Bigger loss than Kubiak? This one could hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger loss than Kubiak? This one could hurt

I've already posted about how much I appreciate and respect Gary Kubiak. I will be rooting for him with the Texans when it doesn't affect the Broncos and it will surely be a loss for the Broncos, but one that should be softened by Shanahan's abilities with the offense.

But....Adam Schefter has reported that it could be likely that once Kubes is named the Houston head coach, he'll take close friend and offensive line coach Rick Dennison with him. That would be a HUGE loss for the Broncos' running game.

Bobby Turner and Shanny have a great effect on the running game and o-line, but Dennison learned under Alex Gibbs for quite a while and helped ease the loss of Gibbs so that the zone blocking scheme would not miss a beat. I do not know, or have not heard that we have had someone being tutored to step up into this role.

Losing Alex Gibbs was one thing, because Rick Dennison was ready to take over. But to lose Dennison now while losing Kubiak could be a big blow to our biggest consistency on offense, ESPECIALLY because we may be set to have A LOT of offensive line changes this year pending the decisions on Nalen and Lepsis.

This situation bears close watching, hopefully Shanny has already foreseen this event and has something prepared to continue our o-line's success.

Here's a link, scroll to the bottom for this part of the story.
    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9159255

is he going to make Dennison the OC?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
      is he going to make Dennison the OC?
      That's what they're saying. It will be very interesting to see what Shanny does with the OC and o-line jobs if this happens. Either way, it says that Kubes and Dennison are VERY close friends.

Bobby Turner may be lifted to OC, and Shanahan is very good friends with former college buddy Mike Heimerdinger.

I'm not as much worried about our ability to get a good OC in here as I am about losing Dennison on the o-line. It's easier to find an OC familiar with the west coast offense who can work WITH Shanahan than it is to find an o-line coach capable of EFFECTIVELY progressing the zone blocking scheme and building it into the younger players.

If Dennison leaves with Kubes, it could make for some big changes and ripple effects because of the salary cap and Lepsis and Nalen.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
        I've already posted about how much I appreciate and respect Gary Kubiak. I will be rooting for him with the Texans when it doesn't affect the Broncos and it will surely be a loss for the Broncos, but one that should be softened by Shanahan's abilities with the offense.

But....Adam Schefter has reported that it could be likely that once Kubes is named the Houston head coach, he'll take close friend and offensive line coach Rick Dennison with him. That would be a HUGE loss for the Broncos' running game.

Bobby Turner and Shanny have a great effect on the running game and o-line, but Dennison learned under Alex Gibbs for quite a while and helped ease the loss of Gibbs so that the zone blocking scheme would not miss a beat. I do not know, or have not heard that we have had someone being tutored to step up into this role.

Losing Alex Gibbs was one thing, because Rick Dennison was ready to take over. But to lose Dennison now while losing Kubiak could be a big blow to our biggest consistency on offense, ESPECIALLY because we may be set to have A LOT of offensive line changes this year pending the decisions on Nalen and Lepsis.

This situation bears close watching, hopefully Shanny has already foreseen this event and has something prepared to continue our o-line's success.

Here's a link, scroll to the bottom for this part of the story.
        http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9159255
        That is really, really bad

That could potentially screw up our team completely....isn't dennison the reason for our dominant running gmae?
        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Is Dennison's contract up?

From what I understand, if he is under contract, Denver is not obligated to Kubiak take people with him

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
            Is Dennison's contract up?

From what I understand, if he is under contract, Denver is not obligated to Kubiak take people with him
            Kubiak can take him with him if Dennison is given a promotion (such as OC).

Personally, I think Kubiak would be making his first mistake as the new head coach if he picks Dennison as an OC. Dennison is no OC.
            sigpic

Comment

The Broncos organization has had plans for years if Kubiak were to leave. Of course it is going to shake things up, but it won't be disasterous. When Gibbs left everybody thought the same thing. Shanny has implemented a system that he has structured and he will fill the missing pieces. He will fill in the OC and line coach positions with someone he likes and feels confident with.

For crying out loud we can throw anybody with a pulse in the back field and they will get a 1000+ yards. If we can change the personnel on the field and not skip a beat, we can also do it with coaches as long as Shanny and the system stay together. Change is inevitable and everybody must adjust. New opportunities arise for others to step up and make an impact. The people replacing Kubiak and Dennison, if he leaves, might be even better and can bring in new and fresh ideas. Hopefully everybody will benefit with the changes.
              The three Keys to football
              1. Turnovers
              2. Field Position
              3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Hmmmm...I wonder what Alex Gibbs is up to these days? Ready for a third go-around?

Comment

There's always a guy waiting in the wings. It's not like Dennison is the only guy who knows how to run a zone-blocking scheme. This is a little overblown IMO.

Comment

I don't believe the Kubiak loss will be felt too much, but remember back to the first time that Alex Gibbs left for "retirement" and Dennison took over.

Our running game and o-line scheme regressed briefly, because Dennison was not ready to implement the scheme on his own. Eventually, Alex Gibbs came back to the Broncos and was "partially retired," and eventually came back pretty much full time.

Once back full time, Dennison went through much more tutoring under Gibbs and became ready to take over full time, and Gibbs decided he wasn't ready to retire after all so he moved on to Atlanta.

Please don't mistake my concern for worry, things will be fine even if there is a big overhaul. But, I do think there is reason to be concerned seeing that the only time our running game and the o-line has taken a dip in the last 10 years was when we lost our o-line coach too early, before the next candidate was fully ready.

This team, without much star power or many playmakers, will take a couple steps back if you remove the "system"'s biggest cog. The Broncos relied heavily on the "system" and will have to be very dilligent to make sure the same dip does not happen.

I really believe we could be in for a very interesting offseason that might bear more changes than we now realize. If so, so be it, change can be fun in its own way, a struggle in others.

It will be interesting to see how Shanny responds to such changes, and how "willing" he is to help out Kubiak as he leaves. Shanny can play hardball if he wants to, I just don't see him doing that.

And I do agree with a poster above, I can't remember who, that suggested that Dennison is NOT an OC. I agree that he would struggle in that role, and might not be as much help as Kubiak would hope.

It is very feasible that the offense next season loses: Kubiak (Texans), Dennison (Texans), Matt Lepsis (FA), and Tom Nalen (Retire/FA). This is 4 big pieces from the foundation of our team, it will definitely be an interesting offseason, but at least we should have a couple more weeks before that starts.

Comment

I really hope that we pick up that Mike Heimerdinger or whatever his name is. A guy that used to work with Shanny during his 49er days.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                        Kubiak can take him with him if Dennison is given a promotion (such as OC).

Personally, I think Kubiak would be making his first mistake as the new head coach if he picks Dennison as an OC. Dennison is no OC.

I don't see how you can say that until we see what he does as an OC.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          I don't see how you can say that until we see what he does as an OC.
                          It's an OPINION, that's all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                            It's an OPINION, that's all.
                            Ah mtnman I uderstood your ealier post and my previous post was also an OPINION.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Id prefer we don't lose Dennison. This situation bears watching.
                              You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Working...
                              X