Jake Now 4th in Pass Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP for Atwater!

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Smiling Assassin strikes again...

Comment

Originally posted by Atwater His Ass
        "The NFL's system [for QB rating] uses four metrics: completion percentage, yards per attempt, percentage of touchdowns thrown per attempt, and percentage of interceptions per attempt. The four factors are weighted equally."

So how does the QB rating system not work for your critieria?
        Because the end result doesn't truly reflect the success or failure of the QB. The way the system works, one 80 yard pass for a TD is weighted differently than an 80 yard drive with 4 20 yard passes with a TD.

The result is the same, but the points are different.

There's not a QB who would be better (or worse) doing one or the other. That's why the rating system isn't the best reflection of QB effectiveness.

That's also why JP ranking 4th (or Carson Palmer ranking 1st) doesn't mean a hill of beans.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, we're getting into a really dark and scary world with you here... You're perhaps the one person who throws away QB ratings as meaningless... Agents use these ratings to get their guys better pay, coaches evaluate a QB's talent with them, etc, etc... Not exclusively, but they are a strong factor in determining a QB's value to a team.
          Up to now, you've tossed out Jake's QB rating, low interception numbers this year (including a Broncos record), low sack ratio, the team is 9-2... I have this picture of you running around sticking your fingers in your ears, eyes closed, yelling LA-LA-LA-LA!!! There are alot of people working with you here... Let us help you.

Perhaps I'm wasting electrons here.... I just think you ought to give credit where credit is due. The title of the post says it all... 4th in Passing efficiency. Well above average, this year. Season's not over, but for now, he's doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
            QB ratings are the most worthless stat in football. The "science" behind how the numbers are generated are worthless in real evaluations of QB.

Completion percentage, yards per attempt and TD/INT ratio are much better indicators. JP is still doing better in those areas, but they wouldn't put him in the top 4.

As far as INTs not being Jake's fault, it's a two-way street. Alot of his "non-INTs" this year were due to drops by the defender. And there are numerous completions that are due more to the effort of the receiver, than the talent of the QB.
            First of all it is not a QB rating, rather a passer rating. More specifically, it’s a passer efficiency rating. If you take the time to understand them, you might find they are indeed useful in evaluation.

The rating comes from completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD percent, and interception percent. These are then compared to a constant standard and are given a “grade”. 0 = poor 1 = average 2 = good. With a limit of 2.375

For example:
            Plummer’s completion percent is 61.4649. The standard is 0 points for 30% or less, 1 point for 50%, and 2 points for 70%. To get Plummer’s “grade” you subtract 30 then divide by 20. This gives him a grade of 1.57324

The average or 1 pointer for each category are:
            Completion :.............50%
            Yards Per attempt:...7
            TD:............................5%
            INT:...........................5.5%

Plummer’s grade for each:
            Completion :..............1.57324
            Yards Per attempt:....1.03025
            TD:.............................0.89171
            INT:............................2.05652

These numbers are the added together to get the total rating. To make the rating meaningful to most people they are converted to a system closer to the 100 point scale most people are used to. To do this the rating is divided by 6 and multiplied by 100. For perspective someone who got all 1’s would have a 66.7 rating.
            Plummer's rating: 92.52

I have found that as long as the stats are not at the extremes of the bell curve, the passer rating is very useful at evaluating passer efficiency. However, this is but one part of a QB’s job.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
              QB ratings are the most worthless stat in football. The "science" behind how the numbers are generated are worthless in real evaluations of QB.

Completion percentage, yards per attempt and TD/INT ratio are much better indicators. JP is still doing better in those areas, but they wouldn't put him in the top 4.

As far as INTs not being Jake's fault, it's a two-way street. Alot of his "non-INTs" this year were due to drops by the defender. And there are numerous completions that are due more to the effort of the receiver, than the talent of the QB.

Better yet, the W-L column.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
                Man do we need a Mile High Salute smiley, i'd give you one. Ok, just imagine it here -->

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
                ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
                  Ok, we're getting into a really dark and scary world with you here... You're perhaps the one person who throws away QB ratings as meaningless... Agents use these ratings to get their guys better pay, coaches evaluate a QB's talent with them, etc, etc... Not exclusively, but they are a strong factor in determining a QB's value to a team.
                  Up to now, you've tossed out Jake's QB rating, low interception numbers this year (including a Broncos record), low sack ratio, the team is 9-2... I have this picture of you running around sticking your fingers in your ears, eyes closed, yelling LA-LA-LA-LA!!! There are alot of people working with you here... Let us help you.
                  sorry but that was funny

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16

I vote for wins, too.

Comment

Originally posted by USMC_Davii
                      Man do we need a Mile High Salute smiley, i'd give you one. Ok, just imagine it here -->
                      hah, and a salute to you.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Working...
                      X