Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think our pass defense is better than rank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
    I agree that Courtney hasn't done a great job rushing the passer.

However, we've had problems rushing the passer for the last couple of years.

We had a couple of decent rushing ends (Berry and Hayward), but we were never dominant. In several games this year, we've had a very good pass rush. We just haven't been consistent.

Also, our defensive line has done a great job of playing the run. Sometimes pass rushers are overrated, because they can rush the passer, but can't stop the run at all.

And this is the whole point: If you can't stop the run, you will never be able to rush the passer, as the other team will never pass.

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    I think we are better than our rank, but I still think we can improve. We have to step up our pass defense in the playoffs. It can be done with the players we have on the current roster.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
    It seems to me that our pass rush was better without Courtney Brown.Is Courtney Brown the reason our pass rush hasnt been good?
    I agree that Courtney hasn't done a great job rushing the passer.

However, we've had problems rushing the passer for the last couple of years.

We had a couple of decent rushing ends (Berry and Hayward), but we were never dominant. In several games this year, we've had a very good pass rush. We just haven't been consistent.

Also, our defensive line has done a great job of playing the run. Sometimes pass rushers are overrated, because they can rush the passer, but can't stop the run at all.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to it.
    Our great minds have collided more than once!

-----

Leave a comment:

• Jaxyoup
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastermind2002
    Our Pass defense is not better than our rank.

Lay off the crakc son...of course it is and I agree with th thread 100%!!!

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Courtney Brown

It seems to me that our pass rush was better without Courtney Brown.Is Courtney Brown the reason our pass rush hasnt been good?
    Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 01-01-2006, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    I do wish we were a little stingier with the yards.

Far as I can see, we need ONE good speed rusher from DE.
    With that one addition, we could vault ourselves to the top, IMO.

-----
    I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to it.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    Passing offenses often score more points.

In the same way that our passing defense has had their numbers skewed by our leads, our passing offense has also been skewed.

We rank 18th in the league in passing yards per game, but we rank tenth in yards per attempt. Of course, this statistic is also skewed by our leads. When you get a good lead, you do still pass, but you often pass to only get a first down. This makes your average lower, but we still rank pretty decently in the category.

Anyway, I like our chances against either team.

They've had the priveledge of playing the likes of San Fran(32), Houston(31), Tennessee(29), St. Louis(27), New England(30), Cincinatti(22), and Jacksonville(21).

All of those teams rank 20th or lower in yards per attempt allowed. I'll give the Jags the benefit of the doubt, because they do a lot of other things well on defense, but for the most part, the Colts and Seahawks have had their stats padded.

Leave a comment:

• BroncFanIN
    replied
    On the flip side, we score an avg of 24.7 points per game, with 46 touchdowns (25 run, 18 pass).
    That trails Indy by 4 points and Cincy by 3 points.

As long as our offense outscores points given up by the defense, we are in good shape

Leave a comment:

• slapshot726
    replied
    Originally posted by USMC_Davii
    Tied for fourth in points allowed. We allowed 258 points this year, 16.1 per game.
    That is pretty good and we still arent getting respect....I cant wait for the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    Statistically our pass defense is ranked very low, but that is decieving. They are leaps and bounds better than they were last year in pass defense when we ranked 6th in the league.

The most obvious difference is that we are fifth in the league in interceptions with twenty. Last year we ranked near the bottom of the league in this category, but this isn't the only difference. This year we have had a lead for most of the time. This means that teams have passed on us a lot. Teams have passed on us more than any other team in the league by a VERY wide margin. The second most passed on team was passed on 33 less times. That's pretty much an extra game's worth of attempts against us. And that's only the second place team. People have passed way more than the league average against us.

Clearly our statistics have been skewed by us having a lead.

Despite having been passed on, we rank fifth in completion percentage given up.

Our completion percentage allowed is 56.1. That is a virtual tie with Chicago and Baltimore. (Two pretty good defenses.)

Beyond that, we are fourth in the league allowing 6.25 yards per attempt.

By all measurements that are not padded by allowing a lot of attempts, we rank very highly. We are a not a top 10 passing defense. We are a top 5 passing defense.

Our only real weakness in a lot of the games that we've played this year is that we haven't done an excellent job of getting a pass rush with our front four. However, in some games (like against New England and against KC the first time), we had been getting a good rush. And we again got a great pass rush against San Diego.

Leave a comment:

• USMC_Davii
    replied
    Originally posted by slapshot726
    that is probably the best quote I have heard all day.....you are right that it is a meaningless stat....the important one is points given up and I think the Broncos are up there in that department.....oh and the most important stat of all wins and we are pretty good in that field too.
    Tied for fourth in points allowed. We allowed 258 points this year, 16.1 per game.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    The Broncos were second this year in outscoring opponents in the first half. That means they jumped out to early leads and the opponents gave up on the run, which is one of the reasons we were so good against the run. The other reason is because when they tried to run early, we stopped them.

Since almost every team was behind early, and some behind big, they through early and often. We had 613 pass attempts against us or 38 passes a game. The most pass attempts against by a decent margin. The league average would be around 32 pass attempts a game.

On the other hand, we only allowed a 56.1% completion rate, tied for 4th best in the league. The league average would be pushing 60%.

Denver is also 4th in the league in scoring defense at 16.1, just trailing Indy and Pitts. Only Chicago is in another class at 11.2 points per game.

All of this combined, along with watching our passing defense come through just about every time it has needed to, tells me they are better than the ranking and therefore will surprise some people in the playoffs.

A lot comes down to the pass rush, though. If we cannot get pressure on QB's the playoffs, most of those QB's will pick us apart, because a secondary can only cover receivers for so long. So they are better, but can be exploited if we can't pressure the QB.

Leave a comment:

• slapshot726
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx
    Let's put an end to this right now...Passing Yardage is a meaningless defensive stat.

1) INTs are more important.

2) Preventing points is a LOT more important.

3) Here's a list of the teams in the AFC that have given up the FEWEST passing yards:

1 NY Jets 261 426 61.3 2583 172.2 6.49 50 15 17 28 181 75.3
    2 Cleveland 264 435 60.7 2729 181.9 6.57 51 19 13 21 129 82.1
    3 Jacksonville 264 443 59.6 2775 185.0 6.87 83 20 18 46 269 78.5
    4 Baltimore 274 488 56.1 2786 185.7 6.21 56 17 10 37 243 77.8

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...=2005&season=2

So if passing yards is so important, why are the Jets and Browns leading the AFC?

that is probably the best quote I have heard all day.....you are right that it is a meaningless stat....the important one is points given up and I think the Broncos are up there in that department.....oh and the most important stat of all wins and we are pretty good in that field too.

Leave a comment:

• USMC_Davii
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastermind2002
    Our Pass defense is not better than our rank.
    Some stats to think about before making that judgement.

The Broncos had 613 pass attempts thrown on them this year, the Giants were second with 580.

The Broncos allowed only a 56.1% completion rate, fifth in the NFL.

They gave up yards, yes, but if we were run on nearly as much as teams HAD to pass on us, we wouldn't be nearly as good against the run.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X