Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should the Broncos Draft This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st: DB
    2nd: D-Lineman
    3rd: O-Lineman (Center)
    4th: TE
    5th: QB
    6th: O-Lineman (Guard)
    7th: DB

Just guesses pretty much

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Sounds good except that we are pretty well stocked at D-Line

Comment

Re: What Should the Broncos Draft This Year?

Originally posted by DPg2003
        I saw in sportsline.com's mock draft that the Broncos should take a Ben Troupe, a TE in the 1st Round. I agree that we need to find a young TE who can eventually take over the position, but you can probably still a TE in the 2nd Round this year. I think that the only sensible thing to do is draft Secondry help, wheter it be a CB or S. The D played above expectations last year up until the playoffs, so I still have my doubts about the secondary.
        agreed, we don't need a CB as bad as we do a TE shannan sharpes prolly gonna retire, so then we need a TE and so Kelly Herndon is gonna be in the Free Agency and worse comes to worse we can put Deltha back to a DE and plus we have 6 rounds for different positions...
        sigpic

Comment

We do not absolutely need to take a TE in the 1st round. Why won't some of you admit that we need help in the secondary more than another TE. I think that a healthy Jeb Putzier deserves at least a shot to develop into a replacement for Shannon. He's 6'4", 255 and this will only be his 3rd season in the league. When Nick Ferguson, who was an unexpected surprise, got hurt the pass D got shredded. I feel that in the 1st round we need to take either a CB who can start or play nickel back right away, or a S to interchange with Ferguson and Kennedy. O'Neal has been permanently moved to WR and Middlebrooks can't seem to get in. Walls and Herndon are good young Corners but we still need another.

Comment

I'd really like the Broncos to look into signing one of the "shut-down" corners that are out there. Charles Woodson would look pretty good in Bronco blue and orange. Champ Bailey has also been given permission to entertain trade offers. The secondary would be vastly improved if we had one player to stop any opposing threat. With this need addressed the d-line's numbers may improve due to coverage sacks. As far as a TE goes, let's give it a year and look closer next year. (Devil's advocate says that we should look how Sharpe helped with Todd Heap in Balt.!)

Comment

Originally posted by DPg2003
              We do not absolutely need to take a TE in the 1st round. Why won't some of you admit that we need help in the secondary more than another TE. I think that a healthy Jeb Putzier deserves at least a shot to develop into a replacement for Shannon. He's 6'4", 255 and this will only be his 3rd season in the league. When Nick Ferguson, who was an unexpected surprise, got hurt the pass D got shredded. I feel that in the 1st round we need to take either a CB who can start or play nickel back right away, or a S to interchange with Ferguson and Kennedy. O'Neal has been permanently moved to WR and Middlebrooks can't seem to get in. Walls and Herndon are good young Corners but we still need another.

i agree we absolutely dont need a TE w/ r 1st pick but its likely shannon will retire n if troupe is there we need to draft him...everything you read bout him hes right there w/ Winslow n can play right away which will need...yes we have putzier but carswell is gettin up there n hape is a FA n likely not returning....

Comment

The Colts beat Denver in the playoffs... by putting up 41 points on our defense. In my opinion a TE is on the wrong side of the ball for us. We need defenders. When they let Marvin Harrison catch that ball and get up and walk to the endzone, while they played the "blame game" it spoke volumes to me about Denver's needs this off season.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkI
                  The Colts beat Denver in the playoffs... by putting up 41 points on our defense. In my opinion a TE is on the wrong side of the ball for us. We need defenders. When they let Marvin Harrison catch that ball and get up and walk to the endzone, while they played the "blame game" it spoke volumes to me about Denver's needs this off season.

I would agree. We need playmakers on the defense. Now we do have some but we need more.

It would be nice to get another defensive back to go with Walls and get a safety to challenge Kennedy. I really like Ferguson and I think he is going to make a difference in that secondary. He made some "key plays" in the last three games he played in after he was the starter. I expect a lot out of him this next year.

Herndon I think would be good at the "nickel". Walls has to learn how to intercept the ball. O'neal unless things change will be playing wide receiver. (I really hope we could trade him and get somebody that would help us on defense, instead of him playing WR, but time will tell.)

I don't see upgrading our linebackers. Wilson, Gold and Mobley I expect will be back. (Wilson as our franchise tag player). Sykes and Spragan did a good job and Pierce will only get better.

Our young defensive ends are untested. So how do we upgrade in that area? We don't even know what we have. We have plenty of depth at this time, no stand outs right now, but plenty of depth.

