Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some Questions Answered, Read This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Questions Answered, Read This.

I read this on The Sporting News' web site and thought you all might like to see it for yourselves. The two things that popped out at me were the paragraphs Scouting Report and Problem Spot.

Broncos Team Report
    11/20/2005

By Lee Rasizer
    Rocky Mountain News

LEAD ANALYSIS: The Broncos are on pace to face the fewest rushing attempts in a non-strike season in team history. That was the case even before the New York Jets on Sunday tried just seven rushes, a low in franchise history for an opponent, bringing the Broncos' season total to 198 attempts against them. The biggest reason they've been tested so infrequently is the substantial leads that Denver has built during first halves, putting opponents into pass-only mode. The Broncos also have done a solid job keeping teams bottled up with their speed at linebacker and physical play up front, so opponents are taking their chances attacking a secondary that at various points this season has featured three rookies on the field at once. . . .

The victory over the New York Jets may be more than a case of one of the league's powers beating up on a struggling team. It may prove that Denver finally has learned to maintain its focus against the NFL's lower-run teams, particularly at home. The Broncos, undefeated through six weeks at Invesco Field at Mile High, lost games the last three seasons in November in which they were heavily favored in their backyard. Chalk it up to a veteran leadership core and a group of players that have endured the previous letdowns. Denver hasn't finished undefeated at home since doing it three straight years from 1996-98 but has a good chance at duplicating that feat, with games left against Baltimore (4-7) and Oakland (5-6). . . .

One component that can't be planned through personnel moves or film study is luck. One prime example: QB Jake Plummer, whose interception-free streak now is the fourth-longest in the last 10 years, admitted balls that previously hung up like spaceships are falling to the ground or off defenders' hands. The good fortune has also translated to injuries. The Broncos have lost only four games total among their 22 starters to injury, with CB Champ Bailey sitting out two games and CB Darrent Williams and DE Courtney Brown one each.

SCOUTING REPORT: WR Ashley Lelie has been the biggest loser as the Broncos have leaned on the running game and controlled passing attack. And though Lelie has done a better job running intermediate routes, something he worked on diligently this off-season in an attempt to round out his game, he remains at best a second option for Plummer behind Rod Smith and is still trying to develop trust in that realm. In the past few weeks, Lelie has demonstrated he can still use his top-end speed to run past defenders and displayed the superb body control that made him one of the league's top deep threats in the past two years. As a result, his per-catch average is creeping up. But the coaching staff has been most pleased by how he competes physically for the ball in the air and sacrifices his body over the middle. Lelie continues to be a willing blocker downfield in the run game.

PROBLEM SPOT: The Broncos' kickoff return unit has been pedestrian all season despite the addition of rookie Darrent Williams. But perhaps that should have been expected. Williams is a natural punt returner who has only limited experience both in high school and college on kickoffs. The Broncos have replaced Williams with Roc Alexander. The stated reason is to allow the rookie to rest, given his starting role at cornerback. Still, Alexander handled kickoffs throughout his career at the University of Washington and has the school's third-best all-time average and a better feel for the role.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Originally posted by TXBRONC
    I read this on The Sporting News' web site and thought you all might like to see it for yourselves. The two things that popped out at me were the paragraphs Scouting Report and Problem Spot.

Broncos Team Report
    11/20/2005

By Lee Rasizer
    Rocky Mountain News

LEAD ANALYSIS: The Broncos are on pace to face the fewest rushing attempts in a non-strike season in team history. That was the case even before the New York Jets on Sunday tried just seven rushes, a low in franchise history for an opponent, bringing the Broncos' season total to 198 attempts against them. The biggest reason they've been tested so infrequently is the substantial leads that Denver has built during first halves, putting opponents into pass-only mode. The Broncos also have done a solid job keeping teams bottled up with their speed at linebacker and physical play up front, so opponents are taking their chances attacking a secondary that at various points this season has featured three rookies on the field at once. . . .

The victory over the New York Jets may be more than a case of one of the league's powers beating up on a struggling team. It may prove that Denver finally has learned to maintain its focus against the NFL's lower-run teams, particularly at home. The Broncos, undefeated through six weeks at Invesco Field at Mile High, lost games the last three seasons in November in which they were heavily favored in their backyard. Chalk it up to a veteran leadership core and a group of players that have endured the previous letdowns. Denver hasn't finished undefeated at home since doing it three straight years from 1996-98 but has a good chance at duplicating that feat, with games left against Baltimore (4-7) and Oakland (5-6). . . .

One component that can't be planned through personnel moves or film study is luck. One prime example: QB Jake Plummer, whose interception-free streak now is the fourth-longest in the last 10 years, admitted balls that previously hung up like spaceships are falling to the ground or off defenders' hands. The good fortune has also translated to injuries. The Broncos have lost only four games total among their 22 starters to injury, with CB Champ Bailey sitting out two games and CB Darrent Williams and DE Courtney Brown one each.

SCOUTING REPORT: WR Ashley Lelie has been the biggest loser as the Broncos have leaned on the running game and controlled passing attack. And though Lelie has done a better job running intermediate routes, something he worked on diligently this off-season in an attempt to round out his game, he remains at best a second option for Plummer behind Rod Smith and is still trying to develop trust in that realm. In the past few weeks, Lelie has demonstrated he can still use his top-end speed to run past defenders and displayed the superb body control that made him one of the league's top deep threats in the past two years. As a result, his per-catch average is creeping up. But the coaching staff has been most pleased by how he competes physically for the ball in the air and sacrifices his body over the middle. Lelie continues to be a willing blocker downfield in the run game.

