Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plummer actually playing with a simplified offense???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plummer actually playing with a simplified offense???

We finally have him under control, because Shanny has put a short leash on his dog, and has simplified this offense as much as possible when it comes to professional football.
    I've noticed a few posters reciting this line on these forums. Is this something that is actually going on or just speculation? I assumed the run heavy gameplans could have been attributed to our depth at RB and Shanahan's love for the running game.

If anyone could provide a few links backing up this claim I would be grateful.

BTW I'm not calling out the poster who posted the comment, I'm just curious to see if its a fact.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

Originally posted by NASurfer
    I've noticed a few posters reciting this line on these forums. Is this something that is actually going on or just speculation? I assumed the run heavy gameplans could have been attributed to our depth at RB and Shanahan's love for the running game.

If anyone could provide a few links backing up this claim I would be grateful.

BTW I'm not calling out the poster who posted the comment, I'm just curious to see if its a fact.
    Some are going to say its speculation, and that its just Plummer learning the system. However, Three things I have heard from reputable sources that make me confident that Broncos simplified the offense. 1) Schlereth on ESPN Radio had been talking about the smaller playbook this year. Some could take this as opinion, but this is his career. He does still have inside sources to the Broncos, and I don't exactly think this is something hidden. 2)Bill Parcells, in an interview before our game on Thanksgiving, made the comment that they (Denver Broncos) really don't run very many DIFFERENT plays, but more of the same plays with the many varied formations. Considering how much respect I have for Bill Parcells, and for his ability to watch game film on our team... I would say he knows what he is talking about. 3) Phil Simms...DURING the THanksgiving game (at least I believe it was during the Thanksgiving game, not sure on that) had continued to elaborate on that, talking how the Broncos had made the playbook smaller, thus less confusing.

I realize that none of these are links.. and some will refuse to accept it..feeling it somehow insults Plummer. But honestly I believe its pretty well known that the Broncos have simplified the play book this season.

Comment

its highly exaggerated
      but yes, the offense has been simplified some...mainly to take more advantage of his strengths and stay away from his weaknesses.

Comment

You can outrun'em, outmuscle them, fool them, or all three... In the end, you still gotta outscore them. If ripping a few pages out is doing the trick, I'm all for it. Don't know of too many coaches that insist on playing to the team's weaknesses. So I'm not among the ones who would see this as an insult. Limited mistakes means limited losses.

Comment

I totally agree with limiting mistakes. I think Jake and Shanny got together at the end of last season and got on the same page so to speak. Im also saying that Shanny's real playbook must look like an encyclopedia to most players....he is the genius...isn't he. Jake is a gamer, not a scholar, and Shanny has realized this and has included plays that works to Jakes advantage...ie running out of the pocket. Just wait til next year.....OH YEAH

Comment

I think Jake has learned Mike and Gary's offensive system. Plummer put in the extra time in the offseason to make sure he better understood this offense. It has paid off. When you know the system or know anything well, then it seems everything is easy. Knowing the system has made the offense simple.
            Emancipate your mind!
            The People's Poster

Comment

Actually, I can't wait til THIS year... Not thinking that we're gonna nuke anybody, but I want to see the games played. We've seen alot of improvements in most areas of the team.
              For what it's worth, Shep, I move out here from La Junta. Closer to family... Hadn't seen you around before, so welcome to the board.

Comment

As long as we're effective, I see no problem with simplifying the offense. The hard part would be lining up in different formations with that simple offense.

I do have to wonder...since it seems like there are QB's that change calls at the line.....perhaps they have about 10 or so standard plays that he can call at any time. It would be easy to memorize those plays, and have them as a back-up, should a defense show something....
                sigpic
                Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by AZforBroncos
                  its highly exaggerated
                  but yes, the offense has been simplified some...mainly to take more advantage of his strengths and stay away from his weaknesses.
                  This is St. Jake code speak....

"Advantage of his strengths" - code for "not letting him make decisions"

"Stay away from his weaknesses" - code for "not letting him make decisions"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                    This is St. Jake code speak....

Mnt_Man code

^ Where the hell is Tom Brady

^ Where the hell is Tom Brady.

Though still if it mean limiting what choices Jake has then I am all for it.
                    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

where the hell is Tom Brady? Did he go home for Christmas?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        Some are going to say its speculation, and that its just Plummer learning the system. However, Three things I have heard from reputable sources that make me confident that Broncos simplified the offense. 1) Schlereth on ESPN Radio had been talking about the smaller playbook this year. Some could take this as opinion, but this is his career. He does still have inside sources to the Broncos, and I don't exactly think this is something hidden. 2)Bill Parcells, in an interview before our game on Thanksgiving, made the comment that they (Denver Broncos) really don't run very many DIFFERENT plays, but more of the same plays with the many varied formations. Considering how much respect I have for Bill Parcells, and for his ability to watch game film on our team... I would say he knows what he is talking about. 3) Phil Simms...DURING the THanksgiving game (at least I believe it was during the Thanksgiving game, not sure on that) had continued to elaborate on that, talking how the Broncos had made the playbook smaller, thus less confusing.

