Drop Kick Field Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Kick Field Goal

Even a mod doesn't know where to post something like this sometimes....

But I was wondering about Flutie's drop-kick extra point....can a field goal legally be dropped kicked as well?

I found this link but didn't find anything on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal#Drop_Kick

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Originally posted by AsianOrange
    Even a mod doesn't know where to post something like this sometimes....

But I was wondering about Flutie's drop-kick extra point....can a field goal legally be dropped kicked as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal#Drop_Kick
    Yeah it can AO. I believe the longest drop-kicked field goal was around 50 yards.
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange

Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by RBDynasty
        Yeah it can AO. I believe the longest drop-kicked field goal was around 50 yards.
        It blew my mind when I saw the recap on it....i thought I dremt it.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
        2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

as long as we're on the subject just thought I'd mention that this was the first successful drop-kick since 1941!!!
          Long live the Broncos
          Member of lagpa.

Thanks Reid!
          My adopt-a-bronco!!! I used to be very proud now that has all changed. Now I am perfect!
          John 3:16 for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever beleiveth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

The closest I could find to an 'official' ruling was the Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Believe it or not, the dropkick remains a legal maneuver in the National Football League today. It still exists in the NFL's official rule book. Rule 3, Section 8 defines the dropkick as, "a kick by a kicker who drops the ball and kicks it as, or immediately after, it touches the ground."
            The article doesn't differenciate between a PAT & a FG.

The Dropkick

I couldn't find ANY definition of a 'scoring' kick in the official definitions, the only defined kicks being:

Free Kick: A kickoff or safety kick. It may be a placekick, dropkick, or punt, except a punt may not be used on a kickoff following a touchdown, successful field goal, or to begin each half or overtime period. A tee cannot be used on a fair-catch or safety kick.
            Punt: A kick made when a player drops the ball and kicks it while it is in flight.
            The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
            BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
            You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

a Drop kick is the exact same thing as a FG. If its after a TD, it counts as one point, if it is any other time, its the regular 3 points.

The ball just has to hit the ground first.

There is just no advantage to doing the Drop-kick as its so inconsistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                a Drop kick is the exact same thing as a FG. If its after a TD, it counts as one point, if it is any other time, its the regular 3 points.

Which makes me wonder why they even tried it in the first place. History I guess but it could have easily been missed. What a way for Flutie to go out though. Not on a pass but on an extra point...........

Comment

on the drop kick tho, it was obvious that the PAts were playing to lose. Not just resting players, but a FG there instead of a drop kick the score would have been tied.

Pats played so they could play the Jags, good move.

Comment

Yes, you can drop-kick a field goal...but it would be very, very hard.

When players used to drop kick, the ball was a lot more round, and they dropped it, let it bounce on the ground, then kicked it.

Nowadays, it'd be a lot more difficult
                    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ludo
                      on the drop kick tho, it was obvious that the PAts were playing to lose. Not just resting players, but a FG there instead of a drop kick the score would have been tied.

Huh? That doesn't make sense. You can't kick a field goal after scoring a TD. The drop kick was a PAT that came after the Pats had scored.
                      The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by ludo

While you may be correct on your assumption that the Pats were playing for the 4th seed... a FG was not an option at that point since it was the point after attempt. To follow your logic, they would have kicked the field goal instead of scoring the TD in the first place.

... and we'll likely end up playing the Pats as Pitt will most certainly beat Cinci.

Comment

As far as i know the drop kick dates back to footballs origin when it was spawened out of rugbyy....the drop kick is one of the most commen things in rugby today,,it goes back to when the football looked more like a rugby ball/
                          SPORT IS LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY,...IF YOU DONT FOCUS,YOU JUST GET NEGATIVES

Born-1990
                          Got ipod- 2004

Oh! this one time i saw a blimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

It doesn't have to hit the ground first. You can kick the ball at the same moment it touches the ground or immediately after.
                            Where does the abuse of end? Where?

Comment

It was nice to do. Especially since he is at the end of his career. He has something esle to bragg about doing. Hasn't been done in over 64 years.
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X