Top 10 reasons to trade Portis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 reasons to trade Portis

#10. That championship belt thing was embarrasing! Never proclaim yourself the champ, let others do it for you!
    #9. His clothes are dreadful!
    #8. Olandis Gary (who knew?)
    #7. Mike Anderson (who knew?)
    #6. Terrel Davis (who knew?)
    #5. Quentin Griffin (who knows?)

#4. Several players now hate him (how do you think Al wilson feels, he fullfilled his contract and has a right to be paid - Portis is trying to take his money).

#3. The Broncos have endured years of one big CB bust after another: Carter, Middlebrooks, O'Neal, etc. They may very well be one impact player away from being a truly dominant defense. Coyer is a great coach. If they can sign the core LBs Gold and Wilson, keep Pryce healthy, and bring along the young tackles, they will have all of the pieces (including Bailey) in place.

#2. Over-rated. I know, I know. I saw it too. As a die-hard Broncos fan, I loved watching Portis tear apart the opposing defenses. The man has talent! However, Portis reminds me of the Mazda RX7 I used to have: At first it felt real good, it was fast and powerful and fun to look at. But a few years later, all I could remember is how often it broke down, how much money I threw at it, and how it often failed to get me where I wanted to go. Portis doesn't work out like a 2000 yd rusher should. He doesn't want to train in the off-season with the team. He much prefers to work out on his own schedule in Miami. Seems to me he gets dinged up a lot for a 'stud' who's in his prime!

#1 NO CLASS!!! Bottom line, the guy signed a contract and he agreed to play for the money on the table. I'm sorry if Clinton Portis feels like his performance exceeded his paycheck. Consider this: If the Broncos had originally signed him to $3Mil a year with a $5Mil bonus, and he turned out to be a horrible RB, do you think he'd walk into Shannahan's office and say "Sorry man, I think you overpaid me, here's a check."?!? Of course not, because most players think it's a one way street - The teams should always have to honor the contracts, even if the players don't.

I don't care if the Broncos trade him for a second string long-snapper! I lost all respect for Portis the day I opened the paper and read his comments from Hawaii. I love my team and want them to win, but I'd rather see them struggle and fight than give in to that piece of garbage!

Champ is an awesome addition to the Broncos D, and the draft pick is nothing but gravy!

Goodbye, Good Riddance, and Go Broncos!

The Duke of Death
    ~SshrpALelCB Lcous @T&T T m1 ^S 4Tr~

So,

Portis is a piece of garbage for wanting more money but Champ is a welcome addition for turning down a 55 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT BECAUSE IT WASN'T ENOUGH.

Whatever.

You have 0 credibility with this moronic view.
    Originally posted by boltzpride619
    What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
    True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

Yea I agree with you. Fully. ABOUT THE CLOTHES. Portis is tried and true buddy. He's 85% of our offense. I bet you he breaks 2 G's in the next 2 years. Im a die hard Bronco fan to man and I want nothing more then to win a hell of alot more super bowls. But I promise you we dont do it with QG. And no homie Portis isint trying to take Wilsons money he's trying to take his own money that he deserves. If we lose Portis and I got a sick gut feeling we will I bet he has career days against the Broncos and runs all over Champ. If Portis breaks 2,000 Im gonna say it "He's better then T.D." Whew bold but true. No I aint knockin T.D. how could I ever do that he was great and even deserves the H.O.F..
      If we got any chance it's with Portis.
      "We bust back faster then whistles, from Bronco raider officials" e.W.t.

Comment

Portis on the field is awesome!!! But I still say the bottom line is: Stand by your Word!!! The man agreed to the terms.
        I believe Shannahan can hold his head up high on this one, no matter what.

Never, Never compare Poor-me-tis with the great TD. TD was more of a man wearing diapers than Portis will ever be. how many times did Terrel (at the time the BEST in the league) re-structure his contract to help the Broncos field the best possible team?

Score all the touchdowns you want, if you don't have integrity and a team oriented attitude, I don't want you around!

By the way, BAILEY FULLFILLED HIS CONTRACT, HE DESERVES TO ASK FOR MORE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Duke_of_Death
          Portis on the field is awesome!!! But I still say the bottom line is: Stand by your Word!!! The man agreed to the terms.
          I believe Shannahan can hold his head up high on this one, no matter what.

Never, Never compare Poor-me-tis with the great TD. TD was more of a man wearing diapers than Portis will ever be. how many times did Terrel (at the time the BEST in the league) re-structure his contract to help the Broncos field the best possible team?

Score all the touchdowns you want, if you don't have integrity and a team oriented attitude, I don't want you around!

By the way, BAILEY FULLFILLED HIS CONTRACT, HE DESERVES TO ASK FOR MORE!!!!

Like I said man "IF" Portis breaks 2 g's I will consider him better then T.D.. Portis's word is on the field. On field play wins super bowls not a piece of paper. Although the paper is very mighty. $$$$$

Comment

I think all the talk that the Broncos should dump Portis because of his attitude is pretty stupid. The league is full of ego's just like Portis' ego. That is just the way things are today IMO.
            BroncoCy: Quality posting since Nov 2003

Comment

I will always respect the rights of others to state their opinions, just wanted to state mine.

In the end, it's all about the team. I'm thinkin' life's good!

Have a good night!

The Duke

Comment

I will always respect the rights of others to state their opinions, just wanted to state mine.

Have a good night!

The Duke
                Amen
                BroncoCy: Quality posting since Nov 2003

Comment

Have a good night!

The Duke
                  I respect that as well and yes it does come down to the BRONCOS and hey thats what im about. Basically were all monday quarter backs when it comes down to it we all want the Broncos to win. Some just different then others. And dont sweat portisistheman calling you moronic hes in a bad mood cause mrs portis wants to be my penpal.

