since we have had post on best cb and rb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topscribe
    Who are some of the contestants at the position?

Paul Warfield
    Lance "Bambi" Alworth
    Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch
    John Stallworth
    Otis Taylor
    Lionel Taylor
    Art Monk

To name a few. While the last three are not in the HOF, they probably should be there. Another who might have made the list, but for an abbreviated time as a premier receiver, was Drew Pearson.

Then there are those who should be there from the perscpective of physical talent: Michael Irvin, T.O., and Randy Moss. However, the status involves also what is going on upstairs, above the shoulders. Many with superb talent have played the position; relatively few have had it "all together."

-----
    you like old school players top. Where is don maynard?
    PROUD BREEDER OF 3 BRONCO FANS AND STILL PRACTICING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clokwork orange
      stallworth way too high. tim brown should be 3rd on that list. good list none the less.
      You may be right. That is just my opinion. However, when going to stats, remember that the Steelers of the day had so many weapons that the ball was spread around considerably. Everyone who was in a position to get his hands on the ball on that team was a lethal weapon. So Stallworth may not have had the opportunities some other receivers had.

Wow! Considering the weapons Jerry Rice's 49ers had, I really made a case for Rice, didn't I?

-----

Comment

hutson? largent? belitnikof?

Comment

Great career, insofar as it lasted. But too short. Same problem as Drew Pearson.

-----

Comment

You may be right. That is just my opinion. However, when going to stats, remember that the Steelers of the day had so many weapons that the ball was spread around considerably. Everyone who was in a position to get his hands on the ball on that team was a lethal weapon. So Stallworth may not have had the opportunities some other receivers had.

Wow! Considering the weapons Jerry Rice's 49ers had, I really made a case for Rice, didn't I?

-----
            Just some good natured debate (you are very asstute). I am just throwing names out there for discussion.

Comment

hutson? largent? belitnikof?
              Hutson, yes, very possibly. As I implied, I may have left a few out here and there.

Largent and Biletnikoff were great players. But we're talking G.O.A.T.

-----

Comment

Hutson, yes, very possibly. As I implied, I may have left a few out here and there.

Largent and Biletnikoff were great players. But we're talking G.O.A.T.

-----
                you mean second best of alltime? don't you?

Comment

I have read the posts on best rb and cb and many good arguements have been brought forth in for a multitude of players. Arguements can be made for many players as the best of all time at their positions. The only position that has a clear cut best of all time is wr. Jerry rice is without aruement the best to play the wr position. He has longevity, records, championships, breathtaking highlights, etc.... Many would argue he is best football player of alltime.
                  I think the greatest "football player" of all time would have to go to someone of a different era. Jerry Rice played in an era of specialization. Jerry Rice did one thing well. He did that arguable better than anyone else.

Any talk of the greatest "football player" of all time would need to include Paul Hornung. It would also need to include some running backs like Jim Brown and Walter Payton.

I think there are a couple of defensive players who could be considered too, like maybe Reggie White and Merlin Olsen.

Comment

I think when it's all said and done harrison and moss (even though he is a punk) will up towards the top of this list.

Comment

Originally posted by tough-guy
                      I think the greatest "football player" of all time would have to go to someone of a different era. Jerry Rice played in an era of specialization. Jerry Rice did one thing well. He did that arguable better than anyone else.

Any talk of the greatest "football player" of all time would need to include Paul Hornung. It would also need to include some running backs like Jim Brown and Walter Payton.

I think there are a couple of defensive players who could be considered too, like maybe Reggie White and Merlin Olsen.
                      agree with your statement. I don't thing there is such a thing. All time greatest fb player is like a unicorn.

Comment

A distant second to Jerry Rice.

I'm talking the longevity career......not because they may be in the Hall of Fame.
                        These are some of the more prolific WRs of all time.
                        Guys like:

Chris Carter (put up the numbers and caught TD)
                        Art Monk (Rod Smith was something like Art MonK)
                        Tim Brown
                        Steve Largent (one of the greatest route runners of all time, good hands)
                        Andre Reed
                        Charlie Joiner ( another constant Pro...new how to get the job done)

I saw all of the above guys play.
                        I heard Don Hudson was good.

My favorite guys not mention: Anthony Miller (greatest hands in the NFL), Henry Ellard, Gary Clark, Stanley Morgan, and the list goes on for WR...........my favorite position, I've studied this position for years.
                        Last edited by Emancipator; 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM.
                        Emancipate your mind!
                        The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                          A distant second to Jerry Rice.

I'm talking the longevity career......not because they may be in the Hall of Fame.
                          These are some of the more prolific WRs of all time.
                          Guys like:

Chris Carter
                          Art Monk
                          Tim Brown
                          Steve Largent
                          Andre Reed
                          Charlie Joiner

I saw all of the above guys play.
                          I heard Don Hudson was good.

My favorite guys not mention: Anthony Miller (greatest hands in the NFL), Henry Ellard, Gary Clark, Stanley Morgan, and the list goes on for WR...........
                          Yes, as WR's.

As a total "football player" I put Paul Hornung above them all, to include Rice.

Comment

Originally posted by tough-guy

Well, that's a good point, but then you went on to name players who also specialized. Of the thousands of players to come and go, it would be extremely difficult to nail down the G.O.A.T. football player. My personal favorite in that area, although, of course, I never saw him play, is Jim Thorpe. However, he is just my personal favorite and by no means the only viable choice.

-----
                            Last edited by topscribe; 11-18-2005, 10:44 AM.

Comment

agree with your statement. I don't thing there is such a thing. All time greatest fb player is like a unicorn.
                              We'll never be able to decide who the greatest football player is. I would tend to say it's someone who played in a different era. Someone who could do mulitple things better than anyone. Jim Thorpe?

Comment

you mean second best of alltime? don't you?
                                If you're referring to Hutson, I mean on the list. I still like Jerry Rice.

-----

Comment

Working...
                                X