Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think our pass defense is better than rank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think our pass defense is better than rank?

Ok this is more of a question to all than an opinion but I think the reason we are last in the pass defense is because we were ahead in alot of our games and that forced teams to pass on us for alot of the game.....now we did have some bad games as every team does but this brings me to my actual question:

Is the ranking a truthful one or why do you think it is not?

Originally posted by slapshot726
    Ok this is more of a question to all than an opinion but I think the reason we are last in the pass defense is because we were ahead in alot of our games and that forced teams to pass on us for alot of the game.....now we did have some bad games as every team does but this brings me to my actual question:

No, and mainly for the reason you stated. Entering the fourth quarter the Broncos had the lead 13 times this season, and won 12 of those games. I don't have any stats of passing by quarter, but leading going into the fourth would generally mean you lead most of the game. When you have the lead on a team, especially towards the end, it forces them to pass.

Although our secondary has been nothing short of amazing this year, they have given up some plays. Other things that don't help is a 90+ yard play when Champ pulls his hammy, and players being confused on coverage at KC, etc.

Granted we're not as good against the pass as the run, but we have been playing the pass better than the yardage numbers would seem to show.

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

well we're ranked 29th in pass defense, so it can't be much worse

yes i think we're far better in pass defense than our rank, but i dont think we're among the best. our pass defense is slightly above average, not top 10

Comment

Originally posted by USMC_Davii
        No, and mainly for the reason you stated. Entering the fourth quarter the Broncos had the lead 13 times this season, and won 12 of those games. I don't have any stats of passing by quarter, but leading going into the fourth would generally mean you lead most of the game. When you have the lead on a team, especially towards the end, it forces them to pass.

Although our secondary has been nothing short of amazing this year, they have given up some plays. Other things that don't help is a 90+ yard play when Champ pulls his hammy, and players being confused on coverage at KC, etc.

Granted we're not as good against the pass as the run, but we have been playing the pass better than the yardage numbers would seem to show.
        Also remember that we have had alot of picks in the end zone and down on our end of the field.....just think of Foxworth against Philly, Ferguson and Champ against Baltimore, and Ferguson against Oakland, Williams against Oakland....teams are driving the length of the field and then we shut them down.

Comment

Well, we have been very opportunistic . . .

I do wish we were a little stingier with the yards.

Far as I can see, we need ONE good speed rusher from DE.
          With that one addition, we could vault ourselves to the top, IMO.

-----

Comment

Our ranking is only part of our pass defense...Don't forget that we are 2nd in the NFL in INTs, which are probably a better indicator of the sucess of passing defense than total yards.

Comment

Our Pass defense is not better than our rank.

Comment

the 29th ranked pass defense is a result of the inadequate pass rush.... we are ranked i believe last in sacks, what that means is we are giving the qb way to much time to set up, survey the field, move the pocket , and find a open guy........is this because the front four cant get it done...or because "as coyer stated if the really went after the qb they would wreak havoc"...of his defensive game plan

the flip side is we are getting way more turn overs.........so is that a result of better pass rushing or better db's
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

I agree about the pass rush....we should defiantely try to draft a dominate defensive lineman.

Comment

Let's put an end to this right now...Passing Yardage is a meaningless defensive stat.

1) INTs are more important.

2) Preventing points is a LOT more important.

3) Here's a list of the teams in the AFC that have given up the FEWEST passing yards:

1 NY Jets 261 426 61.3 2583 172.2 6.49 50 15 17 28 181 75.3
                    2 Cleveland 264 435 60.7 2729 181.9 6.57 51 19 13 21 129 82.1
                    3 Jacksonville 264 443 59.6 2775 185.0 6.87 83 20 18 46 269 78.5
                    4 Baltimore 274 488 56.1 2786 185.7 6.21 56 17 10 37 243 77.8

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...=2005&season=2

So if passing yards is so important, why are the Jets and Browns leading the AFC?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind2002
                      Our Pass defense is not better than our rank.
                      Some stats to think about before making that judgement.

