FoxSports Power Rankings-Denver #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kilkizan
    Because it uses math over opinions? Or because it is part of Fox?
    Yes.

Personally I think its great and cant wait to beat the Boyz and keep that #1 spot for the next few weeks! If Indy would just lose 2 ACF games and we can finish perfect we get home field... Start rooting for Indy's AFC opponits! and the Bronco's of course.
    I am! Next Monday night I believe the Steelers will hand the Colts their first defeat of the season. Number two will be by the Chargers.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
      Stats are for losers.

Stats are nothing but a byproduct. If a team blows out a weak opponent and runs up the score and end up with 600 yards of offense compared to say ... 100 for the other team should they be number one? Or should the team in a hard fought game that sat on the ball at the end be number one?

I say the latter.
      Hold up there a sec. That's exactly why this type of polling works more effectively than other methods. You just said it - if you run your stats up against a weaker team, this method compensates for that because of the weak schedule modifier. A hard fought game between a tough opponent (or equally matched) will count for more. And this is why the Colts are not in first place in this poll (yet their fans whined enough that the writer had to add an explanation -- pathetic).
      The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

So true,

after all the Jets are Super Bowl bound. Denver was lucky to get out of there alive. After that game - man. Who would have that such an awesome team would play so poorly ( YES THIS IS SARCASM )

Why did Denver move up?

The Colts played the Bengals and won. In a game that many people thought the Bengals would win. The Colts won. They should be #1. Denver should be #2. Denver should have the asterisk. The Jets and the Raiders playing them? Come on.
        If you would take the time to read any of the background on Foxsports(FootballOutsiders) approach, you would have an inkling of why they are rating the teams this way. In a nutshell, they factor in "strength-of-schedule" into the rankings. They have calculated that the Colts have the easiest schedule they have ever calculated since they've been doing this (for example, the colts have played 4 team with two or LESS wins thus far in this season). The ONLY team the broncos have played with as few as two wins is the Jets. They have also determined that when the broncos have played somewhat weaker teams they have beaten them by more than the colts have beaten their weaker teams.

When the colts finally faced a tough team they had a tough time beating them, so they don't get huge credit for that. If they continue on to beat the Steelers and San Diego they will get credit for beating tougher teams and will be back on top of the rankings.

They analyze every play in each game and calculate how well or poorly each team and player did toward winning the game. They attempt to use statistics to determine rankings, rather than making them up based on nothing at all. Based on that they come up with their rankings, rather than just saying "I think so-and-so is best because I think so."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
          I have to agree. SO many people here were betting the the Colts wo uldn't come out of this game a winner. They play there toughest oppenent of the season, and walk away with over 30 points on offense... we beat a team that starts their #5 QB, and we move up? Doesn't make sense. UNTIL someone actually beats the Colts.. I have to say that THEY are the best team in the NFL right now. If WE were 10-0, and someone was trying to say we were #2..... YOU PEOPLE WOULD BE HAVING A HEART ATTACK by screaming so much!

You guys would be claiming "conspiracy" again! You guys would be yelling how the media and the NFL just LOVES the Colts, and this is all BS! *laughs* No one can show me why Manning and his Colts aren't the best team in football. Not yet.
          We didn't "move up". If you look at their actual ranking for the previous week they already had the broncos at #1. Why would you have the broncos drop in the rankings just because they took care of business against a weaker team--particularly since FOUR of the colts wins came against teams with the same number of losses or MORE than the jets???? And the broncos beat the jets more convincingly than the colts beat their four patsies.

Why should the colts jump hugely in the rankings after they finally beat a top tier team when all along they've been feeding on patsies??? I would argue that the colts likely ARE the top team in football, but they just haven't had the chance to prove it. If they continue on to beat the Steelers (with Roethlisberger (sp?)), and San Diego, they will be better able to support the claim as top team in the league. They DEFINITELY have the best record--they just haven't had the chance to prove how tough they are against some of the best teams.

On the other hand, Denver has played a much tougher schedule thus far (compared with the colts) and is tied for the second best record. This helps create the question. Would the colts have done as well with Denver's schedule? I personally think they would (though I think they'd already have one loss).

Comment

All of these wasted electrons make it pretty clear why everybody hates the BCS, and why people love the NFL... Screw the rankings, in this league, ya gotta play the GAME! It will only count at the end of the regular season, then onto the playoff seedings. The rest is just so much shtuff!!

Comment

Now, this here, does offend me. I consider it very offensive that you would say such a thing. You have had a bone (Not a Dawg Bone) with me ever since you joined. Even in non-football forums you have berated me. I, honestly, do not know what I have done to offend you so much. Maybe you consider me a threat because next year the Broncos play the Browns in Cleveland? I don't know.
              I don't like you and I never will like you................that is no secret!
              I hate every Browns fan for being a classless lowlife!
              They booed the GREATEST QB OFF ALL TIME in Canton last year, and I witnessed that disgrace!
              I believe that all your posts are horse manure and a joke.
              I will get my plane tickets to go and see that game next year and cheer the SB champ Broncos kick your Brownies all over the field for 60 minutes..................

Yes, Droughns IS the ONLY skilled player in that college roster in Loser-land.....

Comment

I suppose I could be happy that I am on your mind so much.

I remember why you were on my ignore now. I think you can go back to it.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by PR-Broncomaniac
                  I don't like you and I never will like you................that is no secret!
                  I hate every Browns fan for being a classless lowlife!
                  They booed the GREATEST QB OFF ALL TIME in Canton last year, and I witnessed that disgrace!
                  I believe that all your posts are horse manure and a joke.
                  I will get my plane tickets to go and see that game next year and cheer the SB champ Broncos kick your Brownies all over the field for 60 minutes..................

Yes, Droughns IS the ONLY skilled player in that college roster in Loser-land.....
                  Jeeez. Thats a lil harsh, isn't it? You do know the definition of "prejudice"...right?

Comment

Working...
                  X