Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go with the chop/cut block again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go with the chop/cut block again!

I am so tired of this!!

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-599670.html

Steelers-Broncos matchup revives Cowher-Shanahan debate

By ALAN ROBINSON
    The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan are trading compliments almost daily, with Cowher calling the Broncos' coach the best playcaller in football and Shanahan recounting how he almost became Cowher's offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh in 1992.

Last season, the words they exchanged were much harsher and anger-inducing, and created hard feelings between the two coaches preparing for Sunday's AFC championship game in Denver.

Cowher, himself a former NFL player, spoke out against the Broncos' penchant for cut blocking - a legal but borderline technique in which linemen block below the waist on the backside of a play, often when a defensive player isn't looking.

Shanahan, in turn, took Denver reporters to a projection room where he showed them tape of Steelers linemen doing the same thing.

"I was a little offended with Bill Cowher's statement because they do it," Shanahan said.

What was unusual about the exchange of words was the teams didn't play in 2004. Cowher was reacting to a broken ankle sustained by the Bengals' Tony Williams on a cut block by Broncos tackle George Foster.

"I saw the play and would not condone it," Cowher said. "Is it illegal. No? It is necessary? I don't think so. ... Do unto others as you want others to do unto you."

Steelers lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen took the blocking debate a step further Wednesday when he said the Broncos linemen not only cut block, but chop block - most often defined as a block below the waist from behind. It can be penalized on kick returns but is legal in what the NFL defines as "close line play," the area between the positions normally occupied by the offensive tackles.

The most egregious chop block occurs when two linemen double-team a defender, one hitting him high and the other low.

"What they do is legal," said von Oelhoffen, who caused a debate of his own two weeks ago when his hit seriously injured Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer's left knee. "As long as they get their heads out in front, it's up to us to defend it. It's part of the game. It has been for a long time."

The Broncos' 2,539 yards rushing were second in the NFL only to Atlanta's 2,546 yards, and there's a connection - Falcons consultant Alex Gibbs was the Broncos' offensive line coach from 1995-03 and is credited with developing many of Denver's blocking techniques.

"They're trying to create seams, create that little hole, and their backs are trying to read it and hit it," Steelers guard Alan Faneca said. "That's their scheme. It goes to personnel and schemes. We counter-block a little more than some teams do. It's a personal preference."

Faneca would counter-block, for example, when he lines up on the weak side yet still leads the blocking on a running play.

The Broncos' technique is successful because it can be distracting, with defenders forced to watch out for blockers not only in front of them but behind. The Broncos cut block because it gives their runners more options when they decide to cut back on a play.

"It does (work) if you fall into the trap and start looking for it," von Oelhoffen said. "Normally, you react to which way they're going and you just run. When you start looking for it, you get injured."

Linebacker Joey Porter, who angered the Colts last week by saying they refused to play physical football and relied on deception, said the Broncos are anything but a finesse team - as evidenced by their blocking techniques.

"Oh, yeah, they play aggressive," he said. "They run the ball, they pass the ball and they play physical on defense."

Last week, Cowher urged his players not to say anything the Colts could use as motivational material. He took his own advice when asked about the Broncos' cut blocking, which helped produce not only a 1,000-yard rusher in Mike Anderson (1,014 yards) but nearly a second in Tatum Bell (921 yards).

"I don't think it's any more than anyone else," Cowher said.
    sigpic

Old history, mate.

Whilst our Zone Blocking scheme is perfectly legal, because we do it so much better than anyone else, although the Falcons are starting to rival us, opponents are always going to whine about it.

For all the complaints, I don't think anyone has gotten hurt playing against us this year, and whilst what happend to Williams last year was regrettable, I don't recall anyone on here defending Foster's actions on that play.

In fact, although I may be wrong here, didn't Tony Williams visit us during Free Agency?

And don't mention Shanny's tape of the Steelers
    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
      Old history, mate.