I do think if we can get Ben Troupe in the second round we would be foolish not to take him, if Shannon retires. There are many sports writers that are thinking he will not, Shannon will be making up his mind soon.

We know we need to pick up some help in the quarterback area. My opinion is Jackson is done. Kanell maybe can do the job, but he might be better as a third. Either FA or draft we need to bolster this area.

Wide Reciever I think also needs to be looked at. Jackson or Madise is probably not going to be enough with maybe losing Eddie. So we need an upgrade there.

Offensive Lineman would be nice but they are always such projects. We could use some help there though.

I am really hoping that with the second year of playing with the Broncos that Jake makes some second half comebacks if needed.

Those are my thoughts...
                  Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Ok fine we all know that most of the highly reguarded CBs will be gone by our pick so i suggest Kewann Ratliff.First round is fine with me if Troupe is there in the second round than we should pick him up to but i admit i want Ratliff because hes my Favorite college player.But he did set the Gators record for INTs in a season.Thats really what we need a big defensive play maker.And if we move Deltha back to CB (Shanahan yanked him for a few bad games) well have two big playmakers.Or trade Deltha for a TE and use the second round for something else.That would also work.

Comment

We all know that the pre-draft boards never really mean anything come draft day, but according to most boards 2 of the top 5 CB's should be there when our pick comes up. But we all know that CB is one of the hardest positions to scout, due to our experiences with Deltha O'Neal and Willie Middlebrooks and seeing the success of someone like Asante Samuels. I just hope we make the right decisions this time.

Comment

The Broncos need quite a bit and I doubt that they can fill all of their weaknesses in just one draft. The greatest area of need is the same as last year and the year before, the defensive backfield and especially corners. The Broncos have been fielding mediocre corners for quite a while and Shanahan keeps drafting stiffs.

Both offensive and defensive lines are also areas of concern. The only decent defensive lineman they have, they play out of his natural position. Darryl Gardener either needs a brain transplant or needs to go away. He could do the job if he wasn't a complete and total moron (at the risk of offending morons everywhere).

Offensive line is still way too small to give good pass protection and they are also too small to overpower a good defensive line. They keep getting by with that ethically questionable cutting of defensive lineman but it would be much better to just get some good quality big guys that can do it all and do it right.

Also, there is getting to be a problem at wide receiver. McCaffery is through. Smith is slowing down and his production continues to decline. Lelie has not stepped up and may never be any better than an average receiver. Second year is when wide outs usually break out and he has not done so. Still plays like a rookie, lots of drops and runs weak routes.

So, the Broncos need defensive backs, defensive linemen, offensive linemen and wide receivers. And a tight end wouldn't hurt, either. Basically, they need about a dozen new players to be a contender.
                        Last edited by Aardwolf; 02-17-2004, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I totally agree with you on everything except the D-Line. Granted our D-Line might not be the best in the league, but it has a lot of promise. TP is not played out of position. He is so versatile that Coach Coyer likes to move him around on the line to create mismatches. I admit that we will need a DT to play right away if Gardener keeps acting like an idiot, but I don't know if we can solve that in this year's draft. We have promising DT's in Dorsett Davis, Monsanto Pope and Nick Eason, but I don't know if they are ready to start right now. We have Pryce and, hopefully, Berry starting at DE with Reggie Hayward rotating. If Clint Mitchell and Bryant McNeal develop we will be well stocked at D-Line.

I agree that we need an influx of youth at the WR, and size and skill at O-Line, and also, if Putzier doesn't develop, a young protege at TE, but it will take great drafting and exceptional free-agent signings in the next couple of years to solve these problems. Our most taxing problems remain in the Defensive Backfield. We need Walls and Herndon to become more agressive at ballhawking as well as coverage, and Ferguson and Kennedy to help cover down field, but it still seems like something is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                            Offensive line is still way too small to give good pass protection and they are also too small to overpower a good defensive line. They keep getting by with that ethically questionable cutting of defensive lineman but it would be much better to just get some good quality big guys that can do it all and do it right.

Also, there is getting to be a problem at wide receiver. McCaffery is through. Smith is slowing down and his production continues to decline. Lelie has not stepped up and may never be any better than an average receiver. Second year is when wide outs usually break out and he has not done so. Still plays like a rookie, lots of drops and runs weak routes.

