since we have had post on best cb and rb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could post all day about WRs

Jerry shattered records. Probably the only football player where you have Hall of Famers consistently point to Jerry Rice as the greatest WR of all time and would possibly make the TOP 4 all time NFL player.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

I still go back to Jerry Rice being able to one thing and one thing only. Jerry Rice was a tremendous WR. He took care of himself and stayed in great condition thus extending his career. He ewas fortunate to get through a good portion of his career without sustaining a lot of injuries. A lot of that had to do with his skill, but a lot also had to do with the fact that he wasn't playing a particularly physical position.

Great ruunningn backs like Walter Payton and Jim Brown could run the ball and catch passes too. They could block. They take and dish-out punishent. They played special teams at times running back punts and kickoffs.

Paul Hornung was one of those old "triple threat" type players. He could run, catch, pass and kick. I believe he even played defense very effectively for some period of time.......he could tackle as well. He could do everything required in the game of football.

Comment

Originally posted by tough-guy
        I still go back to Jerry Rice being able to one thing and one thing only. Jerry Rice was a tremendous WR. He took care of himself and stayed in great condition thus extending his career. He ewas fortunate to get through a good portion of his career without sustaining a lot of injuries. A lot of that had to do with his skill, but a lot also had to do with the fact that he wasn't playing a particularly physical position.

Great ruunningn backs like Walter Payton and Jim Brown could run the ball and catch passes too. They could block. They take and dish-out punishent. They played special teams at times running back punts and kickoffs.

Paul Hornung was one of those old "triple threat" type players. He could run, catch, pass and kick. I believe he even played defense very effectively for some period of time.......he could tackle as well. He could do everything required in the game of football.
        Yes, Hornung often played two ways for Notre Dame, and he won the Heisman Trophy in 1956. He was so good that he was the only player from a losing team ever to win the trophy.

In the pros, Hornung was a two-time MVP in the NFL, and some still consider him the greatest short-yardage runner to play the game. (That's saying something since he played on the same team as another great short-yardage runner in Jim Taylor.) In 1960, Hornung scored 176 points in 12 games, and threw two TD passes from his halfback position for good measure. All the while, he was also kicking field goals for the team.

Yup, I can't argue with that choice.

BTW, Hornung is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and the State of Kentucky still gives out the "Paul Hornung Award" for the best high school player in the state. FYI.

-----
        Last edited by topscribe; 11-18-2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=213

Many will say that what a player did nearly 100 years ago isn't relevant today, but I think Thorpe is another one who can be called the greatest "Football player" of all time.

Hornung, or Thorpe...it's a toss-up to me.

Comment

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=213

Many will say that what a player did nearly 100 years ago isn't relevant today, but I think Thorpe is another one who can be called the greatest "Football player" of all time.

Hornung, or Thorpe...it's a toss-up to me.
            Sorry but I don't know what was so great about Jim Thorpe??
            "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
            R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_5256
              Go to the link TG provided.

Here are a couple excerpts from it:

"In 1920, when the National Football League was organized, the charter members named Thorpe league president. While Thorpe's exploits tend to be exaggerated with the passing years, there is no question he was superb in every way. He could run with speed as well as bruising power. He could pass and catch passes with the best, punt long distances and kick field goals either by dropkick or placekick."

And

"Excellent at every sport he tried, he gained his greatest fame by winning the decathlon and pentathlon events at the 1912 Olympics, only to have his medals taken away because he had once been paid to play minor-league baseball (the medals were restored posthumously in 1982). Although he played six seasons of major-league baseball, football always remained his favorite sport."

This doesn't tell the whole story, but it should give you a basic idea . . .

-----

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_5256

You're joking ........right?

Comment

You're joking ........right?
                  And this guy was telling me how I should answer posts.

-----

Comment

Working...
                  X