The Cincinnati Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cincinnati Broncos

I'm really getting worried about these guys. It looks like Denver and Cincy will be the #2 and #3 seeds, with which one getting which still unclear with two games to play.

Taking a look at their roster, it turns out that their two starting cornerbacks are Tory James and Deltha O'Neal. Do those names ring a bell? James has 4 ints and O'Neal has 10. TEN.

How did we let both of these guys go? What is it about our defensive coordinators/staffs that managed to mess this up so badly? Were these players really that bad, or did the coaching merely make them look bad? Or did they just mature after they left Denver?

I don't fully buy into the idea that "sometimes people just need a change of scenery." Fine. What was it about the scenery that needed changing???

Deltha O'Neal was a favorite Bronco of mine up until Shanny got rid of him. I thought Shanny gave up on him too early. I'm glad he is performing well in the NFL. I hope he gets to start at CB opposite Champ Bailey in the Pro Bowl.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
      Deltha O'Neal was a favorite Bronco of mine up until Shanny got rid of him. I thought Shanny gave up on him too early. I'm glad he is performing well in the NFL. I hope he gets to start at CB opposite Champ Bailey in the Pro Bowl.
      i almost garuntee

the starters will be

Bailey and O'neal

Comment

I don't think Shanny gave up on him to early, I think he had serious motivational issues when he was here. He got toasted far more than he took plays away from the oposing offense.

He is over whatever was ailing him, and is showing why Mike used a #1 pick on him. Too bad he had his head up his hind quarters while he was here.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

now how many of those ints are from people tipping the balls...and does that team put more pressure on the QB then Denver because that matters
          sigpic

Comment

Deltha can SIT AND SPIN t('.')t . That boy most definitely got toasted more than the amount of big plays he made for us. I am glad he is gone and could care less what he is doing elsewhere.
            SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud
              Deltha can SIT AND SPIN t('.')t . That boy most definitely got toasted more than the amount of big plays he made for us. I am glad he is gone and could care less what he is doing elsewhere.
              Thats why Shan wanted to make O'Neal a WR for us. He can catch great "hence the int's" but he is got burnt mucho with us.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud
                Let's not forget a few things.

First, he had 9 interceptions for the Broncos one year, so this is not surprising. (James had 5 Int's for the Broncos a couple years earlier)

Second, while he was considered a great athlete, with the speed to make up for his mistakes, he made too many mistakes. He was burned for many big plays.

If you remember back, the final straw in o'neal's career in Denver was against the Patriots a few years back, when the patriots were backed up on their own one yard line, down by three or four points, and opted to take an intentiall safety (bounced ball off uprights on snap) rather than risk a blocked punt. On the free kick, O'neal (our punt returner) let the free kick sail over his head and had to turn around and retrieve it around the 15 or 20 yard line. In this same game, he had gotten burned for some big plays.

It was after that game, that Shanahan finally gave up on him, and then tried to convert him to WR, because he is a good athlete.

It might be worth noting, that the talking heads on TV have said about O'neal and James that they both make a lot of interceptions, but also both give up big plays. Exactly what they did with the Broncos, which Shanahan did not consider a good tradeoff.
                The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Deltha O'Neil never merited his draft status in Denver. He was an average corner who never produced consistantly. After 3 season Shannahan probably had enough. He was drafted too high to play the way he did.

I am glad he is suceeding elsewhere though. Sometimes we all fail the first time, but that's why there are 2nd chances. Just ask the Broncos Defensive line about 2nd chances. Remember all the Cleveland fans that laughed at the trade?

It's too easy to look at O'neil's success now and pass judgement on the move to get rid of him. Especially when there is no proof he would have ever suceeded in Denver's system. I am glad he is doing well, and maybe the move is the reason he is doing so well.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualFan
                    I'm really getting worried about these guys. It looks like Denver and Cincy will be the #2 and #3 seeds, with which one getting which still unclear with two games to play.

Taking a look at their roster, it turns out that their two starting cornerbacks are Tory James and Deltha O'Neal. Do those names ring a bell? James has 4 ints and O'Neal has 10. TEN.

How did we let both of these guys go? What is it about our defensive coordinators/staffs that managed to mess this up so badly? Were these players really that bad, or did the coaching merely make them look bad? Or did they just mature after they left Denver?

I don't fully buy into the idea that "sometimes people just need a change of scenery." Fine. What was it about the scenery that needed changing???
                    You must be new to the Broncos. Welcome on board. Shanny lost faith in O'Neal as he just wasn't doing what he was expected to. He was labeled as sort of a slacker/underachiever. The boy had talent and had a 9 int season with us but just wasn't consistent. He fell into the doghouse and the rest is history.

He's playing with a vengence now... something to prove... and he's doing well. Good for him, I might add (always was a fan of his).
                    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                      i, too was a big fan of Deltha O'Neals when he was here. watching him in college i knew he had the tools to succeed at the next level. it's a shame we parted ways with him

Made by Snk16

Comment

1 - The Cincinnatti game (assuming it were to happen) will come down largely to whether or not it is at home. If we win out and get the #2 seed, I like our chances a lot.

2 - I can't add much that hasn't already been said about Mr. O'Neal, other than to try and remember that it is reasonable to assume that DWill and/or Fox wouldn't be here if Deltha had stayed.

3 - You may not "fully buy into" the idea of a change of scenery, but a little stroll down History Lane may change your mind. Sports are full of situations where a player changed his "scenery" and blossomed in a new place. Furthermore, every team has had it happen to them (like us with Deltha) and benefitted from this (like the "Browncos.")

Comment

Cincinnati is overrated. The Steelers are crumbling and the Ravens are playing like an expansion team. Furthermore the Browns haven't played that well this year. That is why they are doing so well. If those teams would have been up to par the Bengals would have had yet another 8-8 season.
                          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                            Cincinnati is overrated. The Steelers are crumbling and the Ravens are playing like an expansion team. Furthermore the Browns haven't played that well this year. That is why they are doing so well. If those teams would have been up to par the Bengals would have had yet another 8-8 season.
                            In other words, they are the AFC's version of the Fakehawks. Or was it the Seafrauds?
                            The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

People like you always come and post about how this guy is good and we were wrong by trading or letting him go. Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say this now that O'neal is having a good year in Cincy. I bet if Gardner went and kicked some ass on another team poeple like you would post we shouldnt have let Gardner go.

A Change of Scenery is good for someone like O'neal who obviously had motivational problems. He thought he was the man after his 1 good season and slacked in practice. It showed on the field. By him going to Cincy he had to go there and prove he was still good. So the change of scenery motivated him to practice and get his head out of his ass. SO Yes Change of scenery does make a difference.

You know we got DJ right with that O'neal trade right?

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X