Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy, talk about memories!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boy, talk about memories!!

    One of the most exciting games I've ever seen was the AFC championship game in January 1978 between the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders. Here is a recap from Top Stories on the front page here:

    -----

    Broncos-Raiders Flashback: 1978

    Denver vs. Oakland
    Jan. 1, 1978
    Mile High Stadium
    Weather: Sunny, 18 degrees

    DENVER -- It was a day when the Broncos became champions for the first time -- and did so by ending the previous champions' reign.

    The Broncos rang in 1978 with perhaps their biggest win to that point in the franchise's history, knocking off the Oakland Raiders 20-17 to win the first of the team's six AFC championships and advance to Super Bowl XII in Red Miller's first season as head coach.

    The Broncos and Raiders had split the season series in 1977 and met in a game that featured six future Hall of Famers in silver and black and eight eventual Ring of Famers in orange and blue.

    The day began with the Broncos on offense and unable to move, punting and giving the Raiders the football in prime position near midfield. The Orange Crush defense forced a three-and-out, but the Raiders got a reprieve when wide receiver John Schultz was flagged for roughing the kicker. Oakland capitalized, driving downfield to a 20-yard field goal by Errol Mann and a 3-0 lead.

    That lead lasted just 27 seconds.

    Quarterback Craig Morton dropped back, located Haven Moses on a slant and watched as the wide receiver turned the short pass into a 74-yard touchdown and a 7-3 Denver lead.

    Oakland replied by using passes from Ken Stabler to Cliff Branch and Fred Biletnikoff to advance deep into Broncos territory as the second period began. But the Broncos held, and Mann's 19-yard field-goal attempt slammed off an upright, keeping the Broncos' lead intact.

    Following an exchange of punts, the Broncos drove to the Oakland 23, but it was Jim Turner's turn to miss, as a 40-yard field-goal try missed wide left, keeping the score at 7-3 as intermission arrived.

    Oakland began the second half with a bang when Carl Garrett returned the opening kickoff 62 yards to the Denver 33, but the Raiders advanced no further and punted. Denver's offense replied with a 41-yard Morton-to-Moses strike, but another Turner miss kept the lead at four points.

    One play later, Oakland running back Clarence Davis fumbled. Brison Manor recovered, and the Broncos capitalized four plays later with a 1-yard Jon Keyworth touchdown run -- a play that generated controversy after several instant replays, and one that is still debated in bars to this day. But in 1978, any form of instant-replay review was still eight and a half years away, and the Broncos increased their lead to 14-3 following the extra point.

    The Orange Crush defense again forced an Oakland punt on the next possession, but the offense was unable to get a first down. Oakland's Garrett muffed the ensuing punt, allowing Larry Evans to recover for Denver at the Oakland 27, but the Broncos couldn't capitalize as Turner missed another field-goal try.

    After a 26-yard pass from Stabler to tight end Dave Casper, Oakland found itself on the Denver 6 entering the final quarter. Stabler then found Casper again for a 6-yard pass to narrow Denver's lead to four points.

    Denver's offense began to chew up some clock on its next possession and drove the ball down to the Oakland 20, but after a Moses end around lost 10 yards, Morton threw his first and only interception of the game. The Broncos responded in kind, as Bob Swenson picked off Stabler and returned it 14 yards to the Oakland 17-yard-line. Two plays later, Morton hit Moses for a 12-yard touchdown strike, but the extra-point snap was fumbled, forcing an errant pass that kept Denver's lead at 20-10.

    Oakland did manage to score one more time when Stabler slipped a pass through the Denver defense to Casper for a 17-yard touchdown, but the Broncos subsequently ran out the final 3:08 of the game to clinch the triumph.

    Moses was the star of the day, finishing with five receptions for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

    -----
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-23-2005, 03:03 PM.

  • #2
    Top,
    I was a young Bronco fan at the time. Actually that was my 3rd season rooting for the Broncos. But have don't remember the game. Sounds like an awesome game that day.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice post top. I was a terrible 2 years old when that happened.

      Comment


      • #4
        I remember that game and to this day I am baffled how Jim Turner is a ring of famer. I know they will never do this, but every year I wish they would take his name down and put up somebody respectful like Rick Upchurch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by OrangeCrush1874
          Nice post top. I was a terrible 2 years old when that happened.
          You know, the only people who didn't miss a lot because of their age are the ones who saw the first game ever played. But then, they're all dead and are missing what we're seeing now. It all evens out, I guess.

          But what a game that was!

          -----

          Comment


          • #6
            I would be born 8 months later but I clearly remember tugging on the umbilical cord when the Broncos won....or did I tug on it because I was hungry? hehe

            Comment


            • #7
              I remember this one top.

              But I had to miss it. My parents sent me on a skiing weekend to Copper Mountain. It was the only home game I missed that year. Dad took my mom, who probably knitted the entire game.

              I did tell the ski guy that I wasnt skiing that day. I stayed in the condo and watched the game! The big thing I remember from the little B&W tv was the end. The crowd rushing the field, storming over the fence that surrounded the old field.

              They ripped down the goalposts form that game, and I still see them around every once in a while. Unfortunately, they go for well over a thousand dollars a foot these days. Not something my wife is very agreeable to, lol.