Comment

Duke,

Gotta say my man....great take - even though not many agreed with it - well written. It made me look at my opinion of Portis again. But even as well-written as it was - I gotta disagree also.

I will say that I've loved seeing him play and I was physically sick when I heard the news of the trade - we will not find another RB with his level of talent very easily, even with our great O-Line and system. God...I remember his first training camp - our defense was comparing him to Barry Sanders...Al Wilson was quoted as saying "One second he's right in front of you and then - BAM - he's gone". They knew then that he was something special even before his first start.

I'm going to miss him dearly - ego, wacked wardrobe, championship belt and all. He has that perfect chip on his shoulder...the style and attitude of a champion. No matter what your view is now...you have to admit - you loved him in blue and orange. It will feel like a big piece of our Broncos team is missing when they step out on the field and #26 isn't lined up to take the handoff. He's a good kid with alot of talent and I think every TRUE Bronco fan needs to wish him all the good fortune on another team for what he gave us while he was here. At least with TD...there was a slight sense of closure since it was an injury that not many RB's recover from.

He isn't trying to steal anyone's $$ - he deserves a great contract. Especially considering he now has two 1500 yd seasons and a ROY award under his "championship" belt. He just wants what he deserves and no one in their right mind can blame him for that - that's not selfish...that's just common sense. As an RB, he only has a few peak years of performance to make his mark and a season-ending injury is always lurking around the corner (look at TD). He should get what he can while he can - period.

It hurts to trade a player who has made such a massive impact on a team's success and identity in such a short amount of time. But I for one, am tired of watching us do such amazing things on offense only to watch our secondary give it away. The Broncos need this trade in order to adjust to the new millenium's NFL way of winning: DEFENSE.

It comes at a high price..but maybe watching Champ shut down star receivers in Orange and Blue will help ease the sting of not seeing #26 lined up...ready to bring another 6 to our scoreboard.

Thanks Clinton...it was a great dance while it lasted.

By the way Duke...I'll say it again - damn fine take. I hope you stick around and contribute more to this board.

Comment

You must not know to much about true talent which this guy has; his size will prevent him from being a 350 carries per year guy but he will get over 1500+ yards a year. Miami players and former players take serious pride in being the best and making themselves the best. They all go back and work themselves out harder than any other program in the country, that's why they are always one of the best teams in the country. It does hurt Portis with not being as close to other players but he will come in to camp in better shape than any back the Broncos will have in camp. The Broncos do need secondary help but it is mainly the system they play, they all need to learn how to tackle and be physical, not just look to make a big hit. Look at every DB that has left the Broncos went on to start for other teams and play well, look at Poole, he sucked in Denver and went to start for the Super Bowl Champs. They need to change the soft mentality.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but don't agree with some of it. But like you said everyone is free to have their own opinions. But since when has what a player worn had anything to do with their playing ability? Do you honestly think that the other players were upset with him for wanting more money? Normally I am dead-set against contract re-negotiations but this would have been an exception. He deserved to get paid more and I bet that the other players agreed with that. He was certainly ****y and arrogant, but that was part of what made him "great". How many "great" running backs out there have no confidence in themselves? None.
                        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

I agree with you on one thing Duke, Portis is like a Mazda, he will break down! That's what I keep explaining to these fools, just sit back and watch, as he goes down in history with Okoye, Barry Foster, Chris Warren, Natrone Means and Duece Staley in the class of RB's who broke down!!!
                          [QUOTE]
                          If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Duke,

Well written post. Although I didn't particularly care about "the belt", and his choice of attire, I did have to take a step back and look when you were comparing the differences btwn CP and TD.

I do agree with your opinion there. TD was not only a great RB, ( one of the best ever imho ), but he was a great Team Player. Fortunately we have quite a few of those in Denver. Maybe that's one thing that people tend to over look when they critisize Shanahan. He may not be the best when it comes to the draft, but he's been very good at surrounding himself with "good" players and "great" people. I thought the reference to Portis being "too good" to hit training camp with the team was an interesting take that I hadn't thought of previously.

I do agree wholeheartedly that Portis is being an a$$ about his contract. He should have went to mgmt directly instead of airing out for ESPN. The problem is, that Broncos players ( under Shanahan's reign ) have always played through rookie contracts and if they played well, were rewarded once the contract expired. Shanahan is sending a message to current and future Bronco rookies that he's standing by this tradition. This may very well benefit the organization as a whole.

All the above aside, I would personally love to see CP stay here. I don't think Bailey is worth what this will cost us. This is however selfish in nature ( on my part ). I simply think he's too great of a back to let go. I also believe that Champ won't do much for us. Sure he's a great CB, but we are giving up one "attitude" for another one. Champ isn't exactly the poster child for "Team support". We all know how this attitude helped Daryl Gardner and his plight with the Broncos mgmt. *note... I hope he gets canned and gets zero of his bonus *

My opinions don't really matter much in this matter. I'm more concerned with how the team will take this possible trade. Hope this doesn't cause much discord in the locker room.

Again... well written post. I enjoyed reading your opinion on the subject as it made me rethink mine. Thanks.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                            ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Originally posted by portisistheman
                              So,

Portis is a piece of garbage for wanting more money but Champ is a welcome addition for turning down a 55 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT BECAUSE IT WASN'T ENOUGH.

Whatever.

You have 0 credibility with this moronic view.
                              champ at least played out his contract but portis wouldn't do that. Champ said he wanted to be on a SB caliber team which is why he turned down the skins.

Don't go insulting people's opinion when they did a good job of presenting it and didn't insult anybody like you did moron.
                              Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Working...
                              X