Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Atwater hall-worthy?

Just curious of what people think.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

DEFENITLY, he has been the most inspirational player on defense we have ever had. Pro bowl after Pro Bowl, Defensive player of the week and month countless times. The stats are there. Not even Lott was as great a player as him. He was very close though. Number 27 needs to be Hall of fame bound as well as ring of fame. Good ole Stevie A. had so much bronco pride he worked out a cheesy deal to come back to Denver just to retire a Bronco. Yes he should be in the hall.
    "We bust back faster then whistles, from Bronco raider officials" e.W.t.

Comment

bet your ass he is!
      mum's the word.. cause it seems no matter what i say right here, it always gets deleted.

Comment

I sure hope that Steve Atwater is Hall of Fame material. He had an awesome career and made the opposing wide recievers really think about coming across the middle. He was a frierce hitter and someone that should really be there.

Comment

Definetely. He is the greates DB in Denver's history and may very well be the best overall defensive player ever in denver.

Can you hear me now? Good!

Comment

damn skippy!!

Comment

WoW talk about a DB, only one better than the infamous Steve Atwater, and they both equal each other, is Steve Sewell and only reason I say Steve S was a little better, is because Mr Sewell could act as QB and did, whenever the ocassion called for it. You're right if ever there was a DB to be induced it should be Steve Atwater, and on offense his sidekick Steve Sewell, Denver is known for the Titans they pocess, Steve Sewell should be there too. I'm sure eventually they wil they will induct Steve A. and Steve S. to the Hall of Fame.
              Well, the one thing we always did when we went into a game against John Elway was that as a player, we had to expect the unexpected. That's the hard part that really can't be coached. And, that's the hard part of going against someone who's a great athlete. You can go against a guy that's a great quarterback and you can defend him. But, when you have to go against a great athlete like you were John, sometimes we couldn't prepare for the unexpected.

Comment

If he doesnt get into the hall of fame it will be a travisty to the NFL...He was the hardest hitting most beast like safety to ever play the game...I fondly remember a running back name christian akoyi who tried to go up a hole in the middle and atwater laid him out that was a hit that will last in my memory forever and i am sure christian remembers it to!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here is a list of defensive backs currently in the hall of fame (listed alphabetically):

(NOTE: The only 2 not from the so-called 'modern era', which seems to be roughly defined by the hall of fame as the creation of the AFL in 1960, are Jack Christensen and Emlen Tunnel, who played his last year in 1961. Everyone else played at least a portion of their career in the 60's)

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
                  Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
                  Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
                  Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
                  Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958
                  Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
                  Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980
                  Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976
                  Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
                  **** "Night Train" Lane (CB) 1952-1965
                  Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964
                  Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
                  Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977
                  Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961
                  Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972
                  Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971

I do not have stats on any of these guys, but I want people's opinions on whether you REALLY think Atwater is in the same category as them. If so, why? Give me some substance, because right now, knocking out Christian Okoye or being the best safety in Broncos history are not very solid arguments.

I am not making a decision either way, so here's your chance to convince me. Imagine I am a non-Bronco fan.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                  You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                    **** "Night Train" Lane (CB) 1952-1965
                    Wow, that automated program is tough!

HAHAHA

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                    You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatamills
                      If he doesnt get into the hall of fame it will be a travisty to the NFL...He was the hardest hitting most beast like safety to ever play the game...I fondly remember a running back name christian akoyi who tried to go up a hole in the middle and atwater laid him out that was a hit that will last in my memory forever and i am sure christian remembers it to!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      thegreatamills hi,LMAO now you know Christian Okoye remembers the hit, that was the hit that made him want to think about his job, shortly after the hit Christian Okoye be came a daymare, no longer to be called a nightmare lol, but anyone who had ever been hit by Atwater will say when he hit you, you didn't want to get up. His stats were fantastic he stopped the run. Dam wish he was still in the league.
                      Well, the one thing we always did when we went into a game against John Elway was that as a player, we had to expect the unexpected. That's the hard part that really can't be coached. And, that's the hard part of going against someone who's a great athlete. You can go against a guy that's a great quarterback and you can defend him. But, when you have to go against a great athlete like you were John, sometimes we couldn't prepare for the unexpected.

Comment

Yes, of course he is.
                        You should be embarrassed for even posing the question.
                        Turn in your Bronco card and report to class immediately.

Comment

Atwater was one hell of a player, no question. I think he's an outside shot at the HOF though. The voters look at stats and pro bowls and such more than they should. Just this past year that moron on Inside the NFL (Peter King, one of the voters) gave the reasons why Plunkett wasn't going to get in, and it was all the same crap that non-players always give when judging those who have done what they only wished they could have. Realistically I think its unlikely he'll go in (Gradishar has been getting screwed for years as a comparison).

Do I think he belongs there? Yes.

Do I think he'll get there? Probably not.
                          Last edited by Plastique; 03-19-2004, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riddler
                            DEFENITLY, he has been the most inspirational player on defense we have ever had. Pro bowl after Pro Bowl, Defensive player of the week and month countless times. The stats are there. Not even Lott was as great a player as him. He was very close though. Number 27 needs to be Hall of fame bound as well as ring of fame. Good ole Stevie A. had so much bronco pride he worked out a cheesy deal to come back to Denver just to retire a Bronco. Yes he should be in the hall.
                            Definitely you're correct, Ronnie was good, but he just didn't have the pzaazz like Stevie A. If you ever get to KC, which I'm there at least 2 months out of a year. If you're around Paseo and Vine, ask Christain Okoye if he remembers Stevie lmao, he will tell you quickly hell yes, as hard as that man hits. Ring of Fame is great but Hall of Fame is where he belongs with the rest of the greatest I wish he was still in Denver on our team. I'm a die hard Bronco and Mr. A. is one of my important greats, Ronnie L. did not make the list lol, I'm biased, if you don't wear Orange And Blue then excuse ya. I can't stand KC I wouldn't even walk on their ground, but my job insist on my presence there. Dam I can't stand my job.

Comment

Working...
                            X