              I was able to go to the NEXT game, but would have preferred this one for obvious reasons. Still New Orleans was fun for a teenager back then.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for posting this Top it brought back some very found memories. There is one thing, the controversial td plung, I am almost absolutely certain that it wasn't Keyworth that fumbled the ball it was Rob Lytle a rookie runningback from Michigan.
                John 11: 25-27

                My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                Thanks Snk16

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by topscribe
                  One of the most exciting games I've ever seen was the AFC championship game in January 1978 between the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders. Here is a recap from Top Stories on the front page here:

                  -----

                  Broncos-Raiders Flashback: 1978

                  Denver vs. Oakland
                  Jan. 1, 1978
                  Mile High Stadium
                  Weather: Sunny, 18 degrees

                  DENVER -- It was a day when the Broncos became champions for the first time -- and did so by ending the previous champions' reign.

                  The Broncos rang in 1978 with perhaps their biggest win to that point in the franchise's history, knocking off the Oakland Raiders 20-17 to win the first of the team's six AFC championships and advance to Super Bowl XII in Red Miller's first season as head coach.

                  The Broncos and Raiders had split the season series in 1977 and met in a game that featured six future Hall of Famers in silver and black and eight eventual Ring of Famers in orange and blue.

                  The day began with the Broncos on offense and unable to move, punting and giving the Raiders the football in prime position near midfield. The Orange Crush defense forced a three-and-out, but the Raiders got a reprieve when wide receiver John Schultz was flagged for roughing the kicker. Oakland capitalized, driving downfield to a 20-yard field goal by Errol Mann and a 3-0 lead.

                  That lead lasted just 27 seconds.

                  Quarterback Craig Morton dropped back, located Haven Moses on a slant and watched as the wide receiver turned the short pass into a 74-yard touchdown and a 7-3 Denver lead.

                  Oakland replied by using passes from Ken Stabler to Cliff Branch and Fred Biletnikoff to advance deep into Broncos territory as the second period began. But the Broncos held, and Mann's 19-yard field-goal attempt slammed off an upright, keeping the Broncos' lead intact.

                  Following an exchange of punts, the Broncos drove to the Oakland 23, but it was Jim Turner's turn to miss, as a 40-yard field-goal try missed wide left, keeping the score at 7-3 as intermission arrived.

                  Oakland began the second half with a bang when Carl Garrett returned the opening kickoff 62 yards to the Denver 33, but the Raiders advanced no further and punted. Denver's offense replied with a 41-yard Morton-to-Moses strike, but another Turner miss kept the lead at four points.

                  One play later, Oakland running back Clarence Davis fumbled. Brison Manor recovered, and the Broncos capitalized four plays later with a 1-yard Jon Keyworth touchdown run -- a play that generated controversy after several instant replays, and one that is still debated in bars to this day. But in 1978, any form of instant-replay review was still eight and a half years away, and the Broncos increased their lead to 14-3 following the extra point.

                  The Orange Crush defense again forced an Oakland punt on the next possession, but the offense was unable to get a first down. Oakland's Garrett muffed the ensuing punt, allowing Larry Evans to recover for Denver at the Oakland 27, but the Broncos couldn't capitalize as Turner missed another field-goal try.

                  After a 26-yard pass from Stabler to tight end Dave Casper, Oakland found itself on the Denver 6 entering the final quarter. Stabler then found Casper again for a 6-yard pass to narrow Denver's lead to four points.

                  Denver's offense began to chew up some clock on its next possession and drove the ball down to the Oakland 20, but after a Moses end around lost 10 yards, Morton threw his first and only interception of the game. The Broncos responded in kind, as Bob Swenson picked off Stabler and returned it 14 yards to the Oakland 17-yard-line. Two plays later, Morton hit Moses for a 12-yard touchdown strike, but the extra-point snap was fumbled, forcing an errant pass that kept Denver's lead at 20-10.

                  Oakland did manage to score one more time when Stabler slipped a pass through the Denver defense to Casper for a 17-yard touchdown, but the Broncos subsequently ran out the final 3:08 of the game to clinch the triumph.

                  Moses was the star of the day, finishing with five receptions for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

                  -----

                  A seven year old at the time, with a Bronco streak a mile wide
                  Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ring of Fame vs Hall of Fame

                    6 Raider "Hall of Famers" vs 8 Bronco "Ring of Famers"........................................... ................Hmmm..........I like the odds.


                    Dear Hall of Fame,

                    RECOGNIZE !!

                    Sincerely,
                    Chop
                    Last edited by Superchop7; 12-23-2005, 04:53 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was only 2 but this sounds like a pretty exciting game. Some of my earliest recollections of the Broncos are AFC championship games against the Browns at the dawgpound. Ah, what great games.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Reidman
                        I was only 2 but this sounds like a pretty exciting game. Some of my earliest recollections of the Broncos are AFC championship games against the Browns at the dawgpound. Ah, what great games.

                        We only played the Brown once in Cleveland for the Conference title. The other two times were in Denver.
                        John 11: 25-27

                        My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                        Thanks Snk16

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          We only played the Brown once in Cleveland for the Conference title. The other two times were in Denver.
                          I've heard how much they hate us in Cleveland.

                          Guess it doesn't take long to figure out why, does it?

                          -----

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TXBRONC
                            Thanks for posting this Top it brought back some very found memories. There is one thing, the controversial td plung, I am almost absolutely certain that it wasn't Keyworth that fumbled the ball it was Rob Lytle a rookie runningback from Michigan.
                            And what a great memory you have! I don't even remember off the top who it was.

                            BTW, I gave you a couple points for that.

                            -----

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Good post, Top. Great memories. The year of the horse that year, 14-2 season!
                              Oh, The Color of Orange! Ah!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X