Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The value of the lifer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The value of the lifer

    In this day of free agency, having players stay on a single team their entire careers is a bit rarer than it used to be. But whether through free agency or trades, there are simply players don't stand a chance of being lifers. Sometimes it's simply a matter of circumstances that cause a player to change teams while other times I think their personalities force the issue.

    In particular, I was thinking about Rod Smith versus guys like T.O. and Randy Moss. Rod is a team player who doesn't make waves or need to be the center of attention. And I love the fact he'll be a Bronco from the start of his career to the end. But Owens and Moss are great talents that unfortunately were destined to wear out their welcome and have to leave their original teams.

    But even in cases where players changing teams was purely circumstantial, it is still extremely disappointing to see great players spoil their legacies by switching teams. To me, even players like Shannon Sharpe and Steve Atwater lost a bit of their luster in Bronco history because they played for other teams, although briefly. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Tony Dorsett, etc. are prime examples of guys that moved on and put a damper on their careers.

    As a die-hard fan, how important is it to you that great Broncos stay Broncos for their entire careers? (Or whoever your team might be) Do you think that free agency is actually a bad thing because it makes it so much harder to keep players on the team for life? Do you find it more difficult to get attached to players when you know there's a good chance they won't stick with the team long-term?

    p.s. I hope this thread is coherent because I'm severely lacking in sleep right now.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

  • #2
    I understand your point when it comes to players that are in the twigh light of their careers but one also has to consider the fact that other players, such as John Lynch still have alot to offer as Shannon Sharpe did. Yes I hate the idea that he played for the stinkin ravens but he did win another superbowl with them so overall he did nothing but help his career in my opinion!

    Comment


    • #3
      With the way the league is setup these days, it is so difficult for players to stay on a single team their entire career. With that said, players such as Rod Smith who find a way to do so are lucky. And we as fans are lucky to have said player as well.

      And to answer your question about how I feel about Broncos players who finish their careers elsewhere or leave the team for a short duration.... yeah, it takes away from the luster a bit. I try and ignore that part of their career.
      The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

      Comment


      • #4
        Well most of the time its not the players choice of staying ex. Ian Gold

        He said he wanted to stay yada yada yada and played for the bucs 1 year then came back when we had space

        So to be honest people like Jerry, Montana, and Tony gain more respect from me because they still played because they wanted to play

        That made no sense but w/e

        Comment


        • #5
          We have some long tenured players in Denver who may be lifers.

          Nalen-Elam-Smith-Pryce among them.

          I don't always begrudge a player going to another team, but if they have value and we can retain them, I would prefer we do.
          The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sam24
            I understand your point when it comes to players that are in the twigh light of their careers but one also has to consider the fact that other players, such as John Lynch still have alot to offer as Shannon Sharpe did. Yes I hate the idea that he played for the stinkin ravens but he did win another superbowl with them so overall he did nothing but help his career in my opinion!
            Now, I'm referring to their overall careers. I'm talking about how you view them as Broncos.

            Elway, Rod Smith, Dennis Smith, Karl Mecklenburg, Tom Jackson, etc. were all Broncos for their entire careers. But when you have to look at the careers of Sharpe, Atwater, etc. it sucks to see the other teams listed on their resumés. They are still mostly Broncos but not 100% pure like the others.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
              So to be honest people like Jerry, Montana, and Tony gain more respect from me because they still played because they wanted to play
              I can understand that. But when it's a Bronco, does that change your view at all?
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it takes a lil luster from them. I mean. I would have NEVER guessed that Sharpe would have gone to another team. He will always be a Bronco in my heart, but to know he left and won a Super Bowl with another team does bother me. It also makes you look at every player aquired and drafted differently.

                You look at your draft choices...and try to figure out exactly you will use their talent for before they go to another team. You can never look at a players contract and figure he will be here forever. You look at the contract and guess that he will be leaving shortly after its over.

