Off Season Analysis - Where do we go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season Analysis - Where do we go?

For all of those reading this whom I know or do not hello, for those whom do know me, sorry it has been to long but what a year... Missed you guys, but I had fun and now I am back. For some of those who read this and say who the hell does he think is, well I have been a football player and coach for nearly 22 years, and now I am a sports analyst for many programs (including ESPN and RMSN) and my services are used by scouts throughout the US - I love my job...Hahahaha

But a friend asked me to give an analysis of what Denver needs or where they should go (Top!)

Okay so where should the Broncos go to remain competitive, well simple Shanahan needs to get off his *** and get to work, we all know Kubiaks loss is hard, but it could be good, a good quarterback coach or reciever coach in his spot could work miracles, and yes I hope it is ol' Humdinger (Pun) but the fact is I also think we need a new O-Line coach as well and I would be looking at Atlanta or K.C. for someone...no names, but there are some good ones' in those organizations.

Shanahan needs to squash all the hype about the comings and goings of T.O. and Ricky Williams, we have a good backfield with Bell, Anderson and Dayne, though Shanahan wants to make one the arguable workhorse, I would actually be surprised to see Denver even draft one this year.

Quarterbacks, well I hope they are looking in the draft for one to eventually or in the near future to be the next (franchise) quarterback, I will leave this subject alone... It is a touchy one with me!

Recievers, okay people I hear all the T.O. crap year in and year out, and he will be cheaper lines, no he will not be, there are teams that will easily take him for a bit less then what Philly was paying him, he would still be too costly for a team like Denver well into a fiscal hole. Do we need a reciever? Yes, but we do not need a caliber icon like T.O., we need a possession reciever. We need a 6-4, 6-5 and 200+ lbs. monster with hands that will make LBs' and safeties question hitting him.

Why? Well that is simple, look at the game films this year, we are not a long bomb team and we have that threat with Lelie whom is going to get better and better, but if you look with how teams cover Smith (Mid-Field) as is the same with our tight ends, throw another in there that can catch the ball and punish the tackler, we can open up more options. I would like to see Smith stand down to the 2nd reciever spot and see Lelie as the 1st, add a possession reciever whom can close in between five to ten yards of the line of scrimmage with Smith in the middle and Lelie running for a break, we could be very dangerous. (This is what we had with Smith, McCaffrey and Sharpe).

The O-Line right now is in a state of chaos because? Well simple, we are worrying too much about losses etc. Nalen hopefully can come back same as with Lepsis, but Lepsis is the more important of the two, we have Hamilton in the waiting whom is better suited for center then guard, so our priority is guards, these are the QBs' biggest protectors, well should be. I think Denver will get a top notch guard in the draft and hopefully replace Carlisle via F.A., but Lepsis would be the hardest to replace, tackles are not easy to come by.

Overall the offense even with Plummer at the helm need little to be contention credible once the season starts. However, defense is our weekest link right now.

Denver has no incredible players lining up on the line, I like Warren whom had a good year, Brown might come back to anchor the weak side, but it depends. Pryce will have an option, take a price cut and take over the weak side and have Ekuban as his backup or do not take a paycut and leave... Shanahan already said his deal needs restructured to stay, but where he plays on the line can be a factor also. If Pryce refuses, he is gone and Brown will get a deal to stay. But this still leaves Denver with two glaring needs a tackle and an end, here is where I see Denver making the most impact via the draft and F.A., they will be looking or should be for two pass rushing athletes, though the tackle will be more balanced, I think the end will be whom has the best speed to help our pass rush. As always we will add through F.A. and we have George Gause whom could be ready to make an impact from our practice squad, remember he was considered to be a 4th round pick in last years draft!

Now linebacker is set, though I do not like it! What? That's right I think Ian Gold was a big mistake, he costs too much and well, we have other needs... If I was Shanahan I would move D.J. to which ever spot he was better at, get a reasonable athlete for the other and use Gold in a trade maybe with Pryce even and get some cap space open for the other needs. I am not nuts, but remember we went to the SB with Romanowski, Mobley and who? No big stars, just a good linebacker.

Cornerbacks are well into where they should be, Walls needs to go, Alexander too. But overall we have Champ, Foxworth, Williams, Big P and I think Foxworth will come into his own this year and take the other slot, he will be a good corner, not great but good, he did damn well for a rook considered to be a wasted pick in the draft!

Safeties, this is the old mans territory, my expert area. Lynch unless he retires will be ready to go at least one more year, and for all those whom say we need a cover safety in his spot? I say quit smoking that pipe with white rocks... We need a hard hitter whom can get into the pass or help with the rush...a Lynch clone. Actually we just need to start grooming his replacement, we could get a good young hard hitting FS in F.A. or in the draft, but either way one whom we can develop for a year or two at the most. As far as Ferguson goes... I am unimpressed by his play this year, but what do you expect from someone whom is just becoming a starter and is nearly John Lynch's age. This is where Denver needs a cover safety and can be handled with a good pickup in F.A., unfortunatley this is the best option, we need a safety to cover and make plays, so for an immediate impact F.A. is the only way to go, I would let Fergy' be either a backup or let him loose.

