Raiders pick up Lenny Walls (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders pick up Lenny Walls (merged)

So it seems that Walls asked for his release, and that was granted since we werent going to play him that much. Nice of Shanny to grant that, but did we hurt ourselves? If Walls left in FA during the upcoming offseason would he have been eligible to be involved in the NFL equation for dealing out compensatory picks. Those comp picks can be pretty important, and I woudl hate if we lost out on somehitng by giving up on Walls earlier rather than later. The NFL CBA allows for comp picks if you lose more players during FA. So this could be involved.

Based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Originally posted by ydave77
    So it seems that Walls asked for his release, and that was granted since we werent going to play him that much. Nice of Shanny to grant that, but did we hurt ourselves? If Walls left in FA during the upcoming offseason would he have been eligible to be involved in the NFL equation for dealing out compensatory picks. Those comp picks can be pretty important, and I woudl hate if we lost out on somehitng by giving up on Walls earlier rather than later. The NFL CBA allows for comp picks if you lose more players during FA. So this could be involved.

A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).
    We need CB's now!!! Champ has been hurt all year, along with Walls, Roc and Brandon. Walls play has been disapointing along with the injuries and he is taking up valuable roster space.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Well, Walls is injury prone (as a Bronco) and he has bproven NOTHING to me.

Aand even if he wanted something, he would like big money next season, but he hasn't proved anything yet. How many INTs did he have?

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

i said it from day 1...we should have kept Herndon....we let a quality CB go because ot Wall's "potential". Herndon started, and proved he was a good corner.

Comment

No one would believe me.

I told you guys that he asked for his release, but it was after Mike S. told him he was going to be placed on IR...........I told the entire story in the first Walls released thread.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
            I told you guys that he asked for his release, but it was after Mike S. told him he was going to be placed on IR...........I told the entire story in the first Walls released thread.
            Emancipator, I read your post. You were dead on. I am not posting so much that he asked for his release, but more importantly the fact that we gave him his release, and the possible implication in terms of compensatory picks in the draft. He was priced at a 1st rd tender, that is one of the things they look at when FA leave, for deciding on how to award compensatory picks. We could have chosen to place him on IR, and then in the off season he could have left via FA. In that scenario he would have been eligible to be considered when the league awards compensatory picks.

Comment

Emancipator, I read your post. You were dead on. I am not posting so much that he asked for his release, but more importantly the fact that we gave him his release, and the possible implication in terms of compensatory picks in the draft. He was priced at a 1st rd tender, that is one of the things they look at when FA leave, for deciding on how to award compensatory picks. We could have chosen to place him on IR, and then in the off season he could have left via FA. In that scenario he would have been eligible to be considered when the league awards compensatory picks.
              You're right about the compensatory pick. That could cost the Broncos an extra 3rd round pick! NOT smart.

He asked to be released after he was placed on IR. He can't play for Denver this year, but another team could sign him if he comes off IR in 2 weeks time and he'll be healthy by then. Look for another team to sign him at that time.

And in the off-season he'll still have some FA prospects, not what he would have had if he were a starter, but still some.

Especially, because every NFL team knows that Shanahan screws up evaluating CB talent often -- and that means that you might sign a castaway Denver CB, and then he'll turn out to be another Deltha O'Neal or Torrie James -- i.e. a pro-bowl player.
              sigpic

Comment

ok so if we get more in free agency then we lose .. then we definetly aint getting no pick lennys prodcutiuon has been low while the free agents have been high ... ian golds alone would veto that
                The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                While he sits by his hearth at home.
                Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Who cares? Shanny would just go and blow that comp pick on a guy like Clarett anyways!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I liked the Clarett pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
                    ok so if we get more in free agency then we lose .. then we definetly aint getting no pick lennys prodcutiuon has been low while the free agents have been high ... ian golds alone would veto that
                    But if we'd kept him until the end of the season he would have given us a possible 2007 draft pick, not 2006. Signing Gold and losing Kennedy, Hayward, Herndon and Spragan will all affect our 2006 compensatory picks; Walls wouldn't affect that.

Ydave77, that is a very interesting point you brought up. It definitely adds to the mystery of why we decided to let him go. I hope some further light is eventually shed on this. As it is, I really can't see a good reason for cutting him at this point in time.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotti
                      i said it from day 1...we should have kept Herndon....we let a quality CB go because ot Wall's "potential". Herndon started, and proved he was a good corner.
                      Herndon got start because Walls was injuried not because he won the job. Otherwise he would have been a nickleback. Btw if Herndon is that good of a corner then why isn't he starting in Seattle?
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                        Herndon got start because Walls was injuried not because he won the job. Otherwise he would have been a nickleback. Btw if Herndon is that good of a corner then why isn't he starting in Seattle?
                        Who cares if he doesn't start. It would still be good to have him here. Depth,experience,and he can play CB he is not that bad like some people say and he would be more of an upgrade then Lenny.
                        Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Compensatory picks are given out according to a ridiculous formula that the NFL uses. With the small amount of performance and playing time received from Lenny this year, it is HIGHLY unlikely we would have received a compensatory pick at the end of the third round for him, even if we were lucky to receive one at all. The formula goes by salary, performance, and post season honors, and not every free agent is covered.

My guess is Shanny and Ted weighed that into the decision to release Walls before they did.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOLB53
                            Who cares if he doesn't start. It would still be good to have him here. Depth,experience,and he can play CB he is not that bad like some people say and he would be more of an upgrade then Lenny.

Originally posted by Stugotti

So you guys would have wanted to pay Kelly Herndon starters money to play part time duty?

That means we would of been left without a good portion of the Browncos, possibly both Warren and Brown because of salary cap restictions.

Herndon isn't even a very good CB in the first place, otherwise Seattle wouldn't of demoted him to nickelback.

Now Seattle is stuck paying 3 CB's a starters salary, and an aweful lot of money for a position that isn't needed.

We wouldn't be where we are today if we signed Herndon.

Comment

Herndon wasn't good enough to beat out Walls.....

Walls wasn't good enough to beat out 2nd/3rd round rookies.....

Walls was an undrafted acquisition....

Shanny was hoping he'd grow up and equal his potential, just like any/every other player....

He was constantly hurt, missing time....

Since when is losing a veteran 'mediocre' player considered a big loss?
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X