Duke vs. Putzier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke vs. Putzier

Duke has delivered some key catches for the Broncos. Considering how Putzier seems to be a helmet magnet, who do you think should get the plays at the TE spot?

Speaking of helmet magnet, was there a fine for the helmet to helmet hit on Putzier? I'm a bit surprised that the officials didn't fine Lynch for that hit (nevermind that he was on the sidelines and on the same team).

Right now Putzier is better than Duke, but in the long run if Duke develops he will be ten times better than Putzier!

Comment

Two catches. Give Duke some time before we start this kind of thread. He has shown flashes of being a good TE, but just give him time to pan out,
      "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm thinking Duke could use some extra weight. But, the guy has done pretty well. It'd be cool if the whole game the networks had a picture-in-picture of the entire playing field, either viewed from the end-zone or from the roof in the dome stadiums. I'd like to see each player at their positions, instead of just following the ball. I wonder how Duke does in the plays where he's not receiving. Hell, I don't even know how many times the kid was on the field.

EDIT> Wait! Two picture-in-pictures: One of the entire field, the other of the cheerleaders.

Comment

Originally posted by jtomasik
          Duke has delivered some key catches for the Broncos. Considering how Putzier seems to be a helmet magnet, who do you think should get the plays at the TE spot?

Speaking of helmet magnet, was there a fine for the helmet to helmet hit on Putzier? I'm a bit surprised that the officials didn't fine Lynch for that hit (nevermind that he was on the sidelines and on the same team).
          Duke has made all of two catches that imo doesn't mean he's ready to play more than Putzier. I mean no disrespect to you but this is a non issue.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            Duke has made all of two catches that imo doesn't mean he's ready to play more than Putzier. I mean no disrespect to you but this is a non issue.
            Yeah. How much play time has he seen? I'm just wondering if they should use him more.

Comment

Originally posted by jtomasik
              Yeah. How much play time has he seen? I'm just wondering if they should use him more.
              I suppose Shanny could in certain situations but I don't think he would want Duke out there with a playoff game on the line.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind2002
                Right now Putzier is better than Duke, but in the long run if Duke develops he will be ten times better than Putzier!
                Agreed Right now Jeb deserves all the credit becuase hes come through for us and has been very dependable. But in time I believe that Wesley will be an honorable pro bowler, the more reps we give him now the better!

Comment

I like what Shanahan has been doing.

He's kept his typical rotation of Putz and Alexander and has gradually started to incorporate Duke in small doses.

He hasn't given Duke more than he could handle, and he hasn't put him in any positions where he would be more prone to make a costly mistake and set back his confidence.

After not playing competitive football since high school, you must be very careful how you work him back into things so that early mistakes don't derail his confidence or keep his potential from developing.

Duke has a lot of potential, but I continue to like what I've been seeing from Putzier and hope that it continues. I think Shanny's had a specific plan with this one and I like the way he has been executing it thus far.

Comment

I don't get how people can compare Duke with Putz.
                    So what duke caught one touchdown pass? Team take players like Warren Sapp and have them catch TD passes. The catch in the Chargers game was a bit more impressive, but what people are easily forgetting, is the Putz makes clutch catches like that all the time. Remember during that stretch at the end of last year when Putz was the only reliable receiver? During the Colts game when he was the only one who could get open?

I think everyone here is all wannabe Gates-crazy, that they forget Putz and Stephen Alexander. If Duke had made that one handed catch that Alexander made in the Philly game, then a mob would be outside of Invesco right now demanding Duke starts.
                    sigpic

"Sauced."- Broshown Broenbro

Comment

Jeb is a good player. Let's not forget the Jets tried to sign him to a fairly big contract that the Broncos matched.

He is big and fast for his size. He can get open downfield. The knock on him seems to be his blocking, but then again it was the knock on Sharpe for most of his career.

Right now there is no comparison, Jake can help us get to the SB.

I like the idea of Duke, and I love seeing a number 84 out there at tight end. I hope that Duke turns into the next Gates or Gonzalez, but until that happens, Putz is a pretty good tight end.
                      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Even if Duke were proven as a receiver . . . . which he categorically is not a this point . . . . much more is involved in the TE position than receiving. In fact, blocking may be more important, especially in this run-oriented offense. We have one TE who is really proficient in blocking, which is why that one TE is starting and the others are not. According to the Denver Broncos, Duke has 225 lbs. stretched over a 6' 6" frame, which means a 270+ lb DE/LB would simply throw him at the quarterback. I can't help but to think at this point that Putz is a far superior blocker to Duke (not to mention being proven as a receiver), yet not even Putz is starting. I know Duke's athleticism has to be intriguing the coaching staff, and that is why they have had him in there on spot duty. However, Duke has a long, loooooooooooooooong way to go before he can instill any confidence in the coaching staff.

It won't be this year.

-----

Comment

Putz is an awesome TE and Duke has the potential (and will be) awesome at the position in a year or so. It is hard to compare the two because of the differences in their experience. Duke (with the time he has been given) has proven himself to be worthy of high expectations. For the record, he weighs about 245-250 and is 6'5 with about a 42 inch vertical. He's no small guy that can easily be pushed around. Just give the guy time to develop and time will tell (in his favor, I'm sure).

Comment

We matced the Jets offer to keep Putz, so he will be around and playing.

As for whose better or who should be on the field? Putz, hands down.

He knows the system better, and has experience. I'm not looking past Duke, I'll want him on the field if he can keep making plays.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfan84
                              Putz is an awesome TE and Duke has the potential (and will be) awesome at the position in a year or so. It is hard to compare the two because of the differences in their experience. Duke (with the time he has been given) has proven himself to be worthy of high expectations. For the record, he weighs about 245-250 and is 6'5 with about a 42 inch vertical. He's no small guy that can easily be pushed around. Just give the guy time to develop and time will tell (in his favor, I'm sure).
                              You may be right about Duke's weight, the Bronco stats notwithstanding. For instance, this chart has Duke at 245 lbs. That may sound like a lot to someone who is, say, six feet tall. However, I am 6' 5 1/2" myself, so I know that 245 lbs. is not a lot of weight stretched over that frame, unless the player is a wide receiver. Duke is not a wide receiver. At 6' 4", Putz hovers around 260 lbs., for instance.

But weight isn't everything, of course. Sharpe was about 230 lbs. ringing wet, yet his fire went up during the two Super Bowl years, and he became a credible blocker. Still, many factors are involved in blocking, and Duke has yet to prove he can put them all together. We'll see.

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X