Call on Champ's INT return....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
    I believe that it should have been a touchback. But I can't be positive, so don't flame me. Here's my rationale:

So here's the situation. Bailey is about 8-12 inches in front of the goal line. The ball is about 18 inches (from my best guess), from the sideline. At the angle he is hit, the ball flies in a forward/left diagonal direction. Considering that the ball was closer to the goal line than the sideline, and that the ball came out at almost a 45 degree angle, I find it hard to believe that the ball did not break the plane of the goal line. So even though the video makes it impossible to see by the naked eye, I think basic geometry provides the answer. Keep in mind, I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but logic tells me that I'm right. If someone can prove me wrong, I'd be more than happy to flush my theory away.

I'm kind of all-over-the-place with this explanation but I hope you understand it.
    Meaning no disrespect, you seem more confident about the 18" than you do about the 8-12". Your 18 needs an error bar and if this is a mere +/- 6 inches then 45 degrees puts the ball out of bounds. You can not judge distances this precisely based on the footage I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Duilen
      Why don't they simply use lasers to determine these things?
      A laser can not differentiate between a ball and a body part

Comment

Originally posted by psychobilly
        Meaning no disrespect, you seem more confident about the 18" than you do about the 8-12". Your 18 needs an error bar and if this is a mere +/- 6 inches then 45 degrees puts the ball out of bounds. You can not judge distances this precisely based on the footage I have seen.
        The biggest problem with his theory, is that based on the pictures I posted (from a camera angle not shown during telecast), Bailey was more than 8-12" from the goal line. Looking at the picture (3rd) where Watson makes contact with Bailey, there appears to be close to a yard, give or take a foot, between Bailey and the endzone.
        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Might be coming

Originally posted by Duilen
          Why don't they simply use lasers to determine these things?
          I don't think that we're too far away from the league using lasers and so on to try and pinpoint exactly when and where the ball crosses the goal line/sideline/firstdown marker. I have a creepy feeling that before too long a replay official will be able to look at a replay and see a light come on exactly when the ball crosses the plain. This would take the guess work out of these situations, but when did football become a science experiment? Just let the players play and officials officiate.
          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
          - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
          - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
          - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Great series of pics. Clearly, not a touchback.

Now, regarding the Pats fans laughing. I was laughing too; but shouldn't the Pats not have been so happy about a lost scoring chance and susequent 14 point turnaround.

The thing is I kept laughing too.

"I am the eggman... HOO... I am the Walrus... Koo Koo Ka Choo" - Jay Cutler

Comment

Working...
            X