Outside of Denver there is no love for Rod Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside of Denver there is no love for Rod Smith

Ok, maybe I am wrong here, but living outside of Denver the only time I ever see any news about (IMHO) one of the most prolific receivers in the last decade is on Denverbroncos.com or Denverpost.com.

I think this is a tragedy. Ok, Jerry Rice is the greatest.... yes, it's true.... Let's take a quick look at some stats.

Rod Smith
    Yrs-9.5 Rec-759 Yds-10,381 Avg-13.7 TD-63 Fum-13 (5 lost)

Jerry Rice
    Yrs-19.5 Rec-1549 Yds-22,895 Avg-14.8 TD-197 Fum-27 (13 lost)

Breakdown....
    Rod Smith avg/yr: Rec-79.9 Yds-1,092.7 TD-6.63 Fum-1.36 (.52 lost/yr)
    Jerry Rice avg/yr: Rec-81.52 Yds-1,205 TD-10.36 Fum-1.42 (.68 lost/yr)

Now, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Rod Smith is as good as Jerry Rice. We all know that Jerry is the undisputed king of Wide Receivers, the John Elway of Receivers if you will. I am merely saying that Rod Smith deserves a lot more media attention than he gets. The man is a machine.

Now, two more things to keep in mind... Jerry's numbers are slightly skewed, I don't feel like doing the math to break the stats down by avg/game BUT here is the stat for Games/yr...

14.2/yr for Rod
    15.9/yr for Jerry

And you don't consistently have the best running game in the NFL for a decade and put up Gaudy receiving stats...

It will be a huge dissapointment if other members of the Broncos from the last decade aren't HOF bound. Actually from the last two Decades there are a lot deserving. But given the two SB rings we'll stick with the last decade. John made it, TD will not, Nalen might, if not Rod, then who?

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

I might say that one of the people who does have great respect for Rod is none other than Jerry Rice.

BTW, welcome to the boards!!

-----

Comment

Welcome, good first post.

What would happen if Rod played as long as Rice did? He wouldn't catch him, but could he end up in the top 3-5 in WR's of all time? I am not a numbers guy so my projections wouldn't be good if I tried to project it out.

Comment

Welcome, I have a great respect for Rod.
        Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 11-18-2005, 04:40 PM. Reason: cnat spell:(

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
          Welocme, I have a great respect for Rod.
          But Jovi, you're a B-B-Bronco fan!!

-----

Comment

Rod Smith is one of the most underrated WRs in the game.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
            2. Taxes
            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Many feel that Rod is in the twilight of his career, but I've heard nothing publicly about how much longer HE feels he can play. He's the type of player that would graciously accept the #2 spot - relinquishing to a promising youngster. He'd probably do the same dropping to #3 as long as he was still having fun and knew he was helping the team win.

Not to be specific, but at the moment nobody appears likely to grab the #1 spot from Rod. Things can change quickly, but even when that time comes I still see solid #2 production from him for some time. And, if he goes to the #3... well, this could take a while. It would be incredible, but it wouldn't surprise me to see RS still helping the Broncos win 3-5 years from now. I, for one, would LOVE to see it.

Injuries or another Super Bowl win (or two) might have their say before it's all over with too.

Ultimately, his longevity may determine whether he'll get to the HOF or not.

The love for Rod HERE is STRONG!
              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                Many feel that Rod is in the twilight of his career, but I've heard nothing publicly about how much longer HE feels he can play. He's the type of player that would graciously accept the #2 spot - relinquishing to a promising youngster. He'd probably do the same dropping to #3 as long as he was still having fun and knew he was helping the team win.

Not to be specific, but at the moment nobody appears likely to grab the #1 spot from Rod. Things can change quickly, but even when that time comes I still see solid #2 production from him for some time. And, if he goes to the #3... well, this could take a while. It would be incredible, but it wouldn't surprise me to see RS still helping the Broncos win 3-5 years from now. I, for one, would LOVE to see it.

Injuries or another Super Bowl win (or two) might have their say before it's all over with too.

Ultimately, his longevity may determine whether he'll get to the HOF or not.

The love for Rod HERE is STRONG!
                I just got through pointing out in another thread that Rod is in line to finish the regular season with 1,086 yards on 84 receptions and 7 TDs.
                In 1998, Rod had 1,222 yards on 86 catches and 6 TDs. Doesn't sound like much of a slide, does it?