So, the Broncos need defensive backs, defensive linemen, offensive linemen and wide receivers. And a tight end wouldn't hurt, either. Basically, they need about a dozen new players to be a contender.
                            I won't disagree with the secondary it needs to improve, and also the d-line for simply not wanting to argue. But the o-line is wrong.

If you knew anything about football and the scheme that the bronco's use you would know that it is not made to be overpowering. When we won the SB our line was about the same size and didn't overpower people. We had over 2,000 yards rushing as the #1 rushing team in the nfl, what is the problem with that? I don't mind criticism about the Broncos or anyother team but please make sure your common sense is in use. And ethical blocking? What are you a chef fan? A phrase comes to mind with this...."QUIT CRYING YOU PANSY!!"

WR is another issue in which you apparently checked your common sense at the login screen. Yes Eddie is old and should have retired, and yes Smith is getting old but he is still productive. But the statement that second year players is when wide outs usually break out is just plain ludicrous. If anything they have the sophmore slump, hmm why did that saying come about, and they have breakout seasons their 3rd year.

And if they are only a dozen players from being to the SB, then why did they make it the playoffs and have the only team with top ten offense and defense. Granted there are holes but your negativity is old.

How about you fess up to your incorrect prediction about the Broncos and where they would finish, or do you have some lame ass excuse for that also?
                            Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                              The Broncos need quite a bit and I doubt that they can fill all of their weaknesses in just one draft. The greatest area of need is the same as last year and the year before, the defensive backfield and especially corners. The Broncos have been fielding mediocre corners for quite a while and Shanahan keeps drafting stiffs.

Both offensive and defensive lines are also areas of concern. The only decent defensive lineman they have, they play out of his natural position. Darryl Gardener either needs a brain transplant or needs to go away. He could do the job if he wasn't a complete and total moron (at the risk of offending morons everywhere).

so much wrong with this i dont know where to start

The biggest area of need is DB (or WR), but it isnt a dying need. our secondary played very well for 1st year guys. i know they will improve in the second years starting and that will be a plus for us. Nick Ferguon played well also. They held up thoier end of the defense and will do better next year. If you are refering to the playoff game, it was the cover 2 we played that did us in, we exceled against them when we played man.

The defensive and offensive lines are fine. I dont see how you would want to improve either one of them. Pryce is the best D-lineman, but berry and hayward combined for 20 sacks and they didnt even play all the time. Hayward was a backup and if he becomes the starter he should reach double digit sacks with berry and maybe pryce once he gets his sacks back on track, that is a great d-line with another 30+ sacks between them 3 like this year. The o-line is set. matbe capwise, we will have to get rid of salaam, but foster is a 1st round pick with a years worth of experience, maybe some dropoff there, but nothing to serious. We allowed dewer sacks and set a franchise record for rushing yards, what do you mean the line needs work? Nalen made the probowl again so he must be doing something right.

At WR we will prbably draft there 1st or 2nd round, but we have lelie as our rising star and 3rd year means breakout year for most WR's smith is still reliable and the young WR's are being developed in europe. they call nate jackson a future ed mccaffrey jr. he has good size and hands and can take a hit. At TE Putzier is as good as any rookie in the draft now, maybe better. he has the hands that sharpe himself praised him for, also has good size (6"4 250+ lbs.) and great speed (4.6 40 yard dash) so we are gonna be set at TE we still have carswell for blocking.

so basically, you were wrong before the season started and you are wrong about next year also. you cant evaluate talent and you are too negative, we dont need a dozen new players to be contenders, we made the playoffs last year with first year players like the CB's and the QB, also we had way too many injuries to key players. its very hard to make it to the superbowl with the injuries we had. I hope you dont try to bring up "pats started 42 players, tops in the league" well for one, they had their most important position, QB, all 16+ games and also they start in lots of different formations so all 42 players that started wasnt from just injuries.
                              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

You nailed it about the injuries. Almost all of our draft picks were on the IL last season, so its almost like we get extra draft picks this year. I truly believe that Putzier can be a great TE in this league, but he too has dealt with a lot of injuries. Our O-Line has been one of the most consistent parts of the team for awhile now. I think we need some young backups to learn under the tutelage of Nalen and Neil. Ben Hamilton is developing into a very good, versatile Offensive Lineman. The Tackles though have been questioned for the last couple of years. I personally think that Ephriam Salaam can be a dominant T, but everything I read on him is negative. If he comes out this season and dominates he will shut up all the doubters. Lepsis continues to not have any real competition for his spot, so I think if Foster develops into the scheme it will be good to see how Lepsis responds.

Comment

Working...
                                X