Problem with a rule!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kilkizan
    Cheap/Crafty there is no difference, they are both a tactic used by somebody who knows they cannot compete on a level playing field. I want to see DBs winning the battle with the reciever for the ball, not because they can push them out of bounds but because they test their athletic skills agenst the WRs skills and win. I wouldnt have complained if Law covered Bell and broke the pass up or if Bell even caused Offensive PI, but to push somebody out of bounds and then think you are good is just sad.

Football is a agressive sport and hence why I watch, but I want to watch good players who can compete and not cheat to win. Personally I think the Colts have ruined most of the job a DB does and that they should revert some of those rules to gift the Colts wins, but this is one that is just dumb.
    The WR has an advantage over DB's any way and now with the 5 yard contact rule it makes it even harder. You are talking about true athletic skills for a DB but all the rules are in favor of the WR. It is not an even playing field to begin with and this is a rule that DB's can use to somewhat even the field out.

Everybody is talking about physical and athletic skills. The team with the most athleticism doesn't always win. It is the team with the best schemes and team work that wins. Little battles within the war is what wins games. The WR and CB battle is one of them and this tactic is part of it.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Comment

If the WR is forced out in the 5 yard chuck zone, it's his own fault and the penalty will be called if he is the first one to touch the ball.

If he's forced out outside of the 5 yard chuck zone, it's illegal contact on the defense.
      Where does the abuse of end? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Atwater His Ass
        If the WR is forced out in the 5 yard chuck zone, it's his own fault and the penalty will be called if he is the first one to touch the ball.

If he's forced out outside of the 5 yard chuck zone, it's illegal contact on the defense.
        Sometimes it takes only a few words to make a lot of sense . . .

-----

Comment

Well I can understand the rule. It has been around for some time. It is one of those rules that may only be flagged about 9 or 10 times a year.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
            Because if you're doing it intentionally it's defensive holding & interference.

The wideout has no business being that close to the line within the 5 yard "chuck zone". Anything after that (if pushed) HAS to be holding on the D.
            Exactly, and we would do it too. The reason Law was 'burned' is that he knew Bell was out of the picture and he could go cover somewhere else.
            Last edited by SkyFlash1; 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kilkizan
              Cheap/Crafty there is no difference, they are both a tactic used by somebody who knows they cannot compete on a level playing field. I want to see DBs winning the battle with the reciever for the ball, not because they can push them out of bounds but because they test their athletic skills agenst the WRs skills and win. I wouldnt have complained if Law covered Bell and broke the pass up or if Bell even caused Offensive PI, but to push somebody out of bounds and then think you are good is just sad.

Football is a agressive sport and hence why I watch, but I want to watch good players who can compete and not cheat to win. Personally I think the Colts have ruined most of the job a DB does and that they should revert some of those rules to gift the Colts wins, but this is one that is just dumb.
              Uhmm. Law DID win the battle. HE was PHYSICAL.. and PHYSICALLY pushed Bell out of bounds. Thats not cheating, and thats not cheap. Thats using the field to your advantage. Would you say its cheap if the defender in a zone plays off a running back, knowing that the sidelines are keeping the RB in bounds? Thats using the field to your advantage. Why do you think its easier to defend the pass near the endzone?? Because the DBs know the WRs can't run deep.... is that cheating or being cheap??? No. Its using the field to your advantage.

IF BELL would have been an experience WR, not only would have not gone out of bounds, but he would have known HOW to re-establish himself in bounds before catching the ball. Yes, you CAN do that. You just make an obvious effort to get BACK into the field of play before progressing UP the field. You can't run up the field further while remaining outside the sidelines.

You see this rule apply on Punts ALlll the time, where the kicking team sprint man runs up and is pushed outside the sidelines.. they ahve to re-establish themseves into the playing field before touching the ball first.

OTherwise, (as someone already touched on).. WRs could run OUTSIDE the sidelines, to avoid the bump and run, and just run up the outside of the sidelines..using his team mates standing there as screens.

I learned in HIGH SCHOOL to push the WR out of bounds at the snap if you could. This is something EVERY defensive back does... probably since the start of the NFL. Bell was the one that boo-boo'd...not Law. Thats why Law is considered one of the VERY best at what he does... he's smart AND athletic.

The fact that you think the rule "re-instatement" was to help the Colts, shows that you have a 'conspiracy' type personality. Everything is tuned to go against you isn't it?

Comment

Working...
              X