Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Rulon Jones!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remember Rulon Jones!

    I remember him causing a game winning fumble that went for a Denver TD late in the game against the Patriots back in the 1986 Divisional playoffs! Even back then the Patriots had troubles with Denver. The next week they were in Cleveland the site of John Elway's famous "DRIVE"!!!

    Lets all thank Rulon! He greatly helped put the Broncos in the AFC championship that year!!!

    Where is he now? Anyone know?
    If you love NFL stats and history
    pro-football-reference.com
    jt-sw.com/football

  • #2
    My most vivid recollection of him is with two arms in the air standing over Lynne ****ey in the 4th quarter at Mile High to ise the game. Denver beat GB in that game which was played in a snowstorm.

    Comment


    • #3
      LOL. The program will not allow me to spell Lynne's last name!

      Comment


      • #4
        Rulon was a good defensive player. I liked him rushing on the outside.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by psychobilly
          LOL. The program will not allow me to spell Lynne's last name!
          Yeah.. that filter can be annoying sometimes.

          I remember Rulon Jones.. he was a beast. Made a few Probowls in his career but didn't play that long.

          He owns a ranch for hunting and fishing in Utah .. website here
          The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

          Comment


          • #6
            I was at that game, and not to be nitpicky, but I think what you're thinking of was when RJ sacked Tony Eason in the endzone for a safety that clinched the game.

            http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=4795

            But, yes, I'm with you. Rulon was fantastic. Love that guy.

            Off topic, but it's interesting how we remember games. I was at the '85 MNF "Snowball Incident" game against the 49ers, and I remembered it as: At the end of the game, Ray Wersching tried to kick the game-winning field goal. A snowball thrown from the stands landed in front of him, broke his concentration, and the kick sailed wide, Broncos win. This was the exact account given in at least 2 other internet sites that I saw. It was also the account given by Larry Zimmer in his "Stadium Stories" book.

            Then I got a copy of the game on DVD, and to my suprise, we all remembered the game incorrectly. The infamous incident actually happened at the end of the 2nd quarter, not at the end of the game. Also, Wersching didn't miss the field goal, he never kicked it. The snowball landed in front of holder Matt Cavanaugh, who flubbed the hold. He picked it up and tried to throw it, incomplete. Interesting.

            Comment


            • #7
              I believe Rulon was actually AFC Defensive Player of the Year one year...And out of the league two years later...He and Reeves had some type of run-in.

              Coincidently, Rulon was drafted in the second round from a pick we got from Cleveland for Lyle Alzado...And Rulon was probably a better DE than Alzado, although not as "famous".

              .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lamestain
                I was at that game, and not to be nitpicky, but I think what you're thinking of was when RJ sacked Tony Eason in the endzone for a safety that clinched the game.

                http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=4795

                But, yes, I'm with you. Rulon was fantastic. Love that guy.

                Off topic, but it's interesting how we remember games. I was at the '85 MNF "Snowball Incident" game against the 49ers, and I remembered it as: At the end of the game, Ray Wersching tried to kick the game-winning field goal. A snowball thrown from the stands landed in front of him, broke his concentration, and the kick sailed wide, Broncos win. This was the exact account given in at least 2 other internet sites that I saw. It was also the account given by Larry Zimmer in his "Stadium Stories" book.

                Then I got a copy of the game on DVD, and to my suprise, we all remembered the game incorrectly. The infamous incident actually happened at the end of the 2nd quarter, not at the end of the game. Also, Wersching didn't miss the field goal, he never kicked it. The snowball landed in front of holder Matt Cavanaugh, who flubbed the hold. He picked it up and tried to throw it, incomplete. Interesting.
                You know what? I think you are right! It was a sac for a safety. It is funny how the memory changes over time! None the less, Rulon was great.
                If you love NFL stats and history
                pro-football-reference.com
                jt-sw.com/football

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by psychobilly
                  LOL. The program will not allow me to spell Lynne's last name!
                  Di¢key.

                  -----

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One of my favorite Broncos of all time. I just got this poster off eBay last week:

                    Congrats to current Denver Broncos and former University of Maryland Terrapins:
                    #22 Dominique Foxworth
                    #40 Curome Cox

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, my dad was neighbors with his dad! I'm not kidding! This was when I was like 1 years old so I dont remember. But my dad has plenty of memories about him and his father.
                      vvvv Palomar-Mnt. Southern California vvvv

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cool

                        Originally posted by So.CalBRONCOFAN
                        Yeah, my dad was neighbors with his dad! I'm not kidding! This was when I was like 1 years old so I dont remember. But my dad has plenty of memories about him and his father.
                        I live in Minnesota now, but when I was 14 I lived in Denver for a while (1981) and got Rulon's autograph at aFord Dealership where my dad worked. My bothers and I got to meet the players before the public was let in! Also got signed photos from Riley Odoms, Bob Swenson, Mike Harden, Larry Evans, Barney Chavous, Rubin Carter and maybe a few others. I will have to look for those! I don't remember who was all there! I remember Odom tossed me a small football with his autograph!!

                        Denver barely missed the playoffs that year. Dan Reeve's first season.
                        If you love NFL stats and history
                        pro-football-reference.com
                        jt-sw.com/football

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by psychobilly
                          LOL. The program will not allow me to spell Lynne's last name!
                          It would let you spell ice though.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X