I realize that none of these are links.. and some will refuse to accept it..feeling it somehow insults Plummer. But honestly I believe its pretty well known that the Broncos have simplified the play book this season.
                        But do those examples actually mean the playbook has been simplified?

1) Schlereth maybe a commentator and an ex bronco, but I'm not so sure if he actually knows if the gameplan Shanahan has been handing out to his players are actually smaller than they used to be.

2) People have been saying that about the Broncos for years. I beleive it was during the 98' season (Elway was our qb and we had the current uniforms), that the Raiders coordinator at the time said "they (broncos) don't run that many different plays, they just do it out of different formations. You watch, somewhere in the first 15 plays there will be a deep pass down the middle to McCaffrey".

3) Sometimes commentators don't know all that much. Remember Sterling Sharpe last week? "I spoke with Shanahan before the game and he promised me that Denver will establish the run right off the bat".

Maybe the playcalling is designed to protect Jake a bit. But does that mean the playbook is necessarily smaller? Does Shanny really have little faith in JP? He has GM duties (well authority on personnel matters anyway), does that mean JP is on his way out? I know if I had to scale the playbook back for my qb he woulden't last long as my starter. I'd get someone else during the offseason. It just doesen't add up.
                        You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by NASurfer
                          But do those examples actually mean the playbook has been simplified?

1) Schlereth maybe a commentator and an ex bronco, but I'm not so sure if he actually knows if the gameplan Shanahan has been handing out to his players are actually smaller than they used to be.

2) People have been saying that about the Broncos for years. I beleive it was during the 98' season (Elway was our qb and we had the current uniforms), that the Raiders coordinator at the time said "they (broncos) don't run that many different plays, they just do it out of different formations. You watch, somewhere in the first 15 plays there will be a deep pass down the middle to McCaffrey".

3) Sometimes commentators don't know all that much. Remember Sterling Sharpe last week? "I spoke with Shanahan before the game and he promised me that Denver will establish the run right off the bat".

Maybe the playcalling is designed to protect Jake a bit. But does that mean the playbook is necessarily smaller? Does Shanny really have little faith in JP? He has GM duties (well authority on personnel matters anyway), does that mean JP is on his way out? I know if I had to scale the playbook back for my qb he woulden't last long as my starter. I'd get someone else during the offseason. It just doesen't add up.
                          But the commentators and sports reporters also get to talk with players, coaches, and have conversations with people in the know. Seriously. I don't think its a secret or anything. I think its pretty well known amongst everyone that our playbook has been simplified this year. Thats not an insult to anyone.. thats not a put down. It very well could mean that they felt the extra fluff last year was just too much.

You have to know that Shanahan did EVERYTHING to be sure to CUT down on the turnovers this season. Look at our team. Its built on playing TOUGH defense, a controlled-run-oriented offense, and field position. He drafted several DBs, brought in the DL, and hired the best Punter. Simplified the offense to eliminate the turnovers so that we play field position and defense. I think thats why you see us take fewer shots down field. I think its been pretty obvious.... but so many think it takes something away from JP if the system was "simplified." They would rather just say that Jake became a great game manager over night..... rather than admit the playcalling has been made to limit his turnovers.

Just wait. I can name the ones that will come into your thread and say "where is your proof of this. Where is the thread that quotes shanahan that proves the system has been simplified? I've never read anything that says this. Dont post such statements without proof. Jake worked "extra hard" in the offseason, and changed himself into a new person....blah blah blah"
                          Last edited by Ravage!!!; 12-23-2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Well after two complete seasons Jake and Shanny had to get together with the playbook and take out the plays that just weren't working or were too high risk to run. Each week offers a variety of wrinkles that Denver wants to run, but not give away too much of your offense in case you do make the playoffs.

So it can be a combination of things that contribute to smaller playbook, but if it is working, which up to this point it seems to be, they must be doing something right.
                            The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
                              Well after two complete seasons Jake and Shanny had to get together with the playbook and take out the plays that just weren't working or were too high risk to run. Each week offers a variety of wrinkles that Denver wants to run, but not give away too much of your offense in case you do make the playoffs.

So it can be a combination of things that contribute to smaller playbook, but if it is working, which up to this point it seems to be, they must be doing something right.
                              Exactly ............

Comment

Working...
                              X