Will Rod Smith be HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Rod Smith be HOF

Considering the stats that rod has do you think he will be hall of fame?

i know this probably wont be his last year but if it was i think he would make it in.

so your thoughts please.
    SPORT IS LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY,...IF YOU DONT FOCUS,YOU JUST GET NEGATIVES

Born-1990
    Got ipod- 2004

Oh! this one time i saw a blimp!

So much of it is timing - if he's eligible at the same time as a bunch of other players he'll probably have to wait awhile or may get shut out entirely. If he comes up when there aren't a lot of new eligibles then he should get in quicker. Personally, I'm betting that he eventually makes it but I think we're going to have a lot of years where he just misses first.

Comment

I'm not sure, for a number of reasons.

Denver aren't one of the media's darlings...........amd it isn't just in the states, but there's next to nothing mentioned about the Broncos on terrestrial TV over here, except when they're playing.

Secondly, whilst Rod has set incredible figures for Denver, as WR's go I honestly don't think he'd put up the eye catching numbers that other guys, such as Harrison have. The fact that he was undrafted may also hinder him, although that, IMO, should make his accomplishments even greater.

Personally, I'd love to see Rod get the recognition everybody here knows he deserves, but I get the feeling it may not happen.
      The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
      BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
      You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Problem is, he's never really been considered one of the dominant WRs of his time. There were always loads of other guys Joe Public would choose as their #1 receiver over him - Owens, Moss, Rice, Brown, Harrison - which could come back to haunt him come HoF time. Even if he is the most succesful undrafted player ever.

Comment

Did you guys see him in his prime? Sure he wasn't the fastest or the biggest but he always made the tough catches. He is still considered the most polished route runner in the NFL add in the superbowls and the fact he is the most successful non-drafted receiver in the game. He'll go in first time.
          "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

It comes down to this:

Smith has two ways of making the Hall of Fame.

1) Another 80 catch/1,000 yard season and 1-2 more productive seasons with at least 500 yards.

2) Smith and the Broncos win another Super Bowl.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
              It comes down to this:

Smith has two ways of making the Hall of Fame.

1) Another 80 catch/1,000 yard season and 1-2 more productive seasons with at least 500 yards.

2) Smith and the Broncos win another Super Bowl.
              Preferably both!
              Thanks, Reid!
              sigpic
              Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                Did you guys see him in his prime? Sure he wasn't the fastest or the biggest but he always made the tough catches. He is still considered the most polished route runner in the NFL add in the superbowls and the fact he is the most successful non-drafted receiver in the game. He'll go in first time.
                Now, see, everytime I read "most polished route runner in the NFL" I see it attached to Marvin Harrison, not Rod Smith.

Comment

I think Harrison is the bigger deep threat over Rod in comparison. But Rod runs his plays so much more consistantly. And as much as I like Jake, the simple fact is, he isn't Manning which in turn works in Harrisons favour.
                  "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                  Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Mobile quarterbacks usually open up the running game and as a result, receiver numbers aren't as high (typically). Smith and McCaffery had amazing seasons with Brian Griese here, but we didn't win anything.

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                      I think Harrison is the bigger deep threat over Rod in comparison. But Rod runs his plays so much more consistantly. And as much as I like Jake, the simple fact is, he isn't Manning which in turn works in Harrisons favour.
                      Another difference is that Smith doesn't complain over how much he gets the ball.

Comment

A problems with Rod Smith being a HoF'r is that there arre other WRRs that are not in it as well like Art Monk and Andre Reed....Micahel irvin...

The list is pretty extensive.

If Rod goes in, it won't be first ballot.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                        2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Rod Smith is the MOST PROLIFIC non-drafted WR in the HISTORY of the NFL. That DOES hold water. The fact that he wasn't drafted won't hurt him, it will HELP him. When Rod Smith was in his prime... he WAS considered one of the TOP WRs in the game. He's won two Super Bowls. He's never been in trouble. Rod Smith WILL go to the HoF.

Comment

Well, being a Bronco fan, I obviously think he should get in, but whether he does or not will depend on a lot of things. However, Rod Smith...

--has over 10,000 yds recieving, only 5 players currently in the HoF have done that. I believe I read that he was something like 15th overall.

--has 9 seasons of 50+ receptions during the regular season, tying him for at least 4th on the all time list (Shannon Sharpe has 11 and is tied for 3rd).

--has eight 1,000+ yds seasons which ties him with Steve Largent (whose in the HoF), Cris Carter (who will be in the HoF) for third.

--pretty much owns every single Denver team record a reciever can get.

When you factor in the fact that he's spent most of his career on a team which generally (but not always) has a run-first mentality, that's not too shabby. He's also been a big part of two SuperBowl Championships. Plus - as others have pointed out - he wasn't even drafted, so he has a sort of blue-collaredness to him... I don't know if that would persuade voters all that much, but I doubt it will hurt.

On the negative side, he doesn't have a huge amount of TD receptions (probably due to the whole run-first mentality) in comparision with a lot of the greats. I don't know if it's enough to keep him out of the HoF, but it could.

Personally, I think his stats are enough to get him in, but since he doesn't play for a team that gets tons of media coverage or throws the ball 40-50 times a game he probably won't get in the first or second time his name comes up. Hopefully, he'll get in eventually.

Comment

As much as I love Rod, He will not get in.. I base that only on the people who have currently made it as WideReceiver. A small handful of Candidates only make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X