the broncos loyalty shines through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the broncos loyalty shines through

i have been slightly concerned with the wilson, portis talks and wondering if our 'TEAM' was becoming money fuelled and selfish but after what i read in the denver post my misgivings were quashed.

wilson deserved his bonus and it helps our cap room.

wilson, gold and mobley said they all want to be broncos and money is just a standard formality.

i have to praise the work of shanahan and bowlen. bowlen said that denver takes care of its own, as its proven but only when there contract is up, as it should be done.

it would be easy to give in to portis but we have proved that the 'TEAM' will always come before ANY individual.

this is a proud day for all bronco lovers.

bronx

I was wondering if anyone else was going to mention that
    Yes i saw that, and hopefully that should help greatly with the cap problem
    sigpicPlease Help A die Hard Broncos Fan Out, And Share Or Pledge My Kickstarter Party Game "Help Wanted" http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...help-wanted-0/

Comment

Aye, that sure was a nice read.

Comment

Great topic Bronx...

I posted this on another thread - but in addition...what you have pointed out is the very essence of what makes it great to be a true Bronco fan. I love these guys - every one of 'em. To be a Bronco transcends any other team chemistry in the NFL.

Here is my take on having to say goodbye to our incredible #26:

I will say that I've loved seeing him play and I was physically sick when I heard the news of the trade - we will not find another RB with his level of talent very easily, even with our great O-Line and system. God...I remember his first training camp - our defense was comparing him to Barry Sanders...Al Wilson was quoted as saying "One second he's right in front of you and then - BAM - he's gone". They knew then that he was something special even before his first start.

I'm going to miss him dearly - ego, wacked wardrobe, championship belt and all. He has that perfect balance of a chip on his shoulder along with the style and attitude of a champion. No matter what your view is now...you have to admit - you loved him in blue and orange. It will feel like a big piece of our Broncos team is missing when they step out on the field and #26 isn't lined up to take the handoff. He's a good kid with alot of talent and I think every TRUE Bronco fan needs to wish him all the good fortune on another team for what he gave us while he was here. At least with TD...there was a slight sense of closure since it was an injury that not many RB's recover from. This is a little more painful - like saying goodbye to your best friend when you depart for different colleges.

To those that are looking for a way to justify trading him with less pain....Portis isn't trying to steal anyone's $$ - he deserves a great contract. Especially considering he now has two 1500 yd seasons and a ROY award under his "championship" belt. He just wants what he deserves and no one in their right mind can blame him for that - that's not selfish...that's just common sense. As an RB, he only has a few peak years of performance to make his mark and a season-ending injury is always lurking around the corner (look at TD). He should get what he can while he can - period.

It hurts to trade a player who has made such a massive impact on a team's success and identity in such a short amount of time. But I for one, am tired of watching us do such amazing things on offense only to watch our secondary give it away. The Broncos need this trade in order to adjust to the new millenium's NFL way of winning: DEFENSE.

It comes at a high price..but maybe watching Champ shut down star receivers in Orange and Blue will help ease the sting of not seeing #26 lined up...ready to bring another 6 to our scoreboard.

Thanks Clinton...it was a great dance while it lasted. We're going to miss you tremendously...hopefully the next team will love you just as much.
        Last edited by TxBroncoFan; 02-25-2004, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Great post! It echos my sentiments exactly. Portis was certainly my favorite player on the team (since big Mac has been having injury problems), but I have come to realize that no one player (other than Elway) is more important than the team. It will hurt to see Portis go, but he does deserve to be paid for his accomplishments. And if Denver isn't willing to do it, then I am glad that some other team will. I hope he will be successful in Washington, but I can't help but wonder how he will do running behind a different offensive line. As always, GO BRONCOS! Time for the Orange Crush to return to Denver. Wouldn't it be great if we could get that great Safety, Sean Taylor? Make another trade for an early draft pick Mike.
          Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by luvdembroncs
            Wouldn't it be great if we could get that great Safety, Sean Taylor? Make another trade for an early draft pick Mike.
            Draft picks are always a dodgey thing. Just look at Ryan Leaf, Griese and TD. You can never tell what will happen with anyone going from college to the pros. Some college superstars maintain their performance while others seem to explode. Some mediocre college players turn into great players in the NFL. At best the Draft is a [email protected] shoot. You just don't know what you'll get in the end.

