Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanny's draft day decision put to the test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanny's draft day decision put to the test!

Not sure if anyone has touched on this yet, I searched and didn't see it.

Anyways, for those of you who don't know, the Jets picked directly after us in the second round of the draft. With that pick, we picked up a little-hyped kick-returning corner named Darrent Williams. I, as well as many other fans, was saying "Who?"

See, still on the board was much-touted Justin Miller from Clemson, also a kick returning corner. Many people had him slated as one of the best available in the draft. When we picked Darrent, eyebrows raised, and the Jets fans went crazy at our stupidity to let such an awesome DB drop to them!

I think many fans were a little disappointed that we didn't get Miller. I must say I was a shade unhappy, because I saw a highlight film of him that was crazy. Of course, all those highlights were in his Junior year, and he really wasn't that visible his senior year. I also happen to have a friend here in South Carolina (that's where Clemson is for those of you in Rio Linda), and I havea friend who hung out with Miller, and he got kind of a bad impression of him as a "party guy" that doesn't work real hard and relies on physical talent to get him by.

So anyways, I was not real torn up about it, but I just hoped that Shanny didn't make "another" collossal mistake in drafting Williams in front of Miller.

Well, hats off to Shanahan. Remember that kickoff return that was fumbled that we gobbled up? Yeah, that was Miller. Remember Ashley Lelie running free in the seondary, 10 yards behind everybody? Yeah, that was Miller too.

I am sure there are other examples, but the way things are looking now, we not only got the better of the two...we also quite possibly got the two best corners in the draft in Williams and Foxworth.

Anyways, if you watch the highlights by Brom or whatever, Miller's number is 22...and I for one am glad as heck he isn't in Orange and Blue!!

Originally posted by Perry1977
    and I havea friend who hung out with Miller, and he got kind of a bad impression of him as a "party guy" that doesn't work real hard and relies on physical talent to get him by.
    So it was always "Miller Time"

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline
      So it was always "Miller Time"

ROFL!!

Comment

I remember his name at draft time and there were several people on here who were calling for Miller's name over D will. I never saw Miller play in College so I didn't have an impression of him.

All I can say now is, D Will has never let a WR get as open as Lelie was yesterday and I am not sure he has mis-handled or fumbled a punt or kick off yet this year. If I am not mistaken, didn't an announcer say Miller fumbled the week before also?

Comment

Miller can't tackle and hold on to the ball.

I was at a football party with some Jet fans and they were saying hwo eh can't hold on to the ball.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
          2. Taxes
          3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Taken Williams over Miller reminds me of when John Ralson took a lot of heat for drafting an unknown Louie Wright from San Jose instead of the over-hyped Neal Colzie from THE Ohio State University.

Louie went on to be considered one of the two best CBs of his era, while Colzie became a mediocre punt returner (at best) and never did anything of consequence as a CB in the NFL.

Another example would be drafting Steve Atwater instead of Louis Oliver, who was "supposed" to be the better safety coming out of college.

Comment

well.....

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
              I remember his name at draft time and there were several people on here who were calling for Miller's name over D will. I never saw Miller play in College so I didn't have an impression of him.

All I can say now is, D Will has never let a WR get as open as Lelie was yesterday and I am not sure he has mis-handled or fumbled a punt or kick off yet this year. If I am not mistaken, didn't an announcer say Miller fumbled the week before also?

Not to poop in anyone's wheaties, because D-Will is a good corner, but he has made some judgement errors on returns. Thankfully he hasn't turned any over but I do remember a muff, but we got it. Anyway, he has been so good as a corner that we can easily be justified in overlooking some of his rookie returner missteps. Besides my preference is not to have our starting DBs returning that often. I like the fact that Shanahan is helping him focus on his DB duties but sharing the return load with Alexander and Adams and Sapp. But to the original post. Yep, thank goodness Shanahan didn't listen to us on that pick!
              "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

I never had a problem with the Darrent Williams pick. I took one look at his combine numbers, saw his prowess as a return man, quickly matched his stats against Miller's, and declared him a good pick.

It was the Karl Paymah pick that I questioned; mainly because I had never heard of him. Foxworth I knew was a good player (having seen many Maryland games living in VA), and I knew he would make the squad and contribute. That just further made me hate the Paymah pick since we took two other corners. I've sinced warmed up to Paymah and I like his upside quite a bit. Darrent, however, was never a question in my mind.
                “One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain” ~Thomas Sowell

2008 Draft: my grade --> A-

Comment

Working...
                X