Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy thought: Droughns/Griffin/Galloway = RB by committee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy thought: Droughns/Griffin/Galloway = RB by committee?

Seeing how our remaining stable of RB's only adds up to a Clinton Portis with all three combined, I'm wondering if we may see a RB by committee situation like Philly has...

With our talented O-Line and Jake's scrambling ability, think about this...Shanny designs plays around the style of running of each RB - keeps the D guessing and the RB's fresh and healthy.

Wouldn't that be a different look for the Broncos...

No opinions??

Comment

this is what i have been saying all along!!!!!

but griffin would have to get 70 - 80% of the carries.

Comment

Sorry Bronx...missed your post on it. Been trying to keep up with everyone's takes.

I think we'd see Droughns with most of the carries but who knows. With Griffin's Sanders-like running style and Droughns punching through the line - it would be a one-two punch that would open up our deep pass ability if we can get a consistent deep threat WR.

Comment

personally i dun think it would work out, cuz itll work for prob a few games but then when teams look through video and stuff i think theyll find out why and when we use each rb and then theyll know how to stop em, hey but its jus my idea.
          It wouldnt hurt to do it a few times jus to get defenses guessing, but i dun think we shuld b depending on it for a whole season.

Comment

i think the idea works if u have a main guy.

philly have westbrook who is the main guy.

n.e. had no 1 so they could'nt run the ball.

Comment

I've though about it, but I don't like that idea. Teams employ that philosophy when they don't have a legit RB, like a Portis. I'm a firm believer in rythm and chemistry. I like one back who is in there play after play. I'm just having a hard time with Griffin being the 'main' back, period, whether he is getting 70% of the carries or 90%. I love the kid, and he has skill, but 10 years from now, I just don't see him being more than a Dave Megget or an Eric Metcalf type of player.

(I hope he proves me wrong)

Comment

That's the entire point of it actually - if you design enough plays around ttwo or even three RBs, think of how much play-action passing Snake will be able to do...

With a beefed up defense that we're building, our offense will be able to pick and choose much like the Patriots do. Look at the Pats - neither of their RBs are really that good and Troy Brown is the only consistent threat as far as WRs, but the Pats D keeps the offense on the field and they got it done again.

With our incredible O-Line (considered the best in the NFL) our RBs will be able to run all over defenses and above all - open up our WRs and Jake's scrambles...it would be a beautiful thing.

I suspect one of the reasons Shanny & Co. are willing to trade Portis is that he's the biggest ego on the team now. Shanny is tired of distractions like that. A RB-by-committee eliminates single ego trips and creates healthy competition for more carries.

The downfall of it is, after one of those RBs proves to lead the pack - he'll want to be compensated/traded.

Who knows...it's fun to think about it though

Comment

I really don't like runningback by committee. Who's jersey do I buy? Who'll be here next year? I hate this revolving door that is our runningback. The one time we finally get someone solid again, we trade him off. RB by committee apparently works, but I think it's bad for fans and for the game as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by bry422
                    I've though about it, but I don't like that idea. Teams employ that philosophy when they don't have a legit RB, like a Portis. I'm a firm believer in rythm and chemistry. I like one back who is in there play after play. I'm just having a hard time with Griffin being the 'main' back, period, whether he is getting 70% of the carries or 90%. I love the kid, and he has skill, but 10 years from now, I just don't see him being more than a Dave Megget or an Eric Metcalf type of player.

(I hope he proves me wrong)
                    I agree with you, i meen im not sayin Q's not good but i jus dun him being our main hb, he's a great back up ( hey he proved it in the colts game), but i jus dun c him doing the same stuff that portis has.

Comment

I don't like the committee idea. We don't have group mentality at QB why should we at running back. We need to have one person, who knows the cadence, the plays, and who the offensive line knows how to block for instead of this runniner is a slasher vs a north-south guy..
                      The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

I bet those three guys wouldnt mind getting a shot at being the RB in Denver. Lets face the facts the last 4 or so backs in Denvers system have produced.

Having Champ on our D will be huge it lets the other corner have help every down if need be. I love Clinton Portis but...We might just be better without him(that was real hard to type)

All i know is i want Denver to win.
                        97-DenverBroncos-98

Comment

Re: Crazy thought: Droughns/Griffin/Galloway = RB by committee?

Originally posted by TxBroncoFan
                          Seeing how our remaining stable of RB's only adds up to a Clinton Portis with all three combined, I'm wondering if we may see a RB by committee situation like Philly has...

With our talented O-Line and Jake's scrambling ability, think about this...Shanny designs plays around the style of running of each RB - keeps the D guessing and the RB's fresh and healthy.

Wouldn't that be a different look for the Broncos...
                          I really don't like that idea, i think you need one guy carrying the majority of the load.
                          sigpic

Comment

RB by committee sucks. Its the concept teams use if they don't have a featured back. If the Broncs don't go after a back through FA, then we'll probably see Q and Galloway battling for the starting spot.

Comment

I don't like the committee idea. We need consistency and I don't think Griffin can be that type of back. But I could be wrong.
                              Sprite? Good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with?

Comment

Working...
                              X