Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do The Broncos Seldom Use Or Have Success Using The Screen Pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do The Broncos Seldom Use Or Have Success Using The Screen Pass?

The offensive line is athletic enough to get into the open field and block for the ball carrier... it is not like they are behemoths unable to move quickly.

It just seems like it is underused or innefective.... in my recollection.

A good screen pass softens the defense and keeps them guessing... it adds so much dimension to the offensive package.

I wonder why Shanny doesn't.....

Thoughts?
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE
    The offensive line is athletic enough to get into the open field and block for the ball carrier... it is not like they are behemoths unable to move quickly.

A good screen pass softens the defense and keeps them guessing... it adds so much dimension to the offensive package.

Thoughts?
    No kidding, that is kinda strange...

I've only seen a few this year, and they've all been to Tatum, for fairly nice gains. Of course, that was when he wasn't dropping the ball...

Comment

Screen passes don't seem to be very prominent in any Shanahan game plan. Never have.

Comment

everyone knew that Elway threw the worst screen passes in the history of the NFL. So I think Shanny has just but them on the backburner for now.

"OFTEN IMITATED NEVER DUPLICATED!"

"....knee injuries did something opposing defenses could not. Stop Terrell Davis."

"My Last game in a Cardinals uniform, I heard them say...."WE WANT JAKE.....WE WANT JAKE!!! and all the while I was thinking, "I want you too."- Jake Plummer

Comment

i saw a 66 yard TD last week......
          "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
          -The best in the business-

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind

Yeah, I seem to remember that also.

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE

Thoughts?
              Painter, have you been watching the Broncs this year? Aside from the 66 yard TD that they have mentioned, the Broncos have run screens to virtually everyone, Putzier, Alexander, Johnson...

There is no shortage of screen plays being run, I can assure you.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelSyxx
                everyone knew that Elway threw the worst screen passes in the history of the NFL. So I think Shanny has just but them on the backburner for now.
                I really hate to break this to you, but Elway has been retired going on a decade now.

Comment

Good point, so why DON'T we do that more with results like that...?

Comment

Originally posted by Reidman
                    IMO....denver doesnt have Q back there....

that man was killer on the screens.....

anderson is too slow.....altho that was a nice break with that 66 yarder....

bell drops his passes.....

dayne is fat lol......

and dont forget that denver does great wide reciever screens....with Rod or Adams/Devoe
                    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                    -The best in the business-

Comment

Originally posted by Reidman
                      Because there is also a defense on the field which has something to say about whet kind of plays are successful, or unsuccessful.

Comment

Good point Painter...just a thought...Shanny's saving those plays for the playoffs. Teams will be keying on stopping the run or looking for the play action if they watch the Bronco film from this season. Shanny's holding those screens in his back pocket for just the right time.

Oh and another thought, maybe that aught to give Jake more screens as audibles, if he sees the blitz coming, audible off to a nice screen to Johnson or TB.

Another thought while I'm writing this...Denver never runs a draw play. I realize that the offense is set up for all the cutback runs, but another great way to throw off a blitz is the draw. I'd like to see it used more, I think MA or Dayne would make it an effective weapon.
                        Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Well . . .

IMO....denver doesnt have Q back there....

that man was killer on the screens.....

anderson is too slow.....altho that was a nice break with that 66 yarder....

bell drops his passes.....

dayne is fat lol......

and dont forget that denver does great wide reciever screens....with Rod or Adams/Devoe
                          I would have thought MA had shed his stigma of being "slow," first with that 93-yard run in preseason, then the 66-yard screen you mentioned, sprinkled in between with several other good, long runs. He does not have Tatum's speed, of course, but he has demonstrated he is not slow.

And Dayne doesn't look fat to me.

While Q is indeed a terrific open-field runner, that doesn't mean we don't have the material to implement good screen plays. Nonetheless, I would like to see more of those good screen plays.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
                            Good point Painter...just a thought...Shanny's saving those plays for the playoffs.
                            I don't think a team can go a full season and save some plays for the playoffs. Maybe a trick play or two, like a fake FG or punt, but not any plays that will be part of a game plan.

By the time the playoffs come, a team is not going to suprise anyone with something unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by skisupreme4
                              I don't think a team can go a full season and save some plays for the playoffs. Maybe a trick play or two, like a fake FG or punt, but not any plays that will be part of a game plan.

By the time the playoffs come, a team is not going to suprise anyone with something unexpected.
                              That's a good point, Ski. By the time the postseason rolls around, a team will have had to pull off all stops just to get there, and the opposing team will have 16 weeks worth of film to review for the upcoming contest. No more trickery, no more Houdini. What wins games there is execution. That is one reason a team may blow out another team in the regular season, then get blown out by the same team in the postseason.

(Hmmm . . . would that sound kinda familiar the last couple years? )

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X