Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't you think Bell is an every play back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you think Bell is an every play back?

I am curious why so many people seem to think Bell is nothing more than a change of pace back?

Coming out of College:

Portis 5' 11" 205 lbs (212 lbs now) 4.29/40 Drafted 19th pick (second round)
    Bell 5' 11" 212 lbs 4.34/40 Drafted 9th pick (second round)

This year, Bell has three 100 yard rushing games while not getting more than 16 carries in any game.

Last year in his one start, he rushed for 123 yards on 17 carries.

At this point it is not known whether or not he can hold up under 20-25+ carries, but it sure would be nice to see what kind of damage he could do if he can stay healthy under a full workload.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

I agree with your view. He wants to be a fulltime back, maybe Shanahan wants him to prove himself?

I think he already has. He leads the NFL with yards per carry and i've yet to see him back down from a tackler.

In any case I like the two headed monster we have going right now.

Comment

Shanny has questioned his toughness and how he can handle the load all the way... plus so far sharing the load has really helped bell
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Bell is prone to injuries. He is a great back so limiting the chance he has to get injured keeps his career going.
        "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
        Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Wasnt it when he got around 15 carries in one game (a high for him methinks)when he got injured again? You cant be the every down back when you keep getting injured Only time will tell if he can eventually carry it 25+ times regularly.
          Last edited by ImaBroncosFan; 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I think Bell is an everyday back. But I'm not the head coach. Then again, if I didn't want a RB controversy I could easily say that one of my backs wasn't durable enough to handle 20 or more carries a game.

Well, I believe you can get hurt on the first carry just as well as any of the 20 + carries. I know........that is a fallicy. I over stepped the part of the constant pounding between the 1 and 20+ carries.

IMO, give the man the try and see what happens. But I'm happy with our system for right now!
            Emancipate your mind!
            The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
              I am curious why so many people seem to think Bell is nothing more than a change of pace back?

Coming out of College:

This year, Bell has three 100 yard rushing games while not getting more than 16 carries in any game.

At this point it is not known whether or not he can hold up under 20-25+ carries, but it sure would be nice to see what kind of damage he could do if he can stay healthy under a full workload.

Lack of ability to be the short yardage power back.

When the defense stacks up, he can't find a small hole and help move the pile, but instead bounces off of it. That's the difference between Bell and Anderson.

Until he can do that, he's not the back that either Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis or Mike Anderson is and shouldn't be an every down back, IMO.
              You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I really dont have an opinoin on whether or not he is a everydown guy, but I do belieive he is being used to his strength now.

Like it or not Tater isnt a short yardage guy. His strength lies in his speed and ability to break things open. If he were getting 25+, I dont feel he would be able to perform to the level his now.

If you notice the majority of his carries are very minimal, his stats are some what scewed by his long runs. Take those out and average out his per carry and I think you can see why his isnt getting that many touches.

Comment

I think Shanahan questions his toughness. He is probably got bit by the injury bug a little TOO much for Shanahan's liking. If he can stay healthy he can be one. Nonetheless, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ANDERBELL!!!!

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                  2. Taxes
                  3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

he's a horrible inside runner right now...bad bad bad

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator

Coming out of College:

Bell is not tough enough. He is a soft 212 lb's and can't break off the initial hit, but when he gets in the open field...watch out!!!
                      The three Keys to football
                      1. Turnovers
                      2. Field Position
                      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

i'm told he's a weight room beast but i don't see it. even Q could break tackles better than he can

Comment

last year

last year durabilaty was deff questionable. I think once he has this year under his blet without any serious injurys he will be considerd. That said the whole anderbell thing is working great this year.

Comment

You know, its interesting that people don't think he can't be an every play running back because he can't pound out the two hard yards.

Yet. I remember very clearly a running back that used to lead the league in rushing all the time, but would constantly be taken out on 3 and short, and goal line situations. You guys might have heard of him... although he was small, his name was Barry Sanders? Ever heard of this guy? Yeah... they would ALWAYS take him out during short yardage situations and goal line situations, because he couldn't " Pound it up the middle."

Didn't seem to stop him from being the every down back.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda
                              i'm told he's a weight room beast but i don't see it. even Q could break tackles better than he can
                              I COMPLETELY disagree with that!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X