Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plummer actually playing with a simplified offense???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firstwave64
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    This is St. Jake code speak....

"Advantage of his strengths" - code for "not letting him make decisions"

"Stay away from his weaknesses" - code for "not letting him make decisions"

Hate on Plummer all you want......because guess what hes not going anywhere anytime soon and if he and the team win a playoff game hes not going anywhere for years....so complain and cry and do whatever you do...but your just wasting your time

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncFanIN
    It seems there are a few games we went pass heavy on this year. Buffalo game last week comes to mind. We relied on Jake to toss 37 passes that game. We came out passing instead of running. That speaks of confidence in our passer. 37 passes and no INTs. Very nice indeed. And we got the win out of it. Even nicer
    And didnt we also pass heavy against the Eagles?

There have been instances were we have opened up with the passing attack. Thing is as a whole we have been run heavy all year, and all of a suddenly "Shanny scaled back the playbook". I'm just curious to see how people were able to come up with that conclusion. How do they know what Shanahan is thinking? Id like to see some kind of proof on this, because I may have missed it.

And Ravage, it is an insult. Look at the first quote in this thread. It definitely has been used as ammo by the "I don't believe in Jake" crowd.

Leave a comment:

• BroncFanIN
    replied
    Originally posted by NASurfer
    I'm not sure if accepting it would change the tone of it. I meant that its an insult to Plummer's ability as a QB. Which is what it is.

Back to square one, how do we know what Shanahan is thinking when it comes to the run heavy game plans?

If it is truely to prevent JP from hurting the team, I've got no problem with it. Just show me.
    It seems there are a few games we went pass heavy on this year. Buffalo game last week comes to mind. We relied on Jake to toss 37 passes that game. We came out passing instead of running. That speaks of confidence in our passer. 37 passes and no INTs. Very nice indeed. And we got the win out of it. Even nicer
    And didnt we also pass heavy against the Eagles?

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx
    It sounds like male "short comings", complaining that their "playbook" isn't thick enough. Who cares?
    Well, the thing is the "I don't beleive in Jake" crowd use the reasoning as a source to bash on JP. I haven't seen any proof that its actually true. Thats what this thread is about.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    Its only an insult if you truly wish to deny that Jake has had a bad turnover problem in his past. If people are just willing to accept it, and admit it, they can see why Shanahan would be sure to do anything he could to limit those turnovers.
    I'm not sure if accepting it would change the tone of it. I meant that its an insult to Plummer's ability as a QB. Which is what it is.

Back to square one, how do we know what Shanahan is thinking when it comes to the run heavy game plans?

If it is truely to prevent JP from hurting the team, I've got no problem with it. Just show me.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Its only an insult if you truly wish to deny that Jake has had a bad turnover problem in his past. If people are just willing to accept it, and admit it, they can see why Shanahan would be sure to do anything he could to limit those turnovers.
    As a Bronco, Jake has a BETTER TD/INT ratio than Elway or Griese and I am getting tired of you ignoring this fact.

BEFORE this seaon Jake had 42 tds and 27 INTs for 1.55 TD/INT ratio. This ratio is higher than Griese or Elway and does NOT include this year, which is Jake's best.

Sorry, but the FACTS say it is YOU that won't accept the truth.

Plus, I don't care if they only run one play, as long as they win.

It sounds like male "short comings", complaining that their "playbook" isn't thick enough. Who cares?

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Ravage you're right that is the way the team has been built. "But limiting the playbook to prevent Jake from being Jake" (not your words but you know what I mean), I don't see how that could not be taken as an insult.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    nice post Bronco51.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Elway
    Well after two complete seasons Jake and Shanny had to get together with the playbook and take out the plays that just weren't working or were too high risk to run. Each week offers a variety of wrinkles that Denver wants to run, but not give away too much of your offense in case you do make the playoffs.

So it can be a combination of things that contribute to smaller playbook, but if it is working, which up to this point it seems to be, they must be doing something right.

Makes perfect sense. No doubt we've run the ball alot this year, one only needs to dig up the stat sheet.

Thing is, has the playcalling been run heavy due to JP's tendency to turnover the ball?

Or are we taking advantage of the 3 good RBs we got? Who knows whats going on in Shanny's mind.

We do know Shanahan has been preaching about running game and defense since the first day he's been here.

Ravage you're right that is the way the team has been built. "But limiting the playbook to prevent Jake from being Jake" (not your words but you know what I mean), I don't see how that could not be taken as an insult.
    Last edited by Freestyle; 12-23-2005, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Denver's playbook is huge. There are about 20-25 staple plays that can be run in any situation. No QB in the league could handle every play Mike has in that book. That is why they gameplan every week. Look at each game and you will see the different wrinkles that are run from the same set. It's not that Jake can't handle a huge playbook, it's that their are plays that are tailored for him for different defenses. Who thought we would go so pass heavy last week in the first half? Someone important did, so that's what part of the playbook was opened. It will be interesting to see what part is opened for the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Elway
    Well after two complete seasons Jake and Shanny had to get together with the playbook and take out the plays that just weren't working or were too high risk to run. Each week offers a variety of wrinkles that Denver wants to run, but not give away too much of your offense in case you do make the playoffs.