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                  I just got through pointing out in another thread that Rod is in line to finish the regular season with 1,086 yards on 84 receptions and 7 TDs.
                  In 1998, Rod had 1,222 yards on 86 catches and 6 TDs. Doesn't sound like much of a slide, does it?

-----
                  Wow... So, we're looking at ~900 yards and 8 TD's on 82 receptions in 2012, right? Wouldn't THAT be something? Sounds like awesome #3 numbers to me...

Winter is Coming!

Comment

Rod is definitely one of the more underrated football players in the league. He's incredibly consistent, is the ultimate team player, and seems to legitimately love his team and the city he plays for.

Too bad no one aside from Broncos fans seem to notice this.

Sig by Snk16, cause he's ****ing awesome like that.

DENVER BRONCOS...WELCOME TO THE CUTLER ERA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by USMC_Davii
                      Ok, maybe I am wrong here, but living outside of Denver the only time I ever see any news about (IMHO) one of the most prolific receivers in the last decade is on Denverbroncos.com or Denverpost.com.

I think this is a tragedy. Ok, Jerry Rice is the greatest.... yes, it's true.... Let's take a quick look at some stats.

Rod Smith
                      Yrs-9.5 Rec-759 Yds-10,381 Avg-13.7 TD-63 Fum-13 (5 lost)

Jerry Rice
                      Yrs-19.5 Rec-1549 Yds-22,895 Avg-14.8 TD-197 Fum-27 (13 lost)

Breakdown....
                      Rod Smith avg/yr: Rec-79.9 Yds-1,092.7 TD-6.63 Fum-1.36 (.52 lost/yr)
                      Jerry Rice avg/yr: Rec-81.52 Yds-1,205 TD-10.36 Fum-1.42 (.68 lost/yr)

Now, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Rod Smith is as good as Jerry Rice. We all know that Jerry is the undisputed king of Wide Receivers, the John Elway of Receivers if you will. I am merely saying that Rod Smith deserves a lot more media attention than he gets. The man is a machine.

Now, two more things to keep in mind... Jerry's numbers are slightly skewed, I don't feel like doing the math to break the stats down by avg/game BUT here is the stat for Games/yr...

14.2/yr for Rod
                      15.9/yr for Jerry

And you don't consistently have the best running game in the NFL for a decade and put up Gaudy receiving stats...

It will be a huge dissapointment if other members of the Broncos from the last decade aren't HOF bound. Actually from the last two Decades there are a lot deserving. But given the two SB rings we'll stick with the last decade. John made it, TD will not, Nalen might, if not Rod, then who?
                      Rod doesn't get a lot of attention because he's not a loudmouth like some of the other receivers out there. He's a team player who plays for a primarily-running team. It's unfortunate that he may never get the nod to the hall but at least there are people who believe that he is deserving.

Welcome to the boards
                      The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

As long as I love him I don't care. I love ya Rod.
                        Emancipate your mind!
                        The People's Poster

Comment

i would disagree a little bit. rod does get overshadowed by some of louder personas playing wideout. but he hardly gets ignored. he may not get mentioned with the top tier of recievers, but most of them are better recievers, RIGHT NOW.

not saying rod isnt great, or even that i would trade him today for anyone else in the league, only that he shouldnt be in converstation, as more than an honorable mention anyway, if the conversation is about the best reciever(s) in the game today.

but if the original poster was more talking about the hall of fame; i do think rod smith deserves to be in canton. right now i think hes on the bubble (but think he should get in), but if he can play another two productive years (and there is no reason to think he cant, if he wants to) i think he becomes a lock. maybe not first ballot, but still a lock.
                          "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Rod doesn't draw attention to himself. Jerry rice also had the benefit of being a key figure for most of the 49'ers super bowls and caught passes from The great one Montana and Cuncussion Young. Besides, Chad Johnson and T.O. just generate more controversy than Rod.

I've never read a fantasy report or heard an analyst talk about Rod in any way that didn't acknowledge his skills as a receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                              As long as I love him I don't care. I love ya Rod.
                              Amen!

Feels kind of priviliged to cheer for a receiver who sets the right example on and off the field eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X