Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerGirl
    Welcome to the site...

If you really want to get into the AF but don't have the grades for it, there is a "prep school" at the AFA that you might be able to get into instead. You go through the prep school for a year or two, until you have the basics all down & then you proceed to the AFA.

Another good option would be to go to any school & do the ROTC program.

If you *really* want to move to Colorado, we do have other schools here that are really nice, but out of state tuition is crazy. Best bet would be to get in ROTC & take an ROTC scholarship.

As far as being sick of hearing your friends say what they say..True they may be concerned about your well-being, but at the same time, they don't understand why you would make a choice that could put your life in danger. You could always ask them about why they CHOOSE to drive somewhere, since they could be killed in a car accident, but it won't make them anything "special". If you want to serve your country, that is your choice, and yours alone. Good luck to you!
    Beergirl very well said, maybe he will take your advice. I certainly hope he does, as well as everyone else's advice. He's young yet, he still has the world on a string places to go and things to do!! If he really wants to move to Colorado, then he needs to know that Colo is an easy place to move into because of the tender love and care the people of Colo give. I know cause I moved and lived there 3 yrs ago. You go Beergirl.
    Well, the one thing we always did when we went into a game against John Elway was that as a player, we had to expect the unexpected. That's the hard part that really can't be coached. And, that's the hard part of going against someone who's a great athlete. You can go against a guy that's a great quarterback and you can defend him. But, when you have to go against a great athlete like you were John, sometimes we couldn't prepare for the unexpected.

Comment

lol

Thanks for the support people.

btw, does anyone know how much emphasis the AFA (or any other service academy) puts on grades as opposed to ASVAB, or other major standarized tests? because i usually socre pretty well on tests.

Ed McCaffrey: A good blocker, a great receiver. You will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beretta 07
        lol

Thanks for the support people.

btw, does anyone know how much emphasis the AFA (or any other service academy) puts on grades as opposed to ASVAB, or other major standarized tests? because i usually socre pretty well on tests.
        Hi there Beretta 07 yes the AFA does put an emphasis on grades. You have to have a certain grade point adverage to enter their academy, your sat's or whatever testing you have done, will decide what your adverage is, they require a very high grade adverage and you must maintain that grade level as long as you are in their cirricullum. If you are in school, check with your counselor, he will be able to help you and guide you in the right direction. I think you said you were in college well to get into the AFA you might very well want to have some ROTC under your belt, it can really do you some good.
        Well, the one thing we always did when we went into a game against John Elway was that as a player, we had to expect the unexpected. That's the hard part that really can't be coached. And, that's the hard part of going against someone who's a great athlete. You can go against a guy that's a great quarterback and you can defend him. But, when you have to go against a great athlete like you were John, sometimes we couldn't prepare for the unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by goodluv4Broncos
          Hi there Beretta 07 yes the AFA does put an emphasis on grades. You have to have a certain grade point adverage to enter their academy, your sat's or whatever testing you have done, will decide what your adverage is, they require a very high grade adverage and you must maintain that grade level as long as you are in their cirricullum. If you are in school, check with your counselor, he will be able to help you and guide you in the right direction. I think you said you were in college well to get into the AFA you might very well want to have some ROTC under your belt, it can really do you some good.
          Whoa.... no, i'm a freshman in HS lol. So, i've still got a few more years to think things through and improve my grades,

Comment

Whoa.... no, i'm a freshman in HS lol. So, i've still got a few more years to think things through and improve my grades,
            Yes you do still have a ways to go you've got time to find out really what you want to do, (hint) the info that we've given you applies to all schools, it's about the grades, and if you want to be, whatever you want to be then do it. You should be good at whatever you choose to be. You've heard how they say being good in the neighborhood, well check it out if you're going to be an airman, then be the best you can be at it, if you're going to be a doctor, be the best doctor there is. I'm sure anything you decide to do you will be good at it. Like I said before you still have things to do and places see.

Comment

When you go to a military academy, you actually don't end up taking the ASVAB. You need to score well on the ACT, SAT as well as have good grades, be active in your community, and write to your congressman/woman expressing your interests. Your school counselor should be able to help you out. Go sit down and talk to the college/career counselor (even as a freshman) and they can help you figure out what you want to do.

There are only approximately 1000 spots available for the AFA every year, which are filled by people from all over the nation. It's very competitive, so everything you can do to improve your grades, involvment, athleticism, etc will help you.

Like I may have mentioned earlier on this thread, if you can't get in via the AFA route, there is also the AFA Prep school, where if there is something that is holding you back, be it grades or an injury or etc. Your guidance counselor should be able to help you find out information about that as well.