The Broncos had 613 pass attempts thrown on them this year, the Giants were second with 580.

The Broncos allowed only a 56.1% completion rate, fifth in the NFL.

They gave up yards, yes, but if we were run on nearly as much as teams HAD to pass on us, we wouldn't be nearly as good against the run.

Code Of Conduct
                      ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
                        Let's put an end to this right now...Passing Yardage is a meaningless defensive stat.

1) INTs are more important.

2) Preventing points is a LOT more important.

3) Here's a list of the teams in the AFC that have given up the FEWEST passing yards:

1 NY Jets 261 426 61.3 2583 172.2 6.49 50 15 17 28 181 75.3
                        2 Cleveland 264 435 60.7 2729 181.9 6.57 51 19 13 21 129 82.1
                        3 Jacksonville 264 443 59.6 2775 185.0 6.87 83 20 18 46 269 78.5
                        4 Baltimore 274 488 56.1 2786 185.7 6.21 56 17 10 37 243 77.8

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...=2005&season=2

So if passing yards is so important, why are the Jets and Browns leading the AFC?

that is probably the best quote I have heard all day.....you are right that it is a meaningless stat....the important one is points given up and I think the Broncos are up there in that department.....oh and the most important stat of all wins and we are pretty good in that field too.

Comment

The Broncos were second this year in outscoring opponents in the first half. That means they jumped out to early leads and the opponents gave up on the run, which is one of the reasons we were so good against the run. The other reason is because when they tried to run early, we stopped them.

Since almost every team was behind early, and some behind big, they through early and often. We had 613 pass attempts against us or 38 passes a game. The most pass attempts against by a decent margin. The league average would be around 32 pass attempts a game.

On the other hand, we only allowed a 56.1% completion rate, tied for 4th best in the league. The league average would be pushing 60%.

Denver is also 4th in the league in scoring defense at 16.1, just trailing Indy and Pitts. Only Chicago is in another class at 11.2 points per game.

All of this combined, along with watching our passing defense come through just about every time it has needed to, tells me they are better than the ranking and therefore will surprise some people in the playoffs.

A lot comes down to the pass rush, though. If we cannot get pressure on QB's the playoffs, most of those QB's will pick us apart, because a secondary can only cover receivers for so long. So they are better, but can be exploited if we can't pressure the QB.
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

that is probably the best quote I have heard all day.....you are right that it is a meaningless stat....the important one is points given up and I think the Broncos are up there in that department.....oh and the most important stat of all wins and we are pretty good in that field too.
                            Tied for fourth in points allowed. We allowed 258 points this year, 16.1 per game.

Code Of Conduct

Comment

Statistically our pass defense is ranked very low, but that is decieving. They are leaps and bounds better than they were last year in pass defense when we ranked 6th in the league.

The most obvious difference is that we are fifth in the league in interceptions with twenty. Last year we ranked near the bottom of the league in this category, but this isn't the only difference. This year we have had a lead for most of the time. This means that teams have passed on us a lot. Teams have passed on us more than any other team in the league by a VERY wide margin. The second most passed on team was passed on 33 less times. That's pretty much an extra game's worth of attempts against us. And that's only the second place team. People have passed way more than the league average against us.

Clearly our statistics have been skewed by us having a lead.

Despite having been passed on, we rank fifth in completion percentage given up.

Our completion percentage allowed is 56.1. That is a virtual tie with Chicago and Baltimore. (Two pretty good defenses.)

Beyond that, we are fourth in the league allowing 6.25 yards per attempt.

By all measurements that are not padded by allowing a lot of attempts, we rank very highly. We are a not a top 10 passing defense. We are a top 5 passing defense.

Our only real weakness in a lot of the games that we've played this year is that we haven't done an excellent job of getting a pass rush with our front four. However, in some games (like against New England and against KC the first time), we had been getting a good rush. And we again got a great pass rush against San Diego.
                              My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                              . Post Your Artwork .
                              . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X