• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Take Any Team Lightly.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Serious Business

Recent Stunners Provide Broncos Lesson in Need for Vigilance and Focus

Head Coach Mike Shanahan had a strong reminder for his team this week, Ebenezer Ekuban said. PHOTO: RICH CLARKSON AND ASSOCIATES
    BRONCOS TV
    Jeb Putzier and John Lynch each considered joining the New York Jets. The Broncos couldn't be happier that both are with them in Denver.
    11/17: Avoiding the Letdown
    11/17: Nearly New Yorkers
    11/16: Plummer Press Conference
    11/16: Shanahan Press Conference
    11/15: Darrent's Big Day
    11/15: NFL 201
    11/15: Pressure Pays Off
    11/14: Shanahan Press Conference
    11/14: DEN-OAK: Postgame Report
    11/13: Shanahan Postgame

By Andrew Mason
    DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Five days ago, eyebrows arched from Tacoma to Tampa and beyond at the sight of two scores from the day's NFL action.

Green Bay 33, Atlanta 25. Minnesota 24, New York Giants 21.

"They let a team come in (about which) everyone's saying, 'Hey, you should beat those guys,'" Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer said. "We know that on any Sunday anyone can come in (and win) if they are prepared because every team has pride and everyone has to go home and answer to their wives, friends and relatives."

Which brings us to this weekend and the New York Jets, who make their first-ever appearance at INVESCO Field at Mile High. Injuries have spoiled their season to date, crippling their offense and helping lead to a 2-7 start that came just months after they came within one field goal of appearing in their first AFC Championship Game in six years.

"They're going to look to come in here and spoil what we've going," Plummer said.

So what do those surprising, afore-mentioned Week 10 results have to do with the Broncos' mental preparation for clash with the Jets? Everything, as it turns out.

"The first thing (Head) Coach (Mike Shanahan) said in the meetings was that Atlanta lost to Green Bay and the Giants lost to Minnesota," defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban said. "That's all we needed to hear."

Added safety Nick Ferguson: "I don't care if a team is 1-8; they're going to give their best shot. They don't have anything to lose. They're playing next year, trying to get some guys in get some looks. At this point, those team are more dangerous than teams with better records."

That's a valuable lesson for many players -- particularly the least experienced ones -- to learn.

"It's always good for the younger guys that haven't really been around and don't understand how tough the NFL can be sometimes," linebacker Al Wilson said. "If you don't prepare for a team or come out ready to play, you'll be knocked off."

But veteran Broncos have seen the perils of such situations before. In 2003 and 2004, the Broncos lost home games to sub-.500 teams, dropping a 25-24 contest to the Oakland Raiders last year and succumbing 19-10 to the Chicago Bears 12 months prior to that. That's not only two straight years with home defeats to teams below break-even, but two straight Novembers.

If the message of the Falcons and Giants doesn't impact the Broncos, surely the results of the previous two years will keep the Broncos on guard.

"If we stay focused like we have this year, then hopefully we will stay on alert and be on alert," fullback Kyle Johnson.

A letdown is not an option.

"I know we're not going to follow that trap because I think a couple teams did that last weekend," Shanahan said.

But the Broncos players believe there was little chance of that as they prepared this week. No matter what transpires Sunday afternoon, the result won't be because the Broncos did not take the threat posed by the Jets seriously -- just the same as if the Jets were 7-2 instead of 2-7.

"You try to approach it as if it was all the same," cornerback Domonique Foxworth said.

And that means no peering forward to what lies beyond.

"I can't see past this Sunday right now," defensive tackle Gerard Warren said. "New York Jets week -- that's all we can look at; that's what's in front of us."

This is what some of our own players think about taking any team lightly.

Comment as you wish.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Yep... definately looking past them....
    Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Yep I agree. That's what I've been saying all week. Teams don't show up to lose. The main objective is to win the game. I bet you Jets have that as their objective.
      Emancipate your mind!
      The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
        Yep I agree. That's what I've been saying all week. Teams don't show up to lose. The main objective is to win the game. I bet you Jets have that as their objective.
        Considering what happened to both the Giants and the Falcons on their on home fields that should provide strong dose of reality to the team.

Comments by the players in the arcitle gives the sense that understand that can't take this team lightly.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

"hello?!,you play to win the game!"

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeShadow
            "hello?!,you play to win the game!"
            You better believe it. And we are playing against the master of the that saying......Herm Edwards.
            Emancipate your mind!
            The People's Poster

Comment

I saw that Peter King predicted the Broncos to win 44-6

Thats buelltin board stuff, too
              Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

The best thing for our players to do is ignore it. Now from what I've read in the above article it seems that is what they are doing.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                  I saw that Peter King predicted the Broncos to win 44-6

Thats buelltin board stuff, too
                  Peter King's comments won't do much to motivate the Jets. Now if a Broncos player starts talking trash, that's bulletin board stuff. Besides, the Jets would need a big bulletin board to beat the Broncos in Denver.

Comment

It's a player's job to get up for every single game, but as fans, our tendency to look past teams has no reflection on the outcome of the game. This is the definition of "gimmee" and we all know it. So let the players say and do all the right things in front of the media, that is their job. It's ours to flaunt around bragging about a cinch eighth win and look ahead to a pivotal Dallas and Kansas City tilt that will decide our playoff status; first round bye, or first round homefield?

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                      It's a player's job to get up for every single game, but as fans, our tendency to look past teams has no reflection on the outcome of the game.
                      One of the best comments I've seen here yet.

Comment

absolutely...
                        but: every team has pride and everyone has to go home and answer to their wives, friends and relatives."
                        WOW OH WOW OH WOW...
                        Please take this as a question in a positive way but are the fans, among others, included in there somewhere?
                        NEVER BEEN OFF THE BANDWAGON!!!!

Comment

I DO agree koolaid
                          NEVER BEEN OFF THE BANDWAGON!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X