All in all if Denver can fill these few but important gaps in the team, Denver will make another run, if they fail to do so and Shanahan messes up in the draft and does not fill them, we will be lucky to go 9-7 and hope for a wild card spot. Plummer and the rest gave up the blueprint to how to kick our ***es against Pittsburgh, stop the run best you can and get to our QB make him turn into his old self and you own the offense. To stop the defense hold off their QB pressure and pass, the D will crumble... If Plummer gets a revamped line and a new target, the offense can sideswipe the blueprint, the same if the defense can get more pressure and can cover better...
    Last edited by lancane; 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM.

Nice thread but I can't say I agree with you, 9-7? Come on man. I'd be surprised if we didn't win the division again, perhaps go to the super bowl. Everyone is just depressed after this loss, you have to be positive.

Comment

Originally posted by alwilson91
      Nice thread but I can't say I agree with you, 9-7? Come on man. I'd be surprised if we didn't win the division again, perhaps go to the super bowl. Everyone is just depressed after this loss, you have to be positive.
      I am a fan, but I am also a professional sports analyst... I tell it like it is!

Comment

Ian Gold is possibly the best cheerleader/leader we have on the Broncos. As a fan, I would hate to see him go. He left for a year to Tampa, and came back again. He seems to fit best into Denver's system of football.

I would like to see some pass rushers on the D-line, and some good pass protectors on the O-line. Those two things seemed very obvious, judging from last weeks game.

The Steelers found our weaknesses. But you pressure and QB and take away his running game, the game is going to go downhill. It's what Denver did for most of its season! We pressured Green and McNabb and Brees, and shut down their run games (even though Philly didnt have much of a run game) and won in dominating fashion.

Now, if we can copy what the Steelers did to us on defense, we'll have good shot to go far next year.
        sigpic
        Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
        -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
          I am a fan, but I am also a professional sports analyst... I tell it like it is!
          I'm happy to see a sports analyst on here...but let me let you in on a little secret....analysts were wrong about the Broncos all last season, and showed a decided lack of respect for the Broncos...so I wouldn't make too much noise about being an analyst....it won't gain you any respect around here.

I like the fact you are a Broncos fan, and reading your posts, I can tell you are passionate about the Broncos. We all like to analyze the game and discuss it from all angles. And yes, most of us do not analyse football for a living (we'll leave that to you!)...
          sigpic

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
          -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
            Ian Gold is possibly the best cheerleader/leader we have on the Broncos. As a fan, I would hate to see him go. He left for a year to Tampa, and came back again. He seems to fit best into Denver's system of football.

I would like to see some pass rushers on the D-line, and some good pass protectors on the O-line. Those two things seemed very obvious, judging from last weeks game.

The Steelers found our weaknesses. But you pressure and QB and take away his running game, the game is going to go downhill. It's what Denver did for most of its season! We pressured Green and McNabb and Brees, and shut down their run games (even though Philly didnt have much of a run game) and won in dominating fashion.

Now, if we can copy what the Steelers did to us on defense, we'll have good shot to go far next year.
            Well I am glad I see someone can understand the whole picture, but the Gold issue is where I will disagree, he is an overpaid uneeded part of our team, we have too much being spent on the linebackers, and Gold is the weakest of our three starters anyways, but he is good enough to trade, tell me we cannot use that space for other needs? As fans we want and want...But you need to realize that those wants cost... I like Gold, but I would rather have DJ and Wilson and a top notch pass rush.

Though we did have an okay pass rush, it still had it's falters, we need some youth and speed to get there quicker, so I agree with you on that, but we will not be able to afford them if we cannot climb out of the financial cellar.

Comment

I'm happy to see a sports analyst on here...but let me let you in on a little secret....analysts were wrong about the Broncos all last season, and showed a decided lack of respect for the Broncos...so I wouldn't make too much noise about being an analyst....it won't gain you any respect around here.

I like the fact you are a Broncos fan, and reading your posts, I can tell you are passionate about the Broncos. We all like to analyze the game and discuss it from all angles. And yes, most of us do not analyse football for a living (we'll leave that to you!)...
              Actually I said at the beginning of the season that it would be Denver 13-3 RS and Seattle 12-4 RS in Detroit, Denver went 13-3 and Seattle? So no, I have never been too far off on my predictions... Everyone thought I was nuts, I even said Plummer would be the SuperBowl MVP, but I came just a hair short... Oh well I was close and Seattle did make it!

