Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake, if you get a moment, please read this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake, if you get a moment, please read this...

As I sit here this week, I'm home from work because I played too much football in college. You see, I am home because of back surgery, this, my second of many back surgeries to come because I have four herniated discs in my lower back. It’s funny because the last time I sat at home on the sofa after a back surgery was January of 1998. It was my freshman year of college, and I had surgery to try and repair the first problem disc in my back.

I remember sitting home watching as much Sportscenter as I could and I remember specifically how my beloved Broncos got bashed over and over and were given no chance to win it all. John Elway was never going to win the big one, the Broncos had no chance to get through the playoffs, and we Broncos fans were going to have to sit through another painful playoff season. We had lost to the Jags the previous year, the Chiefs would always have our number, there was no way to get through the Steelers and the way the analysts talked, the Packers should have made the Superbowl another 55-10 embarrassment.

Now presently, I sit on my sofa 8 years later and I have to keep listening to analysts say that the Broncos can't win. We can't be the Pats DB's, we will have a tough time running on their D, and Jake Plummer can't win in the playoffs, can't win the big one. This all sounds funny to me and oh so familiar.

As I sit here in pain, the stitches in my lower back are sore, and I'm having a tough time getting off the sofa, I still find something to laugh about. You see, everyone has always said that Jake would forever be compared to John, and he would never live up to his shadow of success. I find it funny that like John, Jake isn't being given any respect and Jake's Broncos have no chance to get to the Superbowl. We'll I'd like to be the first to congratulate you, Jake Plummer, because you are officially a Denver Broncos quarterback. You will never be given a chance, you will always be the underdog, and you will never be good enough. For once, Jake Plummer is good enough to be compared to John Elway and in this sense, they are absolutely right.

At the end of the Broncos first Superbowl win, when John Mobley knocked down that pass from Brett Favre, I jumped off the sofa and pulled two stitches out of my back, and I didn't mind at all. That was one of the happiest days of my life and I felt as if I won the Superbowl that day. Now, its 2006, the Broncos have a great team, a solid D, and exciting O, and a great QB...and no chance to win. It’s just the way I like it...

So Jake, I just want to ask one thing of you...I'd really appreciate it, if at the end of the month, you could cause a few stitches to pop out of my back again. You will always be compared to Elway, this time those comparisons are right, and I think its time for you to write your own ending...good luck...

Wonderful, wonderful post NJ. I'm from Denver, but I did my undergraduate work in Boston, so I have TONS of Patriots fan friends. They've told me all week about how Belichick will stop our running game, how we can't beat Tom Brady, how Plummer can't lead this team to victory. . . BULL. I would like NOTHING more than to have all of this thrown back in their faces.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, NJ. I hope Jake helps you along. :-)

Thanks to SNK16 for the AWESOME sig!!!

Comment

Great Post!

And here is to Jake popping out a few (or all) of your stitches over the next few weeks!

Comment

Um, I appreciate your sentiment and all, but methinks you've gone a bit too far here. I hope Jake has a great game, as he is definitely capable, but Elway is in a class of VERY few peers, and no superiors. Let Jake have some timely runs, great rollouts, hit some clutch passes, a few long ones, and run the crap out of the ball. That's how we'll win.

Comment

As a fellow back surgery recipient (double discotomy with fusion and pedical screws), I do know exactly what you are going through.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery to you.

I have a feeling Jake and the Broncos will do just fine.

"I am the eggman... HOO... I am the Walrus... Koo Koo Ka Choo" - Jay Cutler

Comment

I know Jake can lead the Broncos to a SuperBowl win.

Here is to you having a speedy recovery BFNJ.

Get excited but don't cause any stitches to come loose.
            Emancipate your mind!
            The People's Poster

Comment

um. i think you should stop playing football if you keep screwing up your back. i hope you're right about jake.
              i'm going to do something i've never done at playoffs. going to tape record every broncos game cuz i don't know which one will be our last. and if we win the superbowl, i will have 3 happy playoff memories to watch over and over again during summer break

Comment

Just curious BroncoFannin NJ, they gave me stitches that dissolved over time (like 3 or 4 weeks). Those tingle like crazy; but better than having stitches removed like somebody is crocheting your back.

