Hey Chiefs fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Chiefs fans...

Ok, Im obviously a hardcore Denver fan, and I live in Missouri, all my friends are KC fans and we have alot of fun with it. My friends all absolutely hate Denver, but admit Elway was one of the, if not the best QB ever. Today I talked to 2 guys here and they swore up and down that Elway was the most overrated QB of all time, he was built up by the media, and that Trent Green and several other QBs that play today are much better than Elway was. So, what is your honest opinion of Elway, regardless of how much you hate him? I told them I was gonna ask some diehard KC fans, and they said 9 out of 10 would say Elway was average. I think thats ridiculous, but what do you KC fans think?
    Friends dont let friends vote for Democrats.

Oh bleh

Elway was fabulous.

Your knucklehead friends were just trying to get a rise out of you.

Comment

Personally I think that Elway was one hell of a quarterback.
      YAY!! I am finally getting to watch the Chiefs have a great season... W00T!!!

Comment

I like both teams.........

I think Elway was in the top 8 all time. A lot of the credit goes to his Dad, Jack. J.E. will tell you this also.
        As far as the bragging of "all-time greatest come backs" ???
        Why did you get behind in the first place? Poor excuse for reason to brag!

Comment

Love him or hate him the simple fact of the matter is that John Elway was amazing. He had incredible physical ability combined with a great mind for the game as well. And although the media can build up a guy, they cannot build up the won loss record. All time winningest QB and back to back Lombardi Trophies says plenty.

Comment

Elway was one hell of a quarterback, Trent Green couldn't hold a candle to him. You're friends have lost touch with reality.

Comment

Re: I like both teams.........

Originally posted by AFCWestBest
              I think Elway was in the top 8 all time. A lot of the credit goes to his Dad, Jack. J.E. will tell you this also.
              As far as the bragging of "all-time greatest come backs" ???
              Why did you get behind in the first place? Poor excuse for reason to brag!
              We got behind in games because Dan Reeves was the coach. Due to recent events, some folks here have been raggin' on Shanny but I soooo much prefer him to old Danny Boy. Dan was predictable and conservative. He also never seemed to surround John with a lot of top-tier talent other than Sharpe. Our defenses in those years were also the "intellectual" type that were considered to be the most complex in the NFL. Complexity leads to mistakes and there were plenty of those. They usually weren't bad defenses as I recall but they helped put us in many come-from-behind situations.

Once Shanny took over the Broncos, Elway didn't add many more comebacks to his resume. He rarely had to try. The offense was explosive, had more talent, and Greg Robinson's defenses excel when playing with leads (although I hate them when things are close) as you KC fans probably know.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Javalon is right about Reeves. Not only did he not give John the talent to work with, his game planning did not allow John to use his gifts. It was only with the game on the line, that John's passion and heart took over and he literally carried the team to victory. That is one of the things that made him such a great QB, the ability to make chicken soup out of chicken poop.

Comment

I am sorry but any fan of football would tell you Elway is one of the greatest of all time, hands down, no question. To say anything else is either, 1. just plain stupid 2. said just to pi$$ you off.

Of course KC fans loathe Elway, he chewed em up and spit em out everytime........I would hate him to if he wasnt mine (the best are always hated the most)

Unfortunatley, we could have had a great empire had we had the right coach with John and now the right QB with Shanny....... Timing is real bad, can we blame Bowlen for this......cause i am always looking to lay the blame.......LOL

Time machine anyone???????

Comment

Bottom line is that regardless of your personal feelings towards Elway, He has to be considered the most feared QB that opposing defenses played against.

Personally, I'm a big proponent of Elway. I think he was one of if not the greatest QB of all time. I will admit that in the twylight of his career, he seemed to lose a step but then again... "no Duh". He was getting old.

Lastly, for those of you that insist he was a mediocre QB, think of the numbers he would have put up had he been coached by Shanahan during his prime. I dare say that he would have blown away both Marino, Montana, and many of the other "greats"

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                    ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Re: Re: Re: I like both teams.........

Originally posted by jdslick
                      Dan Reeves was an excellent coach. Your memory must be awful, Reeves was anything but consevative in his play calling. Flea flickers, double reverses, quick kicks.....he used to be known for hitting teams with the unexpected. Dan Reeves was responsible for making the broncos a consistant power. The way Dan Reeves was run out of Denver was a shame. Yes, Dan Reeves coached teams have lost 4 superbowls. So did teams coached my Marv Levi and Bud Grant. The Atlanta Falcons had no business making it to the superbowl. Dan Reeves coaching and playcalling made that happen.
                      I didn't say Reeves was a bad coach. I said he was a good part of the reason Elway had to make so many comebacks. It's obviously a matter of opinion but I thought Reeves was conservative and predictable. Every team has and uses trick plays but that doesn't mean they're not conservative as a whole. And Reeves was so predictable I could correctly predict about 80%-90% of his offensive calls in any given situation. And if I could do it as a fan, I can only imagine how well opposing defensive coordinators could do it. But luckily he had Elway who was the improvisation King.

Now, I don't mean to overly ridicule Dan Reeves. I thought he was a good coach and I actually liked him. And I give him due credit for taking the Broncos to 3 Super Bowls regardless of the outcomes. But his coaching style and offensive play-calling drove me nuts because I like an offense that really mixes things up and keeps the defenses guessing. John Elway had to personally pull a rabbit out of his hat on numerous occasions to pull out last minute victories for the Broncos. He rarely had to do that once Shanahan took over.
                      ------

Comment

As a die hard KC fan, I have to admit that I loved watching Elway play, just not againt us.

Anyone who says that he is not one of the top ten QB's of all time, or was just an 'average' QB, is kidding themselvs.

Comment

Originally posted by jdslick
                          Elway was the focus of the team in the Reeves era. Reeves never had a running back like Terrell Davis to take some of the load off Elway. There's no way Reeves would have lost 3 superbowls with Davis taking handoffs from Elway.
                          That was part of the problem. He didn't surround Elway with a lot of talent. The 3 Amigos were fun and good players but they weren't on the level of Ed and Rod. Sammy Winder et. al were nowhere near Davis. The Broncos O-line since Shanny took over (thanks Alex) was better than during Reeves' time. Shannon Sharpe was drafted under Reeves but didn't become the Shannon we know and love until Reeves was gone. Reeves & Co. didn't even draft Elway, they traded for him when John wouldn't play for the Colts. Reeves was supposed to be an offensive guy but he wasn't very good at bringing in offensive talent or making the best use of it, in my opinion.

Listen, I don't like talking this way about Reeves. This is all conjecture anyway. I was simply explaining why I felt John had to make so many comebacks earlier in his career because a Chiefs fan had pointed that out as one of Elway's supposed flaws. In my opinion, it wasn't Elway's flaw, it was the system's and, therefore, the coaches'.
                          ------

Comment

Elway

I don't know where to rank him on the all-time list, but I don't think he's too far from the top. He was one of the best I've ever seen (Ouch!)

Having said that ... I think Trent Green is having a better season this year (LOL). I'd heard that Elway is having some troubles outside of football (marital and business) but I'm not sure of the extent.

But as a quarterback ... few were better.
                            Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Re: Elway

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
                              I I'd heard that Elway is having some troubles outside of football (marital and business) but I'm not sure of the extent.
                              John Elway single.............woooooohoooooooooooooooooo

Just kidding, I dont wish a break up of a marriage. From what I've seen of Janet she seems like a very nice person and I know she does a lot for the Denver community..............

Just day dreamin

Could Elway ever have financial troubles, god i hope not (if so, i dont feel so bad the way I mis-manage my miniscule income)

Comment

Working...
                              X