Comment

He deserves to get paid, yah ill agree, when the contract he agreed to is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Krugan
                He deserves to get paid, yah ill agree, when the contract he agreed to is up.
                A lot of you guys crack me up. If you were in his shoes you would probably be doing the same thing. $300k for his talent is crazy. If he were making more than that then my opinion would be the same as yours.

Comment

A lot of you guys crack me up. If you were in his shoes you would probably be doing the same thing. $300k for his talent is crazy. If he were making more than that then my opinion would be the same as yours.
                  I would be happy making 300k. Plus if I was in shoes I wouldn't have gone to the media to complain about my pay, I would have gone to shanny himself rather than make myself and perhaps the organization look bad. Portis did this probably the worst way he could have. Even hinting at holding out is ridiculous when you signed a contract on your own free will. He should have made the contract for 3 years or something if he didn't like it.
                  Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
                    I would be happy making 300k. Plus if I was in shoes I wouldn't have gone to the media to complain about my pay, I would have gone to shanny himself rather than make myself and perhaps the organization look bad. Portis did this probably the worst way he could have. Even hinting at holding out is ridiculous when you signed a contract on your own free will. He should have made the contract for 3 years or something if he didn't like it.
                    Yea...both parties are at fault. Shanny would love to keep CP...but maybe Portis is looking for a 75 million dollar contract?

Denver cannot keep him and I have overlooked a lot of things and didn't see the big picture.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Loyalty?

So they sign Wilson....great. But what about the other guys they're most definately going to cut or waive? Like Mike Anderson! He has always stepped up when the Broncos needed him and now they're going to cut his pay in half and let him look for a job elsewhere.

Also, Ed McCaffrey. The guy has been injured the past two years...never really healed. Rumors say they'll waive him before training camp. Doesn't sound like loayalty to me....

I'm a bit skeptical at the moment of the front office.
                      -----------------------------------------
                      Is Atwater around? Terrell Owens needs a SMACK DOWN!

Comment

Originally posted by orange_crush77
                        Loyalty?

So they sign Wilson....great. But what about the other guys they're most definately going to cut or waive? Like Mike Anderson! He has always stepped up when the Broncos needed him and now they're going to cut his pay in half and let him look for a job elsewhere.

Also, Ed McCaffrey. The guy has been injured the past two years...never really healed. Rumors say they'll waive him before training camp. Doesn't sound like loayalty to me....

I'm a bit skeptical at the moment of the front office.
                        How about loyalty with a dose of commen sense?

Mike Anderson signed his contract after proving his worth as a tailback, not fullback. As a fullback he's decent but nothing special. The Broncos rewarded him with a raise before his original contract was up and now they might need to adjust it again to squeak 'neath the old cap next season.

And I love Eddie Mac but his performace is definitely on the decline. He got a big signing bonus when he signed his current contract and he got paid his full salary the last three seasons despite injury troubles that severely limited him. He can still contribute to the team but his base salary is just too high for his aging skills.

The Broncos need cap room THIS season, thanks to the Griese fiasco, and need to focus on the players who are getting paid more than they're earning. The Broncos are loyal to their players when common sense dictates they'll still be a major part of the team and their contracts can be squashed under the cap.

Nobody
                        in this league is going to be so blindly loyal to players that they pay them too much at the expense of the salary cap. It just doesn't make sense.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
                          Come on man, if you were seriously underpaid you would be pissed about it. If not, you are a bigger man than a lot of other people. I do agree that the way Portis handled it was wrong. I wonder how much of this could have been avoided if he would have handled it differently.

Comment

Come on man, if you were seriously underpaid you would be pissed about it. If not, you are a bigger man than a lot of other people. I do agree that the way Portis handled it was wrong. I wonder how much of this could have been avoided if he would have handled it differently.
                            I'm underpaid right now for my experience and qualifications but I like the company and the security so I'm willing to take the lower pay. But that doesn't matter, we agree that Portis handled it wrong.
                            Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

I'm not arguing about the salary cap - you said LOYALTY. These guys have proven they can play and have stepped up when the Broncos needed them...that's all I'm saying.

The way the front office has operated thus far in the offseason - if John Elway were in his fifth year with the club today he would surely have been traded....
                              -----------------------------------------
                              Is Atwater around? Terrell Owens needs a SMACK DOWN!

Comment

Working...
                              X