Denver cap situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver cap situation?

Given our circumstances I should not bring this up but comments by Pete Prisco makes me wonder "the truth." In this article, http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9173102, Pete Prisco says the Broncos are most likely to fall from its current success because it has to cut 27 million dollars? However, I have not heard this and if this is true who is draining our salary cap? Have any of you heard that the Broncos will be over 27 million dollars over the cap?
    Broncos fans since age 6.
    Fanatical Broncos fan since 1991.
    Favorite Player: John Elway
    Favorite Coach: Mike Shanahan

Originally posted by Loyalty
    Given our circumstances I should not bring this up but comments by Pete Prisco makes me wonder "the truth." In this article, http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9173102, Pete Prisco says the Broncos are most likely to fall from its current success because it has to cut 27 million dollars? However, I have not heard this and if this is true who is draining our salary cap? Have any of you heard that the Broncos will be over 27 million dollars over the cap?
    Yes, it's been talked about quite a bit on this forum.

I don't know the exact numbers, but three or four of the D-line, including price, will jump from making between 900k and 1.5m to 2-3m. That is what the problem is. We have a lot of players whose salary goes up 2-4million next year. The hope is that these players will renegotiate, take a signing bonus (spread over multiple years for cap purposes) and offset it with a lower salary, but it is possible we could lose price and a couple other starting D-linement. Nalen's salary is supposed to be too high to keep, and he has talked about retirment. Will he come back at a lower salary?

The only good news is that the Broncos have been 20-30 million over the cap quite a few seasons and generally seem to be able to get the math worked out without losing too many players.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

The other good news is that the Broncos are in a decent position to improve themselves through the draft.

They not only have two first round picks, but have a lot of picks throughout the draft.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

other good news

Besides the fact that the 27 is representative of next year's salary without adjustments (and I would expect several!!) We have quite a bit of YOUNG talent. Only glaringly old farts are Rod, Lynch, Nalen, Elam, Pryce and Nalen may retire (and we have a couple guys behind him) Rod and definitely John would restructure to continue playing on a SB caliber team and as much as I like Jason he won't be the only kicker available in Free agency. My guess is if Trevor stays he in one of the "several" adjustments I spoke of.
        And we have tons of draft picks as pointed out above.

But out of all this the one thing that makes me very happy is we are done with those god-awful dead-money days we were going thru. I'm fairly certain that we are in the last year of having our salary cap hosed by the likes of Wussy Griese. So any perceived issues with salary cap are manageable. The player and the team have to reach an equitable solution or the team has to look elsewhere.
        "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

I just hope and pray that after this years success, the Browncos realize what they have been given by playing here and can re-negotiate some. Not only them, but other players on the team also.

Comment

We will be fine, the cap is easier to manipulate than people realize.

Comment

Denver always finds a way to make the cap work. Not to mention, I am sure many players will be willing to restructure existing contracts to keep a team intact that is a superbowl contender. These guys want the ring

Comment

My feeling. If all goes well tomorrow and two weeks from tomorrow, Rod, Elam and Nalan will retire on a great note. Will be sad, but still, they ended at the top if all goes well. We will lose Courtney Brown because the others have proven they are pretty damn good. We will keep Gerrard and Ekuban. Lynch will remain for one more year then retire. This is Denvers shot here in the next 15 days. Next year we will be ok, but I'm predicting a 10-6 season. nothing like this year. We brought in a ton of potential talent (not according to all) but still talent. Denver will go after a WR and DL with the first two picks since our CB are solidified for the next 7-10 years possibly. LB are just fine. Not sure if Price is back, but the sting might not be so bad if he gets a ring this year and goes to another team.

Comment

we will release Nate Jackson and our cap Situation will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16
                    we will release Nate Jackson and our cap Situation will be fine

How does releasing Nate Jackson solve all of the cap overage?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                    You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
                      We will be fine, the cap is easier to manipulate than people realize.
                      Not really. If it was so easy to manipulate then Tennessee would not have had to purge the likes of Samari Rolle, Andre Dyson, Derrick Mason, etc. to get under the cap. Denver still had very little money to work with in 2005 but Shanahan did a very good job of getting the "Browncos" on the team. However, opportunites like that do not happen that often and I doubt Denver will have as successful an offseason next year as they did this year. I doubt they will have a big falloff either and become bad, but they are not going to work some miracles like they did this year.
                      "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Here are the top money players for next year 2006

Name Position********* Compensation

Warren, Gerard DT *******6,600,000.00 **
                        Pryce, Trevor DE *********6,530,000.00 **
                        Nalen, Tom OL***********6,000,000.00 **
                        Bailey, Roland CB ********5,500,000.00 **
                        Plummer, Jake QB ********4,300,000.00
                        Wilson, Al LB ************3,900,000.00 **
                        Smith, Rod WR***********3,000,000.00 **
                        Ekuban, Ebenezer DE *****3,000,000.00 ****
                        Lynch, John S ************2,900,000.00 **
                        Anderson, Mike RB ********2,565,000.00 ****
                        Engelberger, John DE******1,750,000.00 ****
                        Putzier, Jeb TE ***********1,500,000.00
                        Brown, Courtney DE *******1,400,000.00
                        Sauerbrun, Todd P/K ******1,395,000.00
                        Elam, Jason P/K **********1,300,000.00

Not sure where you can cut out of these the big money guys.

**I suspect the top 4 will either be gone or renegoiate if they stay.

Mikey has come through in the past I'm sure he'll do it again.

**** not worth keeping at those prices.

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.as...Search+Results
                        Last edited by Jrhampton; 01-22-2006, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Cap friendly deals with every one of those players saves 30 million.

(Not even mentioning the guys that will be leaving)

Quit worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
                            Cap friendly deals with every one of those players saves 30 million.

(Not even mentioning the guys that will be leaving)

Quit worrying.
                            I don't think that is realistic to expect every player to restructure.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                              I don't think that is realistic to expect every player to restructure.

You are in far worse shape that we are...We don't have dead money. You on the other hand, if you cut players, you'll still be paying against the cap for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X