No announcement yet.

Maurice Clarett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I think it's ridiculous to have Clarett be given the court "rights" to play for the NFL. The rule was there for a reason and for some little punk come from high school, play "okay" for a year on a college team, get hurt, get suspended, etc, commit crimes, then want to be on a professional team is ludacris...here's why:

1) The maturity/education level. The rule was there for a reason. It's like "oh, well, you know I learned how to drive a tractor on my daddy's farm when I was 8, so I should be able to get a driver's license when I'm 14" There is a certain level of responsibility which a 14 yo does not necessarily have, which is why they are not allowed to get a drivers license until they are 16. (Same with drinking, gambling, smoking, etc...) There are reasons for rules & they have nothing to do with age discrimination.

2) He will not be respected. You have to earn respect in this day & age, and just one year of "good" playing will not get you far. His showing up in the draft for this year will probably end up embarassing him & his family. It's kind of like the kid who has no business being in an "honors" class at school & their parents come in & insist to the administration that they would excel in the class--then they get in & bring the rest of the class down to their level, instead of allowing them to excel (I've been in that class before...It was pure hell for those of us who *WERE* qualified to be in the class)

3) One of the big things of being a professional athlete is the spotlight that you get put in. Everything you do is noticed by the public eye & you have to be a role model to a degree. What are kids who are looking to NFL players going to think when they see this little punk coming in as a player, after fighting & winning (or is it whining) in a court to get in? What are they going to think about his "records" (I'm not talking about rushing or other on the field records either) when they are learning about their "favorite" player? How can he expect any team's members & fans to get behind him?

/soapbox for now...

Comment

In the next collective bargaining agreement, don't be suprised if if that 3-year rule is actually put into place with an agreement with the NFLPA. Courts are VERY reluctant to enter or alter agreements made with approval of both sides, unless it entails collusion.

The NFLPA would probably pass it more easliy than you think. Unlike baseball (no cap) and the NBA (soft cap), the NFL teams have only so much money to spend. That's it. Rookie draft picks get large amounts of money. Money like that means some vets get less. If you think current players give a damn about some 18 or 19 year old getting paid, wake up from that dream. They have the best TV deal, and the highest ratings. Allow less polished players to enter (like the NBA) and ratings decline accordingly based on quality of play. That will mean the salary cap gets SMALLER. That money comes from TV and merchandising. Lower ratings = less money.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Plus, a draftee is expected to play and 'earn' his money, compared to yesteryears when the cap wasn't such a mess.
        Kinda hard to be playing when you're sitting on the sidelines crying about the last hurt that big, bad, old 25 yr. old put on your 19 yr. old azz.
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

The way this poll is worded, yes they should be allowed to declare for the draft. These players are legal adults, old enough to make thier own decisions. They can go to school, get a job, join the military, anything they want at that age. We don't need to protect them and say that they are not mature enough to do it. Let them make that decision, and let them deal with the consequences of that decision.

Comment

Working...
          X