                All talent is just temporarily rented now. Hopefullly you rent other talent that matches up with that rented talent at the right time to get the mix of the perfect rented talent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Football (and to a certain extent hockey) is the only sport where I still care about teams to any extent and that gets to be less and less every year. It's simply too much of a dollar driven business for me to care too much about a franchise. I'm drifting towards being more of a player fan these days in most other sports. Basketball? I'm a Shaq fan. I couldn't care less if he played for Orlando, Los Angeles or Miami..or wherever he goes next. Won't tarnish his legacy in my eyes. Baseball? Where's Larry Walker playing..or where will Todd Helton be playing? I'll root for the player regardless.

                  In my mind, the only person who's opinion matters as far as legacies go is the player himself. Fans, sportswriters always want to talk about how someone is tarnishing his legacy. What do they know? John Elway got to go out on top, so everyone gets all giddy thinking about his legacy, but I'll respect anyone who goes out on their own terms, regardless of what path (or eventual outcome) they choose. So Emmett Smith goes to the Cards, that's his choice. He makes his own legacy.

                  Did Ray Borque tarnish his legacy by coming to Colorado to win a Stanley Cup? Colorado fans probably don't think so. Boston fans might..but really, who cares about what someone from Boston thinks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I totally understand Jav!!

                    Here's my reason. I'm a card collector, as you may know, lol. In 2002, I was very excited to have Clinton Portis here. I grabbed up lots of his stuff. Cards, a jersey, a mini helmet, a bobblehead.

                    In particular, I went for all the 2002 card of him & Lelie made by a certian company. All the rookies, and inserts, and parrallels. I still look for them, but the Portis cards just dont have the luster they would if he was still a Bronco.

                    It's one thing for a player nearing the end of his career to try to extend it, but quite another when a young guy hits stardom, and we trade him. Especially considering the team just had the store full of his stuff!

                    For example, next year, the store will be filled with Darrent Williams jersyes, shirts, whatever. I will be very hesitant to buy any of, for fear they will do to me what they did with Portis. I got all this stuff, and they trade him.

                    Not saying the trade was bad for the team, but what about the thousands of people running around in blue Portis jerseys? They are pretty much garbage now. For the two hundred bucks I spent on the thing, I cant give it away now. I still wear it though, because I am still proud of what he did in that jersey, but it sure would be nice to have the Portis removed, and put Bell on it. Unless they trade HIM away too!

                    *shrug*

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rka
                      Football (and to a certain extent hockey) is the only sport where I still care about teams to any extent and that gets to be less and less every year. It's simply too much of a dollar driven business for me to care too much about a franchise. I'm drifting towards being more of a player fan these days in most other sports. Basketball? I'm a Shaq fan. I couldn't care less if he played for Orlando, Los Angeles or Miami..or wherever he goes next. Won't tarnish his legacy in my eyes. Baseball? Where's Larry Walker playing..or where will Todd Helton be playing? I'll root for the player regardless.

                      In my mind, the only person who's opinion matters as far as legacies go is the player himself. Fans, sportswriters always want to talk about how someone is tarnishing his legacy. What do they know? John Elway got to go out on top, so everyone gets all giddy thinking about his legacy, but I'll respect anyone who goes out on their own terms, regardless of what path (or eventual outcome) they choose. So Emmett Smith goes to the Cards, that's his choice. He makes his own legacy.

                      Did Ray Borque tarnish his legacy by coming to Colorado to win a Stanley Cup? Colorado fans probably don't think so. Boston fans might..but really, who cares about what someone from Boston thinks.
                      Now that's an interesting perspective, being a player fan instead of a team fan.

                      I am most definitely a team fan. And I want great Broncos to be Broncos for their entire careers. Changing teams doesn't mar a player's career from an overall perspective. But it does screw with a player's legacy as part of that team, in my opinion.
                      "You can't take the sky from me..."
                      ------
                      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        I think it takes a lil luster from them. I mean. I would have NEVER guessed that Sharpe would have gone to another team. He will always be a Bronco in my heart, but to know he left and won a Super Bowl with another team does bother me. It also makes you look at every player aquired and drafted differently.