PROBLEM SPOT: The Broncos' kickoff return unit has been pedestrian all season despite the addition of rookie Darrent Williams. But perhaps that should have been expected. Williams is a natural punt returner who has only limited experience both in high school and college on kickoffs. The Broncos have replaced Williams with Roc Alexander. The stated reason is to allow the rookie to rest, given his starting role at cornerback. Still, Alexander handled kickoffs throughout his career at the University of Washington and has the school's third-best all-time average and a better feel for the role.
    I don't care what anyone says about Lelie - he's in a semi-slump which he's working his way out. In the meantime, he's still a teamplayer and still blocking down the field for our backs without a single complaint.

I was wondering about the kickoff returns. I figured it was mainly because DWill is starting on corner now so we can't overtire him during KOs.

Nice article though.. thanks for posting that.
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

I think the Scouting Report is very intersting. I like how it NOTES that the reason Lelie isn't getting as many balls is because of the increase in the running game, and the controlled passing game. Also the quote.. As a result, his per-catch average is creeping up. But the coaching staff has been most pleased by how he competes physically for the ball in the air and sacrifices his body over the middle. Lelie continues to be a willing blocker downfield in the run game. is a great one. Something I think several of the "haters" around here need to read again and again.

I have never really been impressed with our special teams return game. I think its just average at best. Intersting read. Thanks TX

Comment

Originally posted by RBDynasty
        I don't care what anyone says about Lelie - he's in a semi-slump which he's working his way out. In the meantime, he's still a teamplayer and still blocking down the field for our backs without a single complaint.

I was wondering about the kickoff returns. I figured it was mainly because DWill is starting on corner now so we can't overtire him during KOs.

Nice article though.. thanks for posting that.
        The way I read that portion of the article I didn't see it as being critical of Lelie. It looks to me as if Rasizer was saying he's getting the short end of the stick because a change in how the offense is being run. That's something I have thought all along.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

The way I read that portion of the article I didn't see it as being critical of Lelie. It looks to me as if Rasizer was saying he's getting the short end of the stick because a change in how the offense is being run. That's something I have thought all along.
          I think you are right. More runs, the passing game bein concentrated on shorter, easier routes... not letting Plummer make the deep hard reads, keeping the ball under control. Considering how much we run, it only makes sense that the passing game is down all around.

Comment

Oh no.. I didn't read it as that. I'm just commenting on how through his slump, he's still a team player and does not complain. I was directing it to some of the Lelie haters on the boards so it came out wrong.

Comment

No problem guys.

Looking at what Lelie has done the past couple of games if keeps up the pace he could finish with another 1000 yard season. I really think with his ability to get deep that its going play bigger role for this offense coming down the stretch.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

No problem guys.

Looking at what Lelie has done the past couple of games if keeps up the pace he could finish with another 1000 yard season. I really think with his ability to get deep that its going play bigger role for this offense coming down the stretch.
                I liked the clutch passes he was catching the game against Oakland. The one where he was crossing the middle, had to lean backwards because the pass was behind him. THe slant where he caught one hand.... he's been stepping it up, and I think he's really coming on strong and finding his place in this offense.

Comment

No problem guys.

Agreed. If we can start hitting him on those big plays again (Sunday's vs the Jets we got a sampling), it will definetely improve our offense even more. Teams won't be able to stack the line to stop the run in fear of getting burned by Lelie (which is already difficult to stop even with the line stacked).

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                    I liked the clutch passes he was catching the game against Oakland. The one where he was crossing the middle, had to lean backwards because the pass was behind him. THe slant where he caught one hand.... he's been stepping it up, and I think he's really coming on strong and finding his place in this offense.
                    And the long bomb in the Jets game which would have went for an easy TD if the ball wasn't underthown a bit.

Comment

And the long bomb in the Jets game which would have went for an easy TD if the ball wasn't underthown a bit.
                      Ashely made nice adjustment on that pass. I have to admit I thought the same thing. If that pass had hit him in stride that would have been six.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Yeah.. I was really execting that to go all the way until I saw it hang and Lelie having to stop for it. I started Lelie on my fantasy team too... thought I finally hit it right

Comment

Good read. Lelie is the man. He is in no slump. Lelie has been doing a nice job. And if Jake decides to go to him more often we will see stats increase as well.
                          Emancipate your mind!
                          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                            Good read. Lelie is the man. He is in no slump. Lelie has been doing a nice job. And if Jake decides to go to him more often we will see stats increase as well.
                            The last two games he's lead the team in recieving yards.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

No Slump!!

Originally posted by Emancipator

Lelie has what it takes and has shown it when thrown to. I like to think of him as an ace in the hole. He will be the featured WR when the opponent requires it. I looked at Indy this week (hoping for a loss) and noticed their TE was the featured receiver this week. What ever the opponent keys on- Lelie, Smith, running game ect; it's nice to know the weapons are there to create the new twist that takes advantage of their weekness....week to week.

I have been very impressed with Lelie!!
                              This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X