Whilst our Zone Blocking scheme is perfectly legal, because we do it so much better than anyone else, although the Falcons are starting to rival us, opponents are always going to whine about it.

For all the complaints, I don't think anyone has gotten hurt playing against us this year, and whilst what happend to Williams last year was regrettable, I don't recall anyone on here defending Foster's actions on that play.

In fact, although I may be wrong here, didn't Tony Williams visit us during Free Agency?

And don't mention Shanny's tape of the Steelers
      For me,I just wish they would drop it,its kind of an old topic like you say.I think when these writers run out of fresh ideas to write about,this is always a good fill in for them but it makes me sick!
      sigpic

Comment

Bunch of cry babies. Legal. If it was illegal the refs would make the call. People cry alot when you perform better than they do.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

I had a feeling this would come up again. It came up when TD ran all those yards and we were going to the SB in 98.

You are right, E. Cry babies.
          sigpic
          Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
          -Sean Payton

Comment

WARNING! It will be raining yellow flags on the Broncos. That's what the article is telling you. Pittsburgh media crying for sympathy and a little help to get to the big dance, that's the only way they'll get there.

Comment

If you're tired of hearing it, send some requests to ol' Shanny to play nicely. It is a fact that your OL is the dirtiest in the NFL, and has been for a long while now. It's not their faults... I'm sure they're all decent people; it's Shanny's fault and Shanny's fault only.
              Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

Comment

Oh, brother....

This is what caught my eye from that article:

Steelers lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen took the blocking debate a step further Wednesday when he said the Broncos linemen not only cut block, but chop block - most often defined as a block below the waist from behind.
                Since when???

Did von Oelhoffen define it that way to the author, or did the author just take it on himself to create a new definition?
                Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad Broncofan
                  WARNING! It will be raining yellow flags on the Broncos. That's what the article is telling you. Pittsburgh media crying for sympathy and a little help to get to the big dance, that's the only way they'll get there.

--- unfortunately you may be right!
                  --- all the heat the zebras are taking may cause them to "over"officiate !!!

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                  The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                  http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                  My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
                    --- unfortunately you may be right!
                    --- all the heat the zebras are taking may cause them to "over"officiate !!!
                    Hopefully it may go the otherway, they're getting heat for making calls that maybe they shouldn't have, and I accept that the PI on Samuels could be there.

After the flack for getting involved when they shouldn't, maybe they'll let both teams play.............................................. .....

Nah
                    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Well with all the Porter crybaby crap about "the refs cheated us", I can't see the refs feeling too sympathetic with the Steelers about now.
                      Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Hmm. The post reported there was no acrimony over the inceident between the two coaches, looks like this reporter is just trying to stir it up between two teams being civil to each other.
                        The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OceanBeachBolts
                          If you're tired of hearing it, send some requests to ol' Shanny to play nicely. It is a fact that your OL is the dirtiest in the NFL, and has been for a long while now. It's not their faults... I'm sure they're all decent people; it's Shanny's fault and Shanny's fault only.
                          Don't you need to start getting ready for the Padre's home opener, since your football season is over!!!!

Watch any game and you will see cut blocks. Every team does it, the only difference is the Broncos have had more rushing yards over the last ten years than any other team. It is called ENVY.
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                            Ignore facts much? Do you actually plan to debate the fact that zone blocking is completely legal, or the fact that every team in the NFL cut blocks, or are you content to simply hide behind your ignorance and make snide comments?
                            I didn't make any snide comments, so your rudeness can **** off. I spoke the truth: you have the dirtiest offensive line the NFL. Yes, it's legal; it is also very dangerous and frowned upon by those with consciences.
                            Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

Comment

Originally posted by OceanBeachBolts
                              I didn't make any snide comments, so your rudeness can **** off. I spoke the truth: you have the dirtiest offensive line the NFL. Yes, it's legal; it is also very dangerous and frowned upon by those with consciences.
                              Why don't you take your potty mouth and shove off if you can't refrain from cussing on this message board?
                              The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Working...
                              X