Confirmed: Kubiak to be interviewed for Houston job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what was on SI.com

"DENVER (AP) -- Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak will be interviewed by Texans owner Bob McNair later this week about replacing Dom Capers.

Denver coach Mike Shanahan said McNair contacted him Monday and planned a trip to Denver later this week. The Broncos have a bye week. NFL rules allow assistants of playoff teams in their bye week to be interviewed once by teams looking for coaches.

Shanahan also said he has received preliminary contact from another team he did not want to identify until they make an official request to talk to Kubiak.

Kubiak has been Shanahan's offensive coordinator since 1995 and has overseen one of the most productive offenses in the league. He was a prime head-coaching candidate when the Broncos won their two Super Bowls, in 1997 and '98, although his name hasn't come up as much recently.

He's hot again, though, thanks to Denver's 13-3 record and an offense ranked fifth in the NFL.

So far, there are openings in Houston, Minnesota, New Orleans, Green Bay and St. Louis.

"If they're smart, he'll get one of those jobs," Shanahan said. "I'm just hoping they're not smart enough to hire him."

Kubiak was not immediately available for comment."

Comment

Originally posted by antd700
      Why? Is the 5th ranked offence two years in a row not good enough for you?
      Because I think Shanahan runs a great amount of the show and Kubiak is there as someone he can share ideas with. I would be interested in seeing how the offense would do with a new person sharing new ideas with Shanahan. Perhaps with the right guy this offense could get even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind2002
        YES!!! Great News!
        I see it as a double edged sworded. On the one hand I'm happy that Kubiak is being considered for the job, on the other hand I would hate to lose him.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by danj
          To everybody who wants Kubiak gone, remember that getting rid of people doesn't improve your team. Only getting better personnel would do that. So instead of saying get rid of Kubiak, why don't you give some names as to who would improve the team if he was to go.
          Well, depending on who the Chiefs hire, if Al Sanders is let go I would like to have him in Denver. Steve Mariucci, Mike Martz, Mike Sherman are some other names out there we could look at. I would lean toward Martz because of how creative he is with offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            I see it as a double edged sworded. On the one hand I'm happy that Kubiak is being considered for the job, on the other hand I would hate to lose him.
            I agree 100%....Kube has put in 20+ years with this team as a player and coach, and deserves a shot.

On the other hand, if he leaves which assistants will he take with him? Will Bobby Turner be the next offensive coordinator for the Texans?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
              Kubiak seriously needs to move on. I'm not really concerned with losing him because we do have a guy named Shanahan.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
                I agree 100%....Kube has put in 20+ years with this team as a player and coach, and deserves a shot.

On the other hand, if he leaves which assistants will he take with him? Will Bobby Turner be the next offensive coordinator for the Texans?
                Losing Bobby Turner would hurt more than losing Kubiak.

Comment

I think eventually all great assistants must move on or they run the risk of becoming forgotten. We've had a genius of an offensive coordinator for so many years. He'll be hard to replace, but for the sake of his career it's time for Kubiak to get a head coaching job. No one desrerves it more.

Comment

Hope he's successful for years to come, I hope the best for him. I also want to see who is going to replace him. Man, oh man, if we don't get the right guy for this job, we could be in trouble.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                      . Man, oh man, if we don't get the right guy for this job, we could be in trouble.
                      Why would we be in trouble? We do have Mike Shanahan do we not?

Shanahan = Master
                      Kubiak = Student

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                        Hope he's successful for years to come, I hope the best for him. I also want to see who is going to replace him. Man, oh man, if we don't get the right guy for this job, we could be in trouble.

I say they promote Bobby Turner, if he is interested. He's earned it.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                        You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind2002
                          Why would we be in trouble? We do have Mike Shanahan do we not?

Shanahan = Master
                          Kubiak = Student
                          As a Bronco fan I would hate to see Kubiak move on, because no matter what percent of the success is him versus Shanahan, it will be a change and disruption for the team.

As a guy that saw Kubiak be Elways backup for something like eight or nine years and only get into a handful of games (gotta suck being backup QB to an iron man) and now essentially being the backup to Shanahan, I think he deserves a chance to start. I hope he gets the Texas job, since I know that is what he wanted when the franchise started up.

Since the offense is really Shanahans, I think that Shanny will promote from within, or bring someone in and teach them the offense the way he wants it, like I believe Walsh did with him in San Fran.
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I hope he goes to Houston. We can then trade our 2 first round picks a 3rd and Tatum Bell to Houston for the 1st pick.

Comment

Originally posted by C Fizzle
                              I hope he goes to Houston. We can then trade our 2 first round picks a 3rd and Tatum Bell to Houston for the 1st pick.
                              Sounds good, but it might actually take more than that with the infatuation people have with Bush. There also seems to be some question about what position he would play, whether he has the size/build to be an every down back. I would love to see him in Denver though.
                              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Adam Scheffter talking on NFL Total Access (NFL Network) just said that Houston is looking at three candidates, but that Kubiak is the front runner. He said that Detroit and KC were also very interested in Kubiak.

He also said that Minnesotta is interested in Rick Smith (director of pro personnel), who he says is a very bright mind in this business.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X