need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

What is the drop kick that they are talking about??? Happened in the patriots game
    BRONCOS

Originally posted by Shady980
    What is the drop kick that they are talking about??? Happened in the patriots game
    you drop the ball on the ground....it has to bounce first....then you kick it....you can do it for extra points and field goals (not sure about fg's)....

its hard to do.....and hasnt been done since like the 40's or something

flutie did it yesterday
    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
    -The best in the business-

Comment

It's very similar to a punt in that the ball is snapped directly to the kicker, rather than a holder. However when the kicker releases the ball, it has to actually bounce before he kicks it.

It's a very common kick in rugby, but hasn't been used in the NFL since 1941, due to the ball becoming narrower to aid the passing game, it doesn't bounce as truly as the older balls or a rubgy ball.
      The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
      BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
      You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Yup, he sure did. Congrats to him.

Another "old timer" that was a beast at drop kicking was Jim Thorpe. An all around athlete.

Comment

It's an old rule. You can kick an extra point by snapping it to a kicker or QB in this case, then you drop the ball like you are going to punt, BUT you cannot kick it until it hits the ground or bounces up off the ground. Apparently in the 40's they changed the shape of the ball and made it more pointy at each end, and therefore made the drop kick less predictable when it came to the bounce off the ground.

There was also a rule change that said you had to be behind the line when executing the drop kick. I don't know why that is, maybe people running with the ball would execute a drop kick field goal while running? Not sure.
          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
            There was also a rule change that said you had to be behind the line when executing the drop kick. I don't know why that is, maybe people running with the ball would execute a drop kick field goal while running? Not sure.
            I don't see any reason why a player running couldn't kick it, that's fairly common in rugby. The only problem for the kicker, as you said is the unpredicable bounce due to the shape of the ball.

History of The Dropkick
            Last edited by Den21-Bal19; 01-02-2006, 04:44 PM. Reason: Added link
            The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
            BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
            You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco16
              Yup, he sure did. Congrats to him.

Another "old timer" that was a beast at drop kicking was Jim Thorpe. An all around athlete.
              Man I didn't think that someone would beat me to it. Jim Thorpe was good at the drop kick. One of the best athletes of all time.
              RIP Darrent Williams
              You know the difference between winners and losers?

Ya the score.

THE REPLACEMENTS

Comment

Some where John Elway is jealous...I've heard him say a couple of times he always wanted to try a drop kick...I know he practiced it just a Flutie has, but never got the chance.

Belichick took some heat for it, but seeing how excited Flutie was, I think it was great that the coach gave him a chance.

Comment

This will give some more detail and the history of the drop kick. The Drop Kick
                  The last time it was tried, before Flutie did it Sunday, was over 60 years ago.
                  The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                    I don't see any reason why a player running couldn't kick it, that's fairly common in rugby. The only problem for the kicker, as you said is the unpredicable bounce due to the shape of the ball.

History of The Dropkick
                    Jonny Wilkinson did a drop goal to win the Rugby World Cup for England.

They're huge for tied games!
                    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Working...
                    X