Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we have challenged Plummer's dropped interception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not very clear on the rules, maybe someone who know's can respond, but if we did challenge the play, I'm under the impression that they can only look to see if it as a catch, that they are not allowed to look at the continuation of the the play. Like it could have been an INT but they are not allowed to then view the second part, the fumble, and then give us back possesion. So it would have just benefited the Ravens.
    RIP D-Will you'll be missed

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
      What a conundrum. Jake threw what appeared to be an interception on a 3rd-and-long. The defender caught the ball and took two steps before it was jarred free in what appeared to be a fumble which was then recovered by Denver.

If so, the Broncos should have had a ball with a fresh set of downs. But then after the one official signaled it was Denver's ball, another official came in and overturned the original interception and ruled it an incomplete pass.

Is it just me or does anybody else think it might have been worth challenging the incompletion in favor of the interception so that we would have gotten the ball back and a first down? It would have sucked to add the INT to Jake's stats but wouldn't it have been more important to get the ball back and a first down?

Or do you agree with the late call by the official that it was clearly an incomplete pass?
      So Jake got away with another almost INT huh? I didnt get a chance to see the game. What happened?
      http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

If it did turn out to be a INT and then a fumble where we got it back I would've challenged it for a new set of downs. Forget about Jake and his feelings. Sometimes you just need to take one for the team. Regardless of it being caught or not people who hate Jake will use it as fuel against him. As long as it hits their hands its considered an INT by the Jake Haters.

Comment

The play was unreviewable. The refs blew the whistle, and called it an incomplete pass. It is the same as if they say the runner is down by contact, that play is unreviewable because the whistles blew.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgoavs1921
            The play was unreviewable. The refs blew the whistle, and called it an incomplete pass. It is the same as if they say the runner is down by contact, that play is unreviewable because the whistles blew.
            Actually, I believe the refs did what they have been told to do this year and that is to not blow a whistle until the play is absolutely over just in case of something just like this. The "inadvertent whistle" has been the bane of Replay and they're trying to not incorrectly whistle dead any debatable plays. (Kinda sucks to be a ref and admitting that you might not be 100% sure on your calls.)

Anyway, I just charged up the TiVo and watched the play numerous times with the sound turned up and I definitely do not hear a whistle until the proposed fumble recovery occurs. And the ref who blew it was the guy calling incomplete on the interception so it looks like he waited until the continuation of the play finished up.

Anybody else care to check? The play takes place with about 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by JHoward
              So Jake got away with another almost INT huh? I didnt get a chance to see the game. What happened?
              Originally posted by sportsgeist
              If it did turn out to be a INT and then a fumble where we got it back I would've challenged it for a new set of downs. Forget about Jake and his feelings. Sometimes you just need to take one for the team. Regardless of it being caught or not people who hate Jake will use it as fuel against him. As long as it hits their hands its considered an INT by the Jake Haters.
              I am neither a Jake hater nor a Jake homer. He's a Bronco and so I cheer for the guy. I do not like participating in the Jake Plummer wars.

So I think I'm pretty unbiased about it when I say that it didn't appear to be Jake's fault. Putzier ran his route about 7 yards downfield, found an open spot, turned and sat there waiting for the ball. Jake saw him and threw to that spot at the exact moment the Putzier suddenly took off and couldn't recover back to the ball when Jake zipped it. If Putzier had stayed there it was likely a completion.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I think Jake has said it time and time again, that he does not care about his stats, just as long Denver wins! He would have been perfectly ok if Shanahan had challenged the play.

They did win the game, so it does not matter now.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Actually, I believe the refs did what they have been told to do this year and that is to not blow a whistle until the play is absolutely over just in case of something just like this. The "inadvertent whistle" has been the bane of Replay and they're trying to not incorrectly whistle dead any debatable plays. (Kinda sucks to be a ref and admitting that you might not be 100% sure on your calls.)

Anyway, I just charged up the TiVo and watched the play numerous times with the sound turned up and I definitely do not hear a whistle until the proposed fumble recovery occurs. And the ref who blew it was the guy calling incomplete on the interception so it looks like he waited until the continuation of the play finished up.

Anybody else care to check? The play takes place with about 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.
                  Actually he's right, regardless of when they blew the whistle. It was ruled an incomplete pass which means the play is dead, therefore in the rules it CAN NOT be challenged weither or not the allowed the play to go on. It's a crappy rule but it IS a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                    didn't denver get the ball right back?
                    If I'm not mistaken that was 3rd down so turned it over on downs.
                    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      From my angle, it appeared Shanny threw the red flag, but Jake caught it in mid-flight at stuffed it down his pants.

-----
                      So Jake WAS involved in an interception yesterday...

Comment

Working...
                      X