Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpe's Mouth
    replied
    Great series of pics. Clearly, not a touchback.

Now, regarding the Pats fans laughing. I was laughing too; but shouldn't the Pats not have been so happy about a lost scoring chance and susequent 14 point turnaround.

The thing is I kept laughing too.

Leave a comment:

• Wigglesworth
    replied
    Might be coming

Originally posted by Duilen
    Why don't they simply use lasers to determine these things?
    I don't think that we're too far away from the league using lasers and so on to try and pinpoint exactly when and where the ball crosses the goal line/sideline/firstdown marker. I have a creepy feeling that before too long a replay official will be able to look at a replay and see a light come on exactly when the ball crosses the plain. This would take the guess work out of these situations, but when did football become a science experiment? Just let the players play and officials officiate.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by psychobilly
    Meaning no disrespect, you seem more confident about the 18" than you do about the 8-12". Your 18 needs an error bar and if this is a mere +/- 6 inches then 45 degrees puts the ball out of bounds. You can not judge distances this precisely based on the footage I have seen.
    The biggest problem with his theory, is that based on the pictures I posted (from a camera angle not shown during telecast), Bailey was more than 8-12" from the goal line. Looking at the picture (3rd) where Watson makes contact with Bailey, there appears to be close to a yard, give or take a foot, between Bailey and the endzone.

Leave a comment:

• psychobilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Duilen
    Why don't they simply use lasers to determine these things?
    A laser can not differentiate between a ball and a body part

Leave a comment:

• psychobilly
    replied
    Originally posted by PsychoChicken
    I believe that it should have been a touchback. But I can't be positive, so don't flame me. Here's my rationale:

So here's the situation. Bailey is about 8-12 inches in front of the goal line. The ball is about 18 inches (from my best guess), from the sideline. At the angle he is hit, the ball flies in a forward/left diagonal direction. Considering that the ball was closer to the goal line than the sideline, and that the ball came out at almost a 45 degree angle, I find it hard to believe that the ball did not break the plane of the goal line. So even though the video makes it impossible to see by the naked eye, I think basic geometry provides the answer. Keep in mind, I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but logic tells me that I'm right. If someone can prove me wrong, I'd be more than happy to flush my theory away.

I'm kind of all-over-the-place with this explanation but I hope you understand it.
    Meaning no disrespect, you seem more confident about the 18" than you do about the 8-12". Your 18 needs an error bar and if this is a mere +/- 6 inches then 45 degrees puts the ball out of bounds. You can not judge distances this precisely based on the footage I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• psychobilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
    The angles CBS had during the transmision weren't conclusive, but if no decision was made, and you have to pick something (out of bounds or over the end-zone) probably I would have picked over the end zone.

Now, something funny, the NBC Boston channel has an angle from "behind" (I guess they were behind the opposite end-zone, probably towards the corner). In that angle the ball seems to fly out of bounds. Anyway, too close to call.

Any engineers or physicists with some time to spare willing to take a look at the possibilities?
    I think the referees should have deferred to the crowd since they were a lot closer and had a much better view!

Leave a comment:

• psychobilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Firstwave64
    Hell Plummer and the broncos have shown they can win...I remember week 2...on cold pizza the one guy said..Denver is not going to the playoffs....I been hearing for years..Jake can't win a playoff game....and Now theres only 1 more left..Jake will never take denver to the superbowl...Guess what...noone is saying that now
    We don't have to justify anything to anybody. 14-3 and counting.

Leave a comment:

• Vulcan
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
    Comcast what.. internet? Or cable TV? I wonder where I can view this image???
    I would think the internet.

Leave a comment:

• 1broncosfan
    replied
    Whether or not it was a touchback or out of bounds. I know that my Patriot friends were laughing so hard.

But.. I was the one who got to laugh in the end.

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Originally posted by atomicbloke
    I work on mathematical simulations like this at work so let me take a shot at understanding this.

The plane of the pylon is an imaginary wall on the goal-line. Imagine another wall running along the side-line. The corner where both walls meet is the pylon.

Now imagine you are in your room running towards the wall infront of you and another wall to your left side. You are running parallel to the wall to your left. Now if you lose the ball and it hits the wall infront of you or the corner of the room, it's a touchback. If it hits the wall to your side, it's out of bounds, like the call in the game. (If I understand the rule correctly).

Now BroncoManiac_69 mentioned the wall infront of you (the wall on the goal-line) extends forever. That is true but the point is moot. If the ball hits the wall on the side first, it's out of bounds. From all angles I have seen, none were conclusive which wall it hit first. But my point is, if the ball had to hit the wall infront of you, it would have to have a very straight trajectory, almost parallel to the side wall. It did not appear so on the replays.

That would be the physics explanation, but please correct me if I have misunderstood the football rules. I just can't see how anyone can confidently say it crossed the wall infront like the sportswriters are doing.

Very well put. And thanks for setting the record straight: It is a moot point that the goal line continues out of bounds infinitely. That only matters when the player is still connected to the ball.

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
    Any engineers or physicists with some time to spare willing to take a look at the possibilities?

No, I've seen enough. But thanks for asking.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=52972

[EDIT] Ah, there you go. Sorry tnedator, didn't mean to steal your thunder!
    Last edited by sbutk; 01-18-2006, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Here you go, this is a link to a single web page with the 9 or so pictures and descriptions, showing the video sequence from a camera angle that shows the ball never crossed the goalline/pylon. I don't have video capture capabilities, so had to take digital pics, so the quality isn't great, but it is clear.

http://www.tnedstats.com/broncos/ChampsINTFUMB.htm

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Ok, I am pretty sure it is about to be shown again in a couple minutes on NFL Total Access, starting about 49 minutes into the program, where they do an in depth review of the game's key plays, using video highlights and KOA radio announcers.

Total access is replaying from last night, and 6:30 (Denver time), it will replay again, so around 7:19 Denver time this morning, it should be on again.

This is assuming my memory is correct and this is where I saw it last night, I watched 4 different football/Bronco shows last night (playbook, totally football, etc.). Last night.

Since I have no video capture option, if it comes up again, I will pause with Tivo and take a picture with camera if possible.

Leave a comment:

• selyoink
    replied
    I honestly have no idea whether the ball crossed the pylon or not. I saw no replays that swayed me one way or the other. It was a totally inconclusive play. Whatever was called on the field was going to be upheld. Glad it went our way.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to tnedator again.

Can't say I didn't try. If there is a visual that shows the refs got this call right, perhaps this will shut off 1% of the Pats fans whining.... No small thing, that.
    Wish the mods would make an exception to the rule here. Good Find!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X