X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean
    I think that we are being a little premature here. He is young enough to coach for another decade. I'm sure those years will have some weight in the eyes of the HOF committee.
    Allow me to qualify my opening post then. Yes I understand that Shanahan could coach for another decade but all things being equal if he continues to put winning teams on the field will he make it into the HoF?

Leave a comment:

• LoyalSoldier
    replied
    It is more than just wins.

In his time...

No coach has had more rushing yards than Mikey.

No coach has had more first quarter points than Mikey.

No coach has been able to only have one losing season in his time with a team after losing HOF players.

No coach has been able to keep their offense in such great condition.

No coach has been able to plug in runningbacks like Mikey has.

I don't think Mikey will have any trouble.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoWilly
    replied
    Yes

Shanny is the best coach in the NFL. He is young and will continue to do this for another 10 years. He is smarter than everyone in the league except for the coach who looks like the unibomber and has a parking pass to the New England games. What is his name? Bilicheck? Billic? Anyway he is smart too.

Leave a comment:

• broncolitis
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    I was just looking at Shanahan's record as head coach of the Broncos and thinking he really has had a great career so far as the head coach of the Broncos.

Seven of his 13 seasons he his teams have finished with double digit wins '05, '04, '03, '00, '98, '97 and '96. Six of those seasons he finished with 10 wins or more. Five of them with 11 or more, and four of those seasons he had 12 or more wins.

He's only had one losing season in '99 and only twice has he finished with a .500 record.

Do you think Shanahan will go to the HoF after he retires which may not be for quite awhile?
    100% yes!!! The guy has two or three superbowls including a back to back. His runningbacks always bust one thousand. If he isn't Hof mateiral I don't know who is!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    In the past, 100 wins warranted serious consideration. It is stillvery hard ot get 100 win in the NFL, because bad coaches tend not to stick around long enough to get 100 wins.

When you add in a total of 6 SB appearances, 2 as head coach, you have to say that yes, he would PROBABLY get in.

He has to retire first.

Assuming he coaches even another 5 seasons (although I think he could coach till he is 60, easily), at his current pace, he'd have about 160 wins.

That should DEFINIETLY be enough to get in. 150+ wins is very difficult to get. Especially in today's NFL where coaches last on average about 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Originally posted by SkyFlash1
    I really don't like the idea of nonplayers being inducted as that wastes slots for deserving players. I think if you want to put people in based on what they've done other than playing there should be a separate selection process and those people should be added as more of an honorable mention type entry that doesn't take from the player slots. I mean Al Davis is in there, WTF?
    But if you go this route, then you would set up these categories where you would HAVE to put someone in, because this kind of thing, like nature, abhors a vacuum. I think you need to limit the number of entries per year, and let ONLY the cream rise to the top. There are some outstanding players who have missed out, but for the VAST majority of honorees, I don't have any squawk with it. This needs to be a very elite group, who make it on their own merits without having to create a special category for anything. I wouldn't pull Lombardi, Shula, or any other coach out who is in there. They are there, and they deserve it, and someday, Shanny will be right there with'em.

Leave a comment:

• PR-Broncomaniac
    replied
    If he is not good enough than who is???
    He is the best coach in the NFL today and has the rings and wins to back that up.
    He had the best record for 3 seasons in the History of the NFL.
    He has revolutionized the West Coast Offense and has proved that his system can be successful through the test of time.
    He has taken good players and turned them into Great Players with his system.
    So, Why Not???!??!

He can be inducted into the HOF and it would be no surprise to me.

Leave a comment:

• SkyFlash1
    replied
    I really don't like the idea of nonplayers being inducted as that wastes slots for deserving players. I think if you want to put people in based on what they've done other than playing there should be a separate selection process and those people should be added as more of an honorable mention type entry that doesn't take from the player slots. I mean Al Davis is in there, WTF?

