• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LB Gold Contract talks going nowhere

Gold talks hit barricade
    Broncos want to keep LB but can't reach agreement

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
    February 21, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS - While negotiations on a contract for Al Wilson appear destined to result in a "franchise" designation, talks regarding another Denver Broncos linebacker facing unrestricted free agency largely are going nowhere.

Ian Gold's agent, Carl Poston, said Friday that despite frequent communication with the Broncos, including this week, the two sides appear "quite a ways apart" and that Gold probably will hit the open market March 3.

"Denver controls all that," Poston said, adding he still hopes to speak to Broncos officials this weekend to forge a compromise. "If they want to get it done, they can get it done. If they don't, or don't feel he's worth his full-market value, obviously we have to go somewhere else."

The Broncos already have stated their desire to keep Gold, even after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Oct. 12 and was placed on injured reserve. Gold also has said he wants to remain with the Broncos.

But Poston is among the league's heavyweight agents. He represents other top linebackers such as Washington's LaVar Arrington and San Francisco's Julian Peterson and owns a reputation as a tough customer during contract talks. It's clear he would like nothing better than to gauge interest in Gold on the open market.
    My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

damnet

Comment

if we lose him, that changes our whole draft outlook. with Gold gone, looks like we may go for DJ Williams or Jonathan Vilma...

Comment

I really don't think he wants to test the market after ending the season on IR & the injury he had, i mean teams have got to worry about things like that so i think it would be in his best interest to sign with us.

I'm not saying he isn't worth it but injuries do affect the thinking process. I hope we get him signed soon, we really can't afford to lose him.
        sigpic

Comment

well on march 4th if gold, berry n droughns aren't signed then we better start worryin n prayin.....golds agent has some high priced LB's

Comment

Originally posted by bronco30
            well on march 4th if gold, berry n droughns aren't signed then we better start worryin n prayin.....golds agent has some high priced LB's
            well i guess the bottom line is that you can't make everbody happy & sometimes you need someone to think of the "team" but how often does that happen these days?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
              well i guess the bottom line is that you can't make everbody happy & sometimes you need someone to think of the "team" but how often does that happen these days?
              hopefully mobley pyrce kennedy etc... can help "recruit" these guys to stay w/ us......it dont happen often everybody wants paid last year we had 1 of cheapest DEF. now if they come back were gunna have big payroll on DEF.

Comment

I dont think we should worry about Ian Gold. There is going to be several players that will take pay cuts and once we get the money he wants, we'll sign him. Remember every team is going through something like this so its not as bad as it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyMac87
                  I dont think we should worry about Ian Gold. There is going to be several players that will take pay cuts and once we get the money he wants, we'll sign him. Remember every team is going through something like this so its not as bad as it looks.
                  I agree. It early, not time to hit the panic button yet.
                  John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
                    I really don't think he wants to test the market after ending the season on IR & the injury he had, i mean teams have got to worry about things like that so i think it would be in his best interest to sign with us.

I'm not saying he isn't worth it but injuries do affect the thinking process. I hope we get him signed soon, we really can't afford to lose him.
                    I wholeheartedly agree. Teams will most likely be skittish about taking someone just off the IR. The Broncos don't even know how Gold will perform when he gets back on the field. This is posturing by Gold's agent that he doesn't really want to test.
                    Fending off Chefs left and right since 1980.

Comment

i think Gold needs to fire his agent then. i like the fact that ian said he wants to remain a Bronco. we all want that! anybody who's am agent for LaVar Arrington is worthless though if you ask me. that damn Arrington stayed and played while his team/brothers were on strike. fire Carl Poston!
                      mum's the word.. cause it seems no matter what i say right here, it always gets deleted.

Comment

yeah i hate agents. i wish they would just ask th player if it is ok, but noooo the agent has to but in and try to get them "highest market value" agents are the reason no team can retain theri players.
                        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco30
                          hopefully mobley pyrce kennedy etc... can help "recruit" these guys to stay w/ us......it dont happen often everybody wants paid last year we had 1 of cheapest DEF. now if they come back were gunna have big payroll on DEF.
                          Yeh just take 'em to the CU recruiting parties, I hear they are all the rave!

From the way the article is written, it's clear that this is just the agent talking, wanting a bigger % of the cut...Gold really should work out an agreement without the "aid" of his agent, and get a move on with his career (no not saying he should move, read the words carefully).

Comment

Originally posted by FutureMrsPortis
                            ....and get a move on with his career (no not saying he should move, read the words carefully).
                            ah ha ha ha ha..... that was funny girl! i often find myself writing something in parenthesis cause after i type it i think... uh oh, someone's gonna take that the wrong way and before you know it, you got like 30 people saying you want Rod Smith to break his leg or something. you're like, "no... i meant break a leg... like do really good!" ....thats funny
                            mum's the word.. cause it seems no matter what i say right here, it always gets deleted.

Comment

Just wondering how much is golds looking for? Contract length, signing bonus, money? Im an eagles fan and carlos emmons is asking for alot of dough, hes a good linebacker but he is 30+ and comming off an injury. What are your thoughts on golds, his value to the team, what type of player is he, character and so on. Do you think he would fit in the eagles blitzing scheme with jim johnson? Also i would like to add im not really looking forward with portis in the division.

Comment

Working...
                              X