As far as classes that you should take, the best thing would be to get into any honors programs that your school may offer. Once you hit your junior & senior years, you will want to take the AP classes that are offered that you would excel in--If you're more of a math/science person, take AP Biology, AP Calculus, etc...If you're more of a English/History person, take AP English, AP U.S. History, AP Euro History, etc. Take a language class. Really diversify your schedule--Don't just take P.E. classes to be able to work out/play/etc. Does your high school offer speach classes? Drama classes? Take one of those, to develop your public speaking skills. Look into some sort of leadership program at your school--if you play sports, see if you can make captain...Get involved with the popularity contest, err I mean student council. Basically, you really need to be an all-around kinda person. If your school offers JROTC, it would be a good thing to get into, but not absolutly necessary (although that would help develop your leadership skills). The high school I went to was ON the Air Force Academy grounds (Air Academy High School) and we didn't have an ROTC program. We usually had 1-2 students appointed to each of the Academies every year.

Do you play an instrument? Does your school have a marching band? Get involved in that! Become a section leader or a drum major.

Anyway, basically, what I'm saying is *get involved* and ask questions. Form "relationships" with teachers, guidance counselors, etc (I'm not saying become teachers pet) Make sure that they're going to remember you--They're going to want letters of recommendation when you get closer to your junior & senior years...Make sure you have some people who could write them. When you do get to that point, write up a mini-resume to make their jobs easier, as well as provide them with the envelopes, stamps, addresses, and any other relevant information that they would need. Good luck

Comment

wow. again, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

i would assume being bilingual would be a great help too, right? because i obviously know English, and i'm taking spanish all throughout hs...

You know, while we're at it, does anybody have any idea what major skills are needed to be an MP?

Comment

wow. again, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

i would assume being bilingual would be a great help too, right? because i obviously know English, and i'm taking spanish all throughout hs...

You know, while we're at it, does anybody have any idea what major skills are needed to be an MP?
                  LOL to be an MP? Nada? JK
                  Actually, I have a friend that just got out of tech school, security forces. He wants my sig other to go into the AF as a cop as well. I'll talk to him tonight, I'll pump him up to make him think I'm caving to his side.

MPs are desperatly needed by the AF. It is one of the few positions that they will give a signing bonus & the recruiters really heavily push "Security Forces" and another occupation, because most people do not want to stick around in those jobs. Unless you go in as a reservist, then you get 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days! Not really conducive to having a family or anything like that.

Yes the learning spanish in HS will help. Does your school offer an exchange student program? As a linguist myself, visiting the other country is one of the best ways to really kick in the language skills. Otherwise, a good thing is to host an exchange student for a few weeks or even an entire year! You get to learn the other language & they get to learn English better/experience other cultures. Personally, I think that the other cultural experiences are very very important, especially for military. Of course, I don't make the decisions about who goes in & who doesn't, so my opinion may not matter...But International relations are always necessary, especially if you get stationed overseas. My dad has been in the AF for almost 30 years now & he was stationed overseas for 7 of those. There were times that I was embarrassed to be an American because there were so many who did not care to learn anything about their neighbors & misrepresented what America really was--Many other nations call Americans "Stupid Americans" or "Ugly Americans" because they will not try. My family, however, learned to speak German (I also added French and a little Russian) so that we could blend in as much as possible. We travelled all over Europe and made many friends all over the world.

Anyway, I'm going off on a whole nother rampage, so I'll just shut up now!

Comment

Uhoh Bcollin's 1.50!

Yeh I know I've let a lot of stuff slip out through the cracks, but I'm not trying to discourage the guy!

Comment

Re: Ya know...

It seems like Michigan has very few Denver fans. My whole highschool has like three of em including myself, so add in my dad, and that's only four Bronco's fans in the whole mid-michigan area. Anybody one of the only Denver fans where they live? I feel alone.
                      I have for the most, been the only fan in Western NC, except when they won a couple of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, God I love to say that! Ive bleed orange/blue since 1977.
                      ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

That's exactly how it was here when they won the SBs. EVERYONE one was a fan and it sucked because I looked like just another bandwagoner. But then, when everybody forgot about them and hated em again, I was the only one that liked em and i stood out. yep good times...

^^^if that made no sense, i apologize.. I'm at school. typing fast. teacher is proably mad at me for being at a diff website..

Comment

That's exactly how it was here when they won the SBs. EVERYONE one was a fan and it sucked because I looked like just another bandwagoner. But then, when everybody forgot about them and hated em again, I was the only one that liked em and i stood out. yep good times...