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by Elway
    If Shanny had his same numbers coaching a team like Dallas or NY we probably wouldn't even having this discussion.
    As a New Yorker as a youngster and someone who watches NY channels on TV and Met's games via satelite, I would have to agree. We often hear of East Coast bias, and it is really more of an north-east coast bias, but also a California bias. Basically California and the New York tristate area get most of the positive news coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Elway
    replied
    I'm with Rav on this one.... you have to look at Shanny's entire career not just the last 11 years with Denver.

You have to look at what he did when he was with Reeves here and what he
    also accomplished with the 49ers. We will just black out his tenure with the Raiders.

As for his 11 here in Denver he is 114-62. That averages to over 10 wins a season. We have made the playoffs 7 of the 11 years here. Not too shabby. The only active coaches who are his same range of Tenure with the same team is Bill Cower with the Steelers and Fisher with the Titans.

Cower has been to one Superbowl and lost a number of Championship games, while Shanny has won a number of Championship games and won multiple superbowls.

Vermeil who is retired again as a head coach 120-109 overall.

If Shanny had his same numbers coaching a team like Dallas or NY we probably wouldn't even having this discussion.

Leave a comment:

• jam1369
    replied
    He has the resume and should get in. The only knock on him is he coaches in Denver. There are a lot of Denver players who should be in the HOF but are not. Maybe in time some others will join Elway. But until that time the bias against Denver may work against him.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by tnedator
    I think if Shanahan had retired with Elway, he would have gone in. I think more and more has been written about how he can't win without Elway or Young, and has never drafted or developed a QB on his own. That is why I think it will take one more SB as a head coach. The press has spent the last five years bashing his every move and only using the mastermind name when they are doing it sarcastically.
    Yet. All he does is keep winning. Other than Gibbs, how many HoF coaches can you think of that didn't have a HoF QB play for their team? There have been teams that won Super Bowls without HoF'ers.... but the coaches didn't go. Why would it be any different for Shanahan?
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 01-02-2006, 12:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    Actually.... I disagree with most on here. So many are saying he needs ANOTHER SB win?? He's been the offensive coordinator or the head coach for 6 Super Bowls, and has won three. He has the most wins of ANY coach that has lost a HoF QB from his roster... and has taken his team to more playoffs than any coach that has lost a HoF QB (in the 7 years since losing Elway). He has one of the highest win totals, and one of the highest win percentages of ANY coach that has coached 10+ years in the NFL.

The ONLY reason Parcells has not been inducted into the HoF is because they don't know if he's going to retire or not. Everytime he's up for induction, he takes another job. They like to put people into the HoF AFTER they have retired for good. Gibbs is the first to come back after entering the HoF.

Shanahan definatly will go into the HoF. If he retired today... he would go into the HoF.
    I think if Shanahan had retired with Elway, he would have gone in. I think more and more has been written about how he can't win without Elway or Young, and has never drafted or developed a QB on his own. That is why I think it will take one more SB as a head coach. The press has spent the last five years bashing his every move and only using the mastermind name when they are doing it sarcastically.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Actually.... I disagree with most on here. So many are saying he needs ANOTHER SB win?? He's been the offensive coordinator or the head coach for 6 Super Bowls, and has won three. He has the most wins of ANY coach that has lost a HoF QB from his roster... and has taken his team to more playoffs than any coach that has lost a HoF QB (in the 7 years since losing Elway). He has one of the highest win totals, and one of the highest win percentages of ANY coach that has coached 10+ years in the NFL.

The ONLY reason Parcells has not been inducted into the HoF is because they don't know if he's going to retire or not. Everytime he's up for induction, he takes another job. They like to put people into the HoF AFTER they have retired for good. Gibbs is the first to come back after entering the HoF.

Shanahan definatly will go into the HoF. If he retired today... he would go into the HoF.

Leave a comment:

• Jaxyoup
    replied
    I think if Shanny coaches for another 10 plus years and continues his winning ways...racks up some more division titles, plenty more playoff appearances, and maybe another SB win, or even a few SB appearances...I could definitely see him in the HOF. But if he retired today...I just do not think he would make it. My hope is that Shanny continues to coach the Broncos to wins, to the playoffs, and to SBs for years to come!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X