So it can be a combination of things that contribute to smaller playbook, but if it is working, which up to this point it seems to be, they must be doing something right.
    Exactly ............

Leave a comment:

• Elway
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    But do those examples actually mean the playbook has been simplified?

1) Schlereth maybe a commentator and an ex bronco, but I'm not so sure if he actually knows if the gameplan Shanahan has been handing out to his players are actually smaller than they used to be.

2) People have been saying that about the Broncos for years. I beleive it was during the 98' season (Elway was our qb and we had the current uniforms), that the Raiders coordinator at the time said "they (broncos) don't run that many different plays, they just do it out of different formations. You watch, somewhere in the first 15 plays there will be a deep pass down the middle to McCaffrey".

3) Sometimes commentators don't know all that much. Remember Sterling Sharpe last week? "I spoke with Shanahan before the game and he promised me that Denver will establish the run right off the bat".

Maybe the playcalling is designed to protect Jake a bit. But does that mean the playbook is necessarily smaller? Does Shanny really have little faith in JP? He has GM duties (well authority on personnel matters anyway), does that mean JP is on his way out? I know if I had to scale the playbook back for my qb he woulden't last long as my starter. I'd get someone else during the offseason. It just doesen't add up.
    But the commentators and sports reporters also get to talk with players, coaches, and have conversations with people in the know. Seriously. I don't think its a secret or anything. I think its pretty well known amongst everyone that our playbook has been simplified this year. Thats not an insult to anyone.. thats not a put down. It very well could mean that they felt the extra fluff last year was just too much.

You have to know that Shanahan did EVERYTHING to be sure to CUT down on the turnovers this season. Look at our team. Its built on playing TOUGH defense, a controlled-run-oriented offense, and field position. He drafted several DBs, brought in the DL, and hired the best Punter. Simplified the offense to eliminate the turnovers so that we play field position and defense. I think thats why you see us take fewer shots down field. I think its been pretty obvious.... but so many think it takes something away from JP if the system was "simplified." They would rather just say that Jake became a great game manager over night..... rather than admit the playcalling has been made to limit his turnovers.

Just wait. I can name the ones that will come into your thread and say "where is your proof of this. Where is the thread that quotes shanahan that proves the system has been simplified? I've never read anything that says this. Dont post such statements without proof. Jake worked "extra hard" in the offseason, and changed himself into a new person....blah blah blah"
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 12-23-2005, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Some are going to say its speculation, and that its just Plummer learning the system. However, Three things I have heard from reputable sources that make me confident that Broncos simplified the offense. 1) Schlereth on ESPN Radio had been talking about the smaller playbook this year. Some could take this as opinion, but this is his career. He does still have inside sources to the Broncos, and I don't exactly think this is something hidden. 2)Bill Parcells, in an interview before our game on Thanksgiving, made the comment that they (Denver Broncos) really don't run very many DIFFERENT plays, but more of the same plays with the many varied formations. Considering how much respect I have for Bill Parcells, and for his ability to watch game film on our team... I would say he knows what he is talking about. 3) Phil Simms...DURING the THanksgiving game (at least I believe it was during the Thanksgiving game, not sure on that) had continued to elaborate on that, talking how the Broncos had made the playbook smaller, thus less confusing.

I realize that none of these are links.. and some will refuse to accept it..feeling it somehow insults Plummer. But honestly I believe its pretty well known that the Broncos have simplified the play book this season.
    But do those examples actually mean the playbook has been simplified?

1) Schlereth maybe a commentator and an ex bronco, but I'm not so sure if he actually knows if the gameplan Shanahan has been handing out to his players are actually smaller than they used to be.

2) People have been saying that about the Broncos for years. I beleive it was during the 98' season (Elway was our qb and we had the current uniforms), that the Raiders coordinator at the time said "they (broncos) don't run that many different plays, they just do it out of different formations. You watch, somewhere in the first 15 plays there will be a deep pass down the middle to McCaffrey".

3) Sometimes commentators don't know all that much. Remember Sterling Sharpe last week? "I spoke with Shanahan before the game and he promised me that Denver will establish the run right off the bat".

Maybe the playcalling is designed to protect Jake a bit. But does that mean the playbook is necessarily smaller? Does Shanny really have little faith in JP? He has GM duties (well authority on personnel matters anyway), does that mean JP is on his way out? I know if I had to scale the playbook back for my qb he woulden't last long as my starter. I'd get someone else during the offseason. It just doesen't add up.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    where the hell is Tom Brady? Did he go home for Christmas?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X