^^^if that made no sense, i apologize.. I'm at school. typing fast. teacher is proably mad at me for being at a diff website..
                          Same road here! Tell the teacher.....is she hot? Sorry.....tell the teacher who your friends here are and she will be more than happy to let you have the entire class to chat with such high, quality people. We have it all! You get a straight A for this term from your good friends here at Broncomania!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
                            Nor would I.

But I WOULD tell him what I wish someone had told ME about 15 years ago.

This is just food for thought Beretta, but at least take a bite:

No matter how many people you talk to, and no matter how much research you do now, you cannot possibly imagine what being in the enlisted military is like.
                            I say that because each man (and woman) has their own unique experience, and no one can predict that experience for you.

My parents were shocked as hell when I told them I was signing up, but they'd be the first to tell you that their predictions for my military career were almost dead wrong - and they know me better than anyone does.

So here's the point:
                            Let's say you put the military thing on hold for the time being.
                            Let's even go so far as to say that you put it on hold until you get your college degree.

The military will still be there.
                            If you go that route, it opens up options for you...most notably, you can be an OFFICER if you have a college degree. And let me tell you, man...it is night and day different being an officer than being enlisted.

If you get done with your college degree, and you decide you still want to be enlisted, then go right ahead. The choices you make in your life - at least until you get married and start a family - directly affect no one but you. If you decide you like the picture of being enlisted better than the picture of being an officer, then at least you have the choice.

If you go in before college though, you go in with only one option.
                            I'm quite sure that you've heard the phrase "Keep your options open."

That's what I'm talking about.
                            You will have plenty of time to serve your country...but my suggestion is to give yourself a chance to do it to the best of your ability, not just to take the first chance you get.

Last, but CERTAINLY not least:
                            Whatever you decide, whether it be officer OR enlisted, go and talk to people who ACTUALLY do the job you're thinking you want to do.

If you want to be a Marine officer, then go and talk to a BUNCH of Marine officers. If you want to be an enlisted guy in the Air Force, then go talk to a BUNCH of guys who do what you're thinking of doing in the Air Force.

But ultimately, remember that their advice almost ALWAYS comes from their own experience, not from a knowledge of what's best for you. Take their opinions with a grain of salt, and filter out what seems to be their own experience from what may actually reflect upon your own.

And those guys I told you to go talk to?
                            Don't...and I repeat...DON'T talk to recruiters to get an idea of what the military is like. Recruiters are like car salesmen. Their job is to find what appeals to you about a particular car, and sell the hell out of that thing.

If you like the wheels on the car...they'll sell you the most expensive car they can, and then put those wheels on it.

Recruiters don't lie, per se.
                            But they only tell you about the stuff that you express interest in, or ask questions about. Problem is, you have no idea the questions to ask that will apply to the ones you will really care about in the long run.

In summary:
                            1. Go to college first. Leave your options open, and then serve your country with choices.
                            2. Talk to guys who do EXACTLY what you think you want to do. Get the scoop from them, and weigh the good and bad of what you hear. There is ALWAYS good and bad...and the good you hear is probably just as exaggerated as the bad you hear. Make up your own mind because it's your future, not theirs.
                            3. DO NOT TALK TO RECRUITERS. It is their job to get you in the door and keep you there. It is NOT their job to help you reach whatever goals YOU have.

With that, I wish you the best of luck.
                            If you have any Navy questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them, or I'll get you in touch with people who can.
                            Dang collin, you really do care for your fellow man/woman. I also did my time at sea....well I was a Seabee for 4 active and 2 reserve.

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wncbronxx
                              Same road here! Tell the teacher.....is she hot? Sorry.....tell the teacher who your friends here are and she will be more than happy to let you have the entire class to chat with such high, quality people. We have it all! You get a straight A for this term from your good friends here at Broncomania!
                              Dude.. my teacher is a guy. I fed him some line that I'm practicing my typing by going on forums, but he didn't buy it... Stupid loser.

And yeah, I get that the military is a HELLUVA lot harder than it sounds, but the harder the work the bigger the pay off.. (That's a good thing to live by.)

I never thought about recruiters givin you a whole bunch of crap for advice.. That's actually a nice tip, thanks.

Comment

And yeah, I get that the military is a HELLUVA lot harder than it sounds, but the harder the work the bigger the pay off.. (That's a good thing to live by.)

Actually, in the real world, that is not necessarily true. If it were, social workers and teachers would get paid more than me and my media collegues.

I am not sure about how the military works, although I would imagine that higher rank = higher pay. And rank, as Bcollin1 has stated, depends somewhat on tenure, but also on level of degree earned prior to joining.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                                You should check these guys out

Comment

Working...
                                X