Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts...

Portis hasn't completed a full season yet, so lets not sit here and say "OMG!!!! Without Portis we're screwed"!!! Lets break it down.

The optimist in me says, "Portis was only in played in 11 full games this year, If he had played in all the games he would have broke 2,000 yds."

The pessimist in me says, "Get used to that 'If' thing cause Portis is going to get hurt a lot."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The optimist in me says, "Portis could be one of the greatest backs in the NFL."

The pessimist in me says, "Running Backs have an average lifespan of 5 years in the NFL."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at some facts:

We played 6 games where Clinton Portis either
    a.) didn't start: Detroit(4), Indianipolis(16), Green Bay(17)
    b.)didn't finish: San Diego(2), Oakland(3), Cleveland(15)

We went 5-1 without him, not bad for the "entire denver offense."

Next Fact:

Mike Shanahan drafted Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis. I think it is safe to say that he knows how to find quality, and so it may be safe to say that Ahmeed Galloway and Quentin Griffin are of that same caliber.

Next:

Our scheme is good for running backs because with "zone blocking" (morally correct or not, it works) our running backs get to the second level (ie where the lb play) therefore they usually get 3+yds. (COMMENT: Now I'm not going to sit here and say QG can hold up for an entire season, we haven't seen him do it yet. However, I will say that we don't know for sure that we'll have a great running game if this happens, but i'm willing to put money on the fact that we do. )

Next:

Alex Gibbs is gone, it sucks, however our O-line coach has been doing this for a couple of years now with him here, and knows how to coach that similar style.(COMMENT: George Foster might be an interesting pick now, because if this happens what becomes our most pressing need in the draft? I think we get another OT in the first round and OG in the later rounds. We might be going to a bigger line, comments anyone?)

Last fact:

None of us on this message board is privy to "inside" information on the details of this trade, if you are you'd better start sharing, and what is occuring in the organization. I still don't see how we can afford Bailey but if we can then why not.

Quick Question:

How many CB's fit the description of "shutdown"? Not as many as their are top shelf running backs. The best running back in the league is Ladanian Tomlinson and if we had him, then I'd be screaming that this is a travesty, but we don't and so I won't.

Re: Random thoughts...

Originally posted by O&B_Forever
    Portis hasn't completed a full season yet, so lets not sit here and say "OMG!!!! Without Portis we're screwed"!!! Lets break it down.

The optimist in me says, "Portis was only in played in 11 full games this year, If he had played in all the games he would have broke 2,000 yds."

The pessimist in me says, "Get used to that 'If' thing cause Portis is going to get hurt a lot."

The optimist in me says, "Portis could be one of the greatest backs in the NFL."

The pessimist in me says, "Running Backs have an average lifespan of 5 years in the NFL."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at some facts:

Next Fact:

Mike Shanahan drafted Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis. I think it is safe to say that he knows how to find quality, and so it may be safe to say that Ahmeed Galloway and Quentin Griffin are of that same caliber.

Next:

Our scheme is good for running backs because with "zone blocking" (morally correct or not, it works) our running backs get to the second level (ie where the lb play) therefore they usually get 3+yds. (COMMENT: Now I'm not going to sit here and say QG can hold up for an entire season, we haven't seen him do it yet. However, I will say that we don't know for sure that we'll have a great running game if this happens, but i'm willing to put money on the fact that we do. )

Next:

Alex Gibbs is gone, it sucks, however our O-line coach has been doing this for a couple of years now with him here, and knows how to coach that similar style.(COMMENT: George Foster might be an interesting pick now, because if this happens what becomes our most pressing need in the draft? I think we get another OT in the first round and OG in the later rounds. We might be going to a bigger line, comments anyone?)

Last fact:

None of us on this message board is privy to "inside" information on the details of this trade, if you are you'd better start sharing, and what is occuring in the organization. I still don't see how we can afford Bailey but if we can then why not.

Quick Question:

How many CB's fit the description of "shutdown"? Not as many as their are top shelf running backs. The best running back in the league is Ladanian Tomlinson and if we had him, then I'd be screaming that this is a travesty, but we don't and so I won't.
    Just wait Portis just needs to get stronger and get used to the NFL and for the LT thing thats is all just on opinion but he is one of the top 3 no doubt.
    CUTBACK!!!

Comment

Great Post...Explains the facts...

but QG May not last the season but don't you think he deserves a chance?
      fight u dwn the fied..cu must win.. fight fight fr Victoy..cu knows no defet! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shouler to shulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

Comment

Just wait Portis just needs to get stronger and get used to the NFL and for the LT thing thats is all just on opinion but he is one of the top 3 no doubt.
        LT is the San Diego offense, Period. Over 1,300 yds rushing, and 100 receptions. On an offense that teams don't fear the pass, sits 8 in the box and is often so far behind that they can't continue to press the run. Clinton Portis is great, but he is no match for this guy. His offensive line sucks and he still gets his yards. He is a game breaker and would look great in Orange and Blue.

Comment

[/B]
          And the one loss was without plummer, sharpe, and smith.

Comment

yea

Originally posted by broncofan303
            Great Post...Explains the facts...

but QG May not last the season but don't you think he deserves a chance?
            Yea he does
            CUTBACK!!!

Comment

Lets look at some facts:

Next Fact:

Next:

Next:

Last fact:

Quick Question:

That's just the thing though, this guy hasn't finished a full season yet and he still rushes for over 1,500 yards. Pretty Scary.

Comment

you can say that, or you can say that teams are pretty scared that he can't stay healthy for a full season

Comment

Working...
                X