Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think About it...If you were the coach, would you rather go 16-0 or win the superbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think About it...If you were the coach, would you rather go 16-0 or win the superbow?

Nearly everyone says going undefeated is second to winning the super bowl, but if you were the coach, what would you rather have?

A super bowl is nice, but there have been 39 superbowls. Can you remember without looking up the winning of superbowl 12?

But everyone can remember the 1972 Dolphins, and how they went undefeated--but with less games in the season.

Everyone would remember your team if you went undefeated, and even if you didn't win the superbowl, you'd likely be remembered 25 years from now.

Or would you rather have all the temporary pride of winning the superbowl?

What would you rather have if you were the head coach?
    Super Bowl Championship
    85.96%
    16-0 Undefeated Season
    14.04%

The poll is expired.

Administrator

sigpic

Toughy NOT! The whole point of winning is to put your team in position to win the big one. I would rather be known as the underdog team who knocked off the 16-0 Whoevers in there own stadium and went on to the the SB than the 16-0 Whoevers who got knocked off in there own stadium and ended the season with nothing but a great record.
    Last edited by ImaBroncosFan; 12-12-2005, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Championship over perfect record any day of the week. Pitt went 15-1 last year, does anyone remember that....? Probably forgot because they weren't in the Superbowl. I'm sure a lot of people around here won't forget the dynasties, 49ers, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and currently New England. They all had multiple championship years but never perfect records. I would definitely take a Superbowl over a perfect season but if you can get both in one year, well then that's something truly amazing.

Comment

The reason why the superbowl is more important is (at least for the use of this discussion) that if the Colts were to go to 16-0 and get knocked out of the playoffs, it will barely matter. Then we'll be hearing all the talk about the easy schedule again. If they go 16-0 in the regular season, and 0-1 in the playoffs, that's really not a undefeated season is it? Just because the NFL seperates its statistics by regular season and postseason?

Isn't this the same as asking if you'd put up with a 9-7 team if you could win the superbowl, rather than being 12-4 and then one and out in the playoffs?

A superbowl is more important than regular season wins. A lot of people have said on here that statistics don't really matter. After the season is over, number of wins becomes a statistic.

Comment

This is not an either/or question. So I would choose both.

Who remembers the team that won the twenty-sixth Superbowl? Now, who remembers the undefeated team? To me the second is a much more exclusive and therefore more prestigious honor. As a player, I would choose the second without a thought. As a coach that could be fired for your team "folding", I would choose the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
            This is not an either/or question. So I would choose both.

Who remembers the team that won the twenty-sixth Superbowl? Now, who remembers the undefeated team? To me the second is a much more exclusive and therefore more prestigious honor. As a player, I would choose the second without a thought. As a coach that could be fired for your team "folding", I would choose the first.
            Name of the thread is - "Think About it...If you were the coach, would you rather go 16-0 or win the superbowl?"

Sounds kinda either/or to me.

Comment

The 72 Dolphins also won the SB that year, and the year after that. If they hadn't won the big game, it would have been purely a footnote with an asterisk. There's no trophy for 16-0. And the road to the HoF as a coach is through the SB. Yes, there are 39 teams to win the big game, but out of those teams come every team and dynasty that has been considered "great" in NFL history. '85 Bears, the "Steel Curtain", the Cowboys of the mid '90s.

Going undefeated and never reaching the SB is not a sign of greatness, it is a sign of weakness. No team wants to be remembered for that.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax
                The 72 Dolphins also won the SB that year, and the year after that. If they hadn't won the big game, it would have been purely a footnote with an asterisk. There's no trophy for 16-0. And the road to the HoF as a coach is through the SB. Yes, there are 39 teams to win the big game, but out of those teams come every team and dynasty that has been considered "great" in NFL history. '85 Bears, the "Steel Curtain", the Cowboys of the mid '90s.

Going undefeated and never reaching the SB is not a sign of greatness, it is a sign of weakness. No team wants to be remembered for that.
                Yeah... they'd be almost as bad as the Bills.... losing four straight...

Comment

This is the easiest question I've faced today. Thanks. I love the easy ones.
                  Win the SuperBowl.................Most people know the headcoach of a SuperBowl team but don't know who was the coach of the 16-0 Dolphins.
                  I do, but SuperBowl is still tops......if you go 16-0 and lose the SuperBowl you will be the laughing stock of the country.
                  Emancipate your mind!
                  The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by lordtrychon
                    Name of the thread is - "Think About it...If you were the coach, would you rather go 16-0 or win the superbowl?"

Sounds kinda either/or to me.
                    I am able to read the name of the thread. I meant to say This needn't be an either or question. I believe my last sentence explains what I would rather do if I were the coach. I believe it begins with "as a coach that could be fired. . . ".

If I have any other errors, feel free to help me out with them.

Comment

Why would anyone vote for going 16-0?
                      Damien Nash & Darrent Williams Forever Broncos.

"He's such a pro. He's been everything you'd ever want as a player and then some." Mike Shanahan on Rod Smith

Created by Snk16. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
                        Nearly everyone says going undefeated is second to winning the super bowl, but if you were the coach, what would you rather have?

A super bowl is nice, but there have been 39 superbowls. Can you remember without looking up the winning of superbowl 12?

But everyone can remember the 1972 Dolphins, and how they went undefeated--but with less games in the season.

Everyone would remember your team if you went undefeated, and even if you didn't win the superbowl, you'd likely be remembered 25 years from now.

Or would you rather have all the temporary pride of winning the superbowl?

What would you rather have if you were the head coach?
                        Good post.

I'd rather be Super Bowl champs. The fans in Indy would forever be reminded that there team is the one that had the greatest collapse if they didnt win the Super Bowl.

Sure, you get your name in the record books but thats it. No rings, no parade, no screaming fans.

The greatest collapse ever
                        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                          I am able to read the name of the thread. I meant to say This needn't be an either or question. I believe my last sentence explains what I would rather do if I were the coach. I believe it begins with "as a coach that could be fired. . . ".

If I have any other errors, feel free to help me out with them.
                          Sorry... didn't mean to be TOO condescending...

Really, I think the question at hand is that if you were the coach and you felt that resting a few people for the second half of the last game would give them fresher legs and a better chance at the superbowl, would you do it?

If you had to give up the 16-0 to have a better shot at the Superbowl, is it worth it?

I say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                            Good post.

I'd rather be Super Bowl champs. The fans in Indy would forever be reminded that there team is the one that had the greatest collapse if they didnt win the Super Bowl.

Sure, you get your name in the record books but thats it. No rings, no parade, no screaming fans.

The greatest collapse ever
                            This is exactly why I want the Broncos to blow out the 17-0 Colts this postseason. That bitter pill would be worth all the humiliation they've doled out to the Broncos the last 2 postseasons, and change.
                            "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Super Bowl XII - Dallas 27 to 10 over the Broncos.

Super Bowl XXVI - Washington 37 to 24 over the Bills.

It's ALL about winning the Super Bowl. As Lomax said, there's no trophy for winning 16 games and NOT making it to the last one.

Un undefeated season means just that, undefeated! That would include the playoffs and the Super Bowl, not just the regular season.

Comment

Working...
                              X