Did you get the standard stitches or dissolving stitches?

"I am the eggman... HOO... I am the Walrus... Koo Koo Ka Choo" - Jay Cutler

Comment

GREAT post!!

I think this comparison of Plummer to Elway is based on only the fact that John was labeled a loser, a bum, a brat, a choke artist, and a liability to the Broncos. I will quote such comments I personally heard from the 'experts'...

Howie Long-"The Denver Broncos will never win a Super Bowl if John Elway is still their QB."

Terry Bradshaw-"He's not a great QB, a good one. To reach greatness, you have to reach the pinnacle of greatness, and John Elway can't do that, and will never do that."

Joe Theissman-"John Elway can do everything great except win the games that matter themost."

This is the only comparison. Jake is bashed and fried ROUTINELY. The latest one from Sterling Sharpe I heard on the 12/24 game:

"Jake is a below average pocket passer..."

WHAT A MORON!!! How many starting NFL QB's are below average pocket passers? If he was below average at anything, he'd not be weraing a Broncos uniform, or any other for that matter. Idiot... His 'epiphany' is thanks to Shanahan, as his moves cannot be questioned anymore. Jake has wowed me this year with his newfound play and certainly exceeded my expectations. Jake's coming out party will be Sat. when he leads the Broncos to victory against the 'mighty' Pats...
                  "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million."-Shannon Sharpe

Comment

Keep the Faith

Nice letter, hope you feel better real soon.

Comment

Hey, first off...thanks for all the "get wells," I really appreciate them. I think that BronxBroncsFan read me right with the comparisons. Elway was always good QB, never great, until he won the big one...Jake is dealing with the same thing. I think that in this sense, the comparisons between the two are correct. Anyway, I just wanted to post my opinion. My back is sore, and since I have real stitches, I've got to go back the the doctors in a few weeks to get them out. Anyway, thanks for the positive comments...I'll be resting up for Saturday...

Comment

Very nice post.

I too cant believe how short peoples memories are, I remember hearing the same things about John until he actually won a SB.

Most fans probably didnt rgister these comments at the time since they saw John for who he really is, one of the best ever.

I really believe that when Jake takes us to the SB and wins, the same will be said about him as well.
                        "We the unwilling, led by the unqualified, have been doing so much for so long with so little, will now attempt the impossible with nothing"

Comment

That my friend is a great post. I feel pretty good about this game and the Broncos chances of coming away with a win. I'll I have to say about the stitches...better you than me because I have a hard time sitting still in the regular season, with the playoffs, forget about it.
                          Thanks SNK16, you the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Sts_Angel78
                            I have a hard time sitting still in the regular season, with the playoffs, forget about it.
                            I absolutely agree about the not sitting still during the game - I pace incessantly during the game around the dining table - clockwise when we are on offense, counterclockwise when we are on defense. Superstituous? Obviously... I actually was going the wrong direction when Eli manning threw the winning pass in the final seconds against us this year... so, I blame myself for that loss (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

As for BFNJ's back - best wishes for a quick recovery. I went through a microdiskectomy for the L5-S1, but thankfully never during the football season (would interfere with my pacing!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by tag
                              I absolutely agree about the not sitting still during the game - I pace incessantly during the game around the dining table - clockwise when we are on offense, counterclockwise when we are on defense. Superstituous? Obviously... I actually was going the wrong direction when Eli manning threw the winning pass in the final seconds against us this year... so, I blame myself for that loss (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

As for BFNJ's back - best wishes for a quick recovery. I went through a microdiskectomy for the L5-S1, but thankfully never during the football season (would interfere with my pacing!!!)
                              Thanks for the wishes, they are very much appreciated...my pacing abilities are going to be severely compromised this weekend. I'm counting on all you fellow Broncos fans to do some extra pacing to cover for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X