No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to beat the Colts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kidnap payton edge and harrison the night before???
    sigpic
    When you wanna win the game you gotta play it Bucc_Nasty!!
    ^^THX SNK^^^^
    You Da Man

Comment

Running the ball and keeping Manning on the sidelines is key.

On the flip side, in 2003, our defense confused the heck out of him by making adjustments and shifts constantly, and playing very aggresively. We need to do more of that, keep him guessing.

This defense was built specifically to beat the Colts, here's to (hopefully) a masterful set of offseason moves by the Mastermind

Comment

I have nothing of substance to add (so WTF are you posting for, T777?)...the points made are pretty much valid. Keeping it away from Manning via an HxC running game, limited blitz', etc.

The only thing I have to add, is an opinion; I think having rookies at CB is actually to our advantage. In particular, the 2 rookies we will have going...who are fiesty, pi$$ & vinegar kids who I have yet to see with "starry eyes" when they've had to face the big boys.

They do not have the years-gone-by to worry them about the Colts shelacking us again...they just have mad-skillz and the desire to shine. (I love our new CB's, in case ya didnt know)

Ok, that is all, carry on.

T777
        "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Mike and Mike in the morning were making some very good points about the Indy v Cinci game. They were saying that the Bengals were having a hard time in the first half, because they didn't do a good job of HIDING their coverage. When Manning is able to read wht you are doing, he's going to pick you apart.

Right now, we have to be honest and admit that the Bengals defensive backfield may be the toughest tandem in the league right now. THEY were eaten up in that first half. Thats the bad thing about having rookies. Will they have enough experience to be able to hide their coverage against the likes of Manning? Can they disquise and fool him?

The Bengals were able to do a better job of this in the second half, but thats with two veteran corners.

Comment

1. Run. The Colts D isn't as impressive as the media would like you to think as Cincy proved yesterday. They just happened to play the worst offenses in the league.

2. Nick Bill Belicheck/Romeo Crennel's game plan from the playoffs last year (or even the Indy-Cle game this year, Cleveland held Indy to 13 pts!!).

3. Run.

4. Don't blitz. Manning WILL kill us if we blitz. Surely making them run and keeping them in front of us and keeping up with them with our own running game is better than letting them score on 1 and 2 play drives and having to play catch up (supposedly not easy on a cover 2 team, unless you're Manning himself).

5. Get them in Mile High. We all know Manning doesn't like cold weather or snow, both of which are probably in January in Denver

6-10. Run the ball

Comment

The Broncos secondary is good, but is NOT better as a unit than the Bengals, who have former Broncos Deltha O'Neal who has emerged as one of the best CBs in the league and has 6 ints and 1 FF. He's playing great this year and will probably be in the pro-bowl again. You saw him make some good plays in the game, including that strip in the endzone to keep the Bengals in the game. Former Bronco Tory James is the other CB and he has 4 ints. Those guys form one of the top CB tandems in the league and they were TORCHED during the game.
              Have you been watching the Bengals this year? O'Neal got half those interceptions in one ridiculous game (and mostly due to bad throws or lucky tips) and has been inconsistant all year. He gets confused out there and is NOT the kind of DB you want against Manning.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                Mike and Mike in the morning were making some very good points about the Indy v Cinci game. They were saying that the Bengals were having a hard time in the first half, because they didn't do a good job of HIDING their coverage. When Manning is able to read wht you are doing, he's going to pick you apart.

Right now, we have to be honest and admit that the Bengals defensive backfield may be the toughest tandem in the league right now. THEY were eaten up in that first half. Thats the bad thing about having rookies. Will they have enough experience to be able to hide their coverage against the likes of Manning? Can they disquise and fool him?

The Bengals were able to do a better job of this in the second half, but thats with two veteran corners.
                Reggie Wayne ate Tory James' lunch. Then beat him like he stole something. Peyton sold him on every fake in the book, and I think he even wrote a few new ones. To beat the Colts you can't allow a player to beat you that badly, veteran or not. He used the blitz against Cinci, which is why you need to be able to generate pressure from the front 4 to win.
                "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                  Have you been watching the Bengals this year? O'Neal got half those interceptions in one ridiculous game (and mostly due to bad throws or lucky tips) and has been inconsistant all year. He gets confused out there and is NOT the kind of DB you want against Manning.
                  I don't know what you're smoking but right now Deltha O'Neal is being talked about as having a pro-bowl season. He's got 44 tackles/assists, 6 Ints, 1 FF. That's a pretty good season right there!

The Bengals give up 204 passing yards a game, the Broncos 240.

Best of all the Bengals are +20 turnover ratio. That's amazing. Oh, and they're 7-3 on the season.

So, they must be doing something right. People making excuses about how many he got in 1 game. So, what?

The Broncos think their pass defense is good, despite being ranked 28th in the league, because they make big plays. They have a point. The Bengals make even more big plays on defense! (And NO I still don't like them).

My POINT: Reality check. The Broncos pass defense would be in just as much trouble against Manning as the Bengals' was.

If the Broncos are to win, they need to run the ball successfully and keep Manning off the field, and stop him from turning the game into a shoot-out. Because, they have NO chance at winning that kind of game, as the last 2 playoffs proved. And their defense isn't going to shut down Harrison and Wayne any more than Tory James and Deltha did.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                    I don't know what you're smoking but right now Deltha O'Neal is being talked about as having a pro-bowl season. He's got 44 tackles/assists, 6 Ints, 1 FF. That's a pretty good season right there!

Best of all the Bengals are +20 turnover ratio. That's amazing. Oh, and they're 7-3 on the season.

So, they must be doing something right. People making excuses about how many he got in 1 game. So, what?

The Broncos think their pass defense is good, despite being ranked 28th in the league, because they make big plays. They have a point. The Bengals make even more big plays on defense! (And NO I still don't like them).

My POINT: Reality check. The Broncos pass defense would be in just as much trouble against Manning as the Bengals' was.

If the Broncos are to win, they need to run the ball successfully and keep Manning off the field, and stop him from turning the game into a shoot-out. Because, they have NO chance at winning that kind of game, as the last 2 playoffs proved. And their defense isn't going to shut down Harrison and Wayne any more than Tory James and Deltha did.
                    The difference between the Bengals and the Broncos D in a nutshell? You can run on the Bengals. How about 121 yards per game vs. 78 yards given up by the Broncos on the ground? The Bengals front 4 can't get good run penetration, so they made the decision to blitz and take away Edge. Thus they got torched through the air. The difference is, the Broncos don't need to bring pressure to take away the run. Brown, Warren, Myers and Pryce give us great run penetration by themselves. That gives us much better flexibility to do what we want on pass D. That means no big game for Witten. Champ has more than proven his ability to cover Harrison, and Darrent/Foxworth have both shown that they can cover anyone in the league. Just looking up passing yardage given up doesn't even tell half of the story.

Besides, we all know the Broncos need to run the ball on O (in fact, a balanced offense is better than anything). But on defense, I would say we would need rush 4 or 5, disguise the blitz and defend inside routes. Make them either run on us or pass deep, but don't let them control the center of the field. That's the last thing you want to do if you're trying to protect your defense.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

What do Cinci and Denver have in common regarding pass defense? They are both in the bottom three for sack rate, or sacks per opponents passing attempts. You want a good pass defense? Get to and finish off the quarterback...

Comment

Working...
                      X