                        You look at your draft choices...and try to figure out exactly you will use their talent for before they go to another team. You can never look at a players contract and figure he will be here forever. You look at the contract and guess that he will be leaving shortly after its over.

                        All talent is just temporarily rented now. Hopefullly you rent other talent that matches up with that rented talent at the right time to get the mix of the perfect rented talent.
                        Yep. And I understand the reality of today's free agency era. But it actually makes the "lifer" more important in my eyes. Having Rod Smith apparently being a Bronco to the very end is important to me; I don't want him pulling an Atwater and fizzling out on another team to end his career.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JWinn
                          I totally understand Jav!!

                          Here's my reason. I'm a card collector, as you may know, lol. In 2002, I was very excited to have Clinton Portis here. I grabbed up lots of his stuff. Cards, a jersey, a mini helmet, a bobblehead.

                          In particular, I went for all the 2002 card of him & Lelie made by a certian company. All the rookies, and inserts, and parrallels. I still look for them, but the Portis cards just dont have the luster they would if he was still a Bronco.

                          It's one thing for a player nearing the end of his career to try to extend it, but quite another when a young guy hits stardom, and we trade him. Especially considering the team just had the store full of his stuff!

                          For example, next year, the store will be filled with Darrent Williams jersyes, shirts, whatever. I will be very hesitant to buy any of, for fear they will do to me what they did with Portis. I got all this stuff, and they trade him.

                          Not saying the trade was bad for the team, but what about the thousands of people running around in blue Portis jerseys? They are pretty much garbage now. For the two hundred bucks I spent on the thing, I cant give it away now. I still wear it though, because I am still proud of what he did in that jersey, but it sure would be nice to have the Portis removed, and put Bell on it. Unless they trade HIM away too!

                          *shrug*
                          Ah, I forgot about Portis.

                          And I also wasn't looking at it from a collector's perspective, be it cards or jerseys or whatever. I can see how it would be dangerous to be collecting memorabilia with today's chaotic player movement.
                          "You can't take the sky from me..."
                          ------
                          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Javalon
                            Yep. And I understand the reality of today's free agency era. But it actually makes the "lifer" more important in my eyes. Having Rod Smith apparently being a Bronco to the very end is important to me; I don't want him pulling an Atwater and fizzling out on another team to end his career.

                            AB-So LUTELY! I couldn't agree more with you on this one.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JWinn
                              I totally understand Jav!!

                              Here's my reason. I'm a card collector, as you may know, lol. In 2002, I was very excited to have Clinton Portis here. I grabbed up lots of his stuff. Cards, a jersey, a mini helmet, a bobblehead.

                              In particular, I went for all the 2002 card of him & Lelie made by a certian company. All the rookies, and inserts, and parrallels. I still look for them, but the Portis cards just dont have the luster they would if he was still a Bronco.

                              It's one thing for a player nearing the end of his career to try to extend it, but quite another when a young guy hits stardom, and we trade him. Especially considering the team just had the store full of his stuff!

                              For example, next year, the store will be filled with Darrent Williams jersyes, shirts, whatever. I will be very hesitant to buy any of, for fear they will do to me what they did with Portis. I got all this stuff, and they trade him.

                              Not saying the trade was bad for the team, but what about the thousands of people running around in blue Portis jerseys? They are pretty much garbage now. For the two hundred bucks I spent on the thing, I cant give it away now. I still wear it though, because I am still proud of what he did in that jersey, but it sure would be nice to have the Portis removed, and put Bell on it. Unless they trade HIM away too!

                              *shrug*
                              Ouch. But can't you take that jersey to a seamstress and have the name Changed to Bell?? Wouldn't cost you very much to do, and would give you a jersey that is of a player of Now.... and give you a chance to sell it (if you wished to) and get some value for that 200 bucks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X