Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't you think Bell is an every play back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    You know, its interesting that people don't think he can't be an every play running back because he can't pound out the two hard yards.

Yet. I remember very clearly a running back that used to lead the league in rushing all the time, but would constantly be taken out on 3 and short, and goal line situations. You guys might have heard of him... although he was small, his name was Barry Sanders? Ever heard of this guy? Yeah... they would ALWAYS take him out during short yardage situations and goal line situations, because he couldn't " Pound it up the middle."

Didn't seem to stop him from being the every down back.
    while i agree with your intent, bell has a long way to go before you can compare him to barry.

Comment

Originally posted by AZforBroncos
      while i agree with your intent, bell has a long way to go before you can compare him to barry.
      Yea, remember all the Q to Sanders comparisons after the Indy game a few years back...
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

No no no. I'm NOT comparing Bell to Sanders. Not in the long shot. I'm simply saying that the "can't push the pile" arguement doesn't really hold up as to why he can't be an every down RB....imo

Comment

No no no. I'm NOT comparing Bell to Sanders. Not in the long shot. I'm simply saying that the "can't push the pile" arguement doesn't really hold up as to why he can't be an every down RB....imo
          and i agree with this, but by using barry sanders you inadvertently compare bell to sanders. ie, bell can do it because sanders did it.

a comparison to warrick dunn would be much better, imo.

Comment

Im not saying

That he cant be a every play back and I have seen him take and give some descent hits this year sofar that said I still think he needs to prove himself in the durabilaty department

Comment

I also believe that when you are only getting 10-15 carries, a lot has to do with luck and play calling. Take the Miami game where he got stuffed on the goal line, even Shanahan said nobody was going to gain a yard on those plays. If the offensive line can't move the pile, no running back is going to.

There have been a lot of plays where there have been zero holes for him. Having said that, during the Jets game one of the announcers said that with all the rushes that Denver had, they only had something ridiculous like 3 rushes that were for a loss. Having watched all the games, that is hard for me to believe, but then again, it isn't too often they start 1st and 10 and are then 2nd and 12.

Assuming that stat was correct, that means that Tatum at the very least is getting back to the line of scrimmage.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

and i agree with this, but by using barry sanders you inadvertently compare bell to sanders. ie, bell can do it because sanders did it.

a comparison to warrick dunn would be much better, imo.
                Well. I wasn't comparing the players. I was comparing philosophies. Being 'able to move the pile" isn't a necessity to succeed or be a starting running back. Warrick Dunn is another good example. I know there are many more.

I used Barry for one simple reason. He is considered, by SOME, to be the best RB to ever play the game. YET... he was REMOVED from the game on 3rd and short, and goalline situations. If a player that is considered to be the best succeeded with this approach, then couldn't it be assumed that a player that is NOT as good could succeed in a system where he isn't the short yardage back? Seems to me that its common for the every down back to NOT be the short yardage guy.

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                  I am curious why so many people seem to think Bell is nothing more than a change of pace back?

Coming out of College:

Portis 5' 11" 205 lbs (212 lbs now) 4.29/40 Drafted 19th pick (second round)
                  Bell 5' 11" 212 lbs 4.34/40 Drafted 9th pick (second round)

This year, Bell has three 100 yard rushing games while not getting more than 16 carries in any game.

Last year in his one start, he rushed for 123 yards on 17 carries.

At this point it is not known whether or not he can hold up under 20-25+ carries, but it sure would be nice to see what kind of damage he could do if he can stay healthy under a full workload.
                  I think he can be an everydown back, he was injured most of the year last year, so really you could say that as far as his conditioning goes this year could be considered his rookie year, you play alot more in the pros as a starter then you do in college, sometimes a good rookie back with come into the nfl and blow people up for 8 or 9 games then start getting tired for the final games, they have to experance being the every down back for a full year in order to get used to doing it as a full time starter for the years to come. So really untill they let Bell try it we wont know for sure if he can or not, but we all know anderson can.
                  "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

he fumbles too much.....thats the only thing that bothers me about him....the guy just cant hold on to the ball all game
                    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                    -The best in the business-

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind
                      he fumbles too much.....thats the only thing that bothers me about him....the guy just cant hold on to the ball all game
                      That was the knock on Portis when he started as a Rookie and through his first year. Bell lost one fumble this year and one last year. If he was a fulltime back would that be two, maybe three or even four. I don't know. Portis lost three in his first year.

The fumble that Bell lost this year. I think 31 out of 32 backs in the NFL would have lost the ball on that hit.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind
                        Bell? THis season? Even last year he fumbled fewer times than Q and Droughns.

Comment

IMO TB isn't an every down back because of weak technique. He's two years in the league at this point and its still there... whether or not he can overcome it remains to be seen.

There are two primary areas in his technique that are lacking at this point and they are what will continue to keep him from being an everydown back unless he corrects them IMO. Firstly his leg drive is lacking once he makes contact with a defender. Secondly he is very poor at getting his knees up when he's going into traffic.

These may seem like minor points to many out there but they prevent him from being an effective runner between the tackles on an every down basis IMO.

Mike Anderson is an excellent example of how to execute these two techniques on every single play. I look at an experienced and disciplined player like Mike and see him doing it every play, I look at Tatum and see him going down to ankle tackles and folding on the first hit from downlinemen about 80% of the time.

The Broncos rushing game is based on scheme and technique, at this point Tatum's technique needs more work than a 2nd year back in our system should. He's got break away speed but our scheme wants a technically strong runner who is willing to play a role. If Tatum can't adjust his game to fit this role he'll simply be yet another 'change of pace' running back who didn't really fit the scheme and he'll fall by the wayside eventually.

Having said that I hope he can improve on his weaknesses, he's got alot of potential and the problems that are keeping him from being an every down back in our system right now are something he can fix if he works hard enough.
                          Last edited by Plastique; 11-28-2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

For some reason when i see him run i think this is our new beack for the yars too come.He's got the speed , moves, and power. But he does not have the vision,
                            Cut backs got to have vision think of Terrell Davis, He had decent speed, increbile power, moves, and the vision. When he didn't see a hole he bounced out to the outside. But Tatum Bell just runs to the closed hole and try to get out but its too late.
                            But he is something we haven't had in long time a back that confuses the defense.

Go broncos!!!

Comment

Bell? THis season? Even last year he fumbled fewer times than Q and Droughns.
                              Yea, his fumbling problem is way overblown...

The only significant fumble I can remember this year is the one where he got absolutely wasted by Burgess in the Oak. game, and that's very understandable...

Comment

Working...
                              X