Comment

Well I am glad I see someone can understand the whole picture, but the Gold issue is where I will disagree, he is an overpaid uneeded part of our team, we have too much being spent on the linebackers, and Gold is the weakest of our three starters anyways, but he is good enough to trade, tell me we cannot use that space for other needs? As fans we want and want...But you need to realize that those wants cost... I like Gold, but I would rather have DJ and Wilson and a top notch pass rush.

Though we did have an okay pass rush, it still had it's falters, we need some youth and speed to get there quicker, so I agree with you on that, but we will not be able to afford them if we cannot climb out of the financial cellar.
                Your not going to sell me on getting rid of Ian Gold so quickly. During the 2005 regualr season, he had 88 tackles, 16 assists, 3 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries. And he is a defensive leader. The trio of LB's work very well together, and did a great job of stuffing the run. Taking Ian Gold out of the picture would change an intangible on the team. With many other issues facing the team, taking away a leader and a lead tackler would just be one more hurdle to jump over.
                sigpic

-Sean Payton

Comment

Actually I said at the beginning of the season that it would be Denver 13-3 RS and Seattle 12-4 RS in Detroit, Denver went 13-3 and Seattle? So no, I have never been too far off on my predictions... Everyone thought I was nuts, I even said Plummer would be the SuperBowl MVP, but I came just a hair short... Oh well I was close and Seattle did make it!
                  Then you are one of the few who chose pretty dang close!

GO BRONCOS!!!
                  sigpic

-Sean Payton

Comment

Your not going to sell me on getting rid of Ian Gold so quickly. During the 2005 regualr season, he had 88 tackles, 16 assists, 3 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries. And he is a defensive leader. The trio of LB's work very well together, and did a great job of stuffing the run. Taking Ian Gold out of the picture would change an intangible on the team. With many other issues facing the team, taking away a leader and a lead tackler would just be one more hurdle to jump over.

Hahaha... I am not saying he was not good, but would you like to get rid of Williams or Wilson? Remember Williams had a good year over in that spot too, the total contracts if I am not mistaken for our three linebackers is close to whole being around $96 million dollars... I think that is a bit much for any LB corps. And Williams will soon be up for a new contract... Can you say ouch, I would not disagree if we were a 3-4 team, they would be more important then the line, but in a 4-3, that price hurts a bit too much! But I am glad you have a valid argument!

Comment

Im am curious, have you been paying much attention to the senior bowl this year?

I have a question about a few names, if you have any inside information or feelings about these guys.

Stoval, WR out of Notre Dame.

Wilson, WR out of Oklahoma.

Hali, DE out Penn State.

Robinson, QB Penn state

I wont go further than that. I dont wont to bog you down with a bunch of questions, but you have somewhat of an inside track and I was wondering if you had heard any news.

Comment

Originally posted by Krugan
                        Im am curious, have you been paying much attention to the senior bowl this year?

I have a question about a few names, if you have any inside information or feelings about these guys.

Stoval, WR out of Notre Dame.

Wilson, WR out of Oklahoma.

Hali, DE out Penn State.

Robinson, QB Penn state

I wont go further than that. I dont wont to bog you down with a bunch of questions, but you have somewhat of an inside track and I was wondering if you had heard any news.
                        Robinson the QB from Penn State is underrated, simply he is gifted as a quarterback and an athlete. He is a lot like Matt Jones, he has played both the receiver and quarterback positions and respectively. Though his lack of numbers is what kills him. I have not heard much from the Senior Bowl yet on any of these kids, but I will get full tapes from the practices and from the game. I hear his upside is tremendous, he has a winning attitude, but right now according to what I know he is a fourth to sixth round pick, but his interview and combine numbers will alter that and anything I see from the Senior Bowl.

Wilson the receiver from Oklahoma has terrible numbers, but his stock he has is that he is an all-out athlete, Kick returns, rushing and as a receiver, so unless he steps up and has nothing but clear skies from now till the draft, well he will likely be a fourth round to fifth round pick, he may be worth a risk, if his injury from earlier this season is better and stays that way.

Stovall is one of my favorites in this years draft, he can bust it long but he is large at 6-5 and 222 lbs., he is a receiver I would love to see in Denver, unfortunately I and others are unsure where he will fall depending on SB and Combine, but I hope he is a late first round pick or late second round pick. He is a monster with tremendous upside, he is one of my top five receivers in the draft as of now. He also is second all time in ND football for touchdown receptions, he knows how to win.

Hali is a relentless pass rusher, this kid has a motor, but his size is better left for 3-4 teams, he is only 6-3, 267lbs. If he has beefed up he could go to a 4-3 team, but only if it has not hindered his performance and I will have to wait and see what the turnout forms from the SB have him at. But I think if he can have a good performance and combine numbers he will go on the first day of the draft.

I saw you asked me about Penn State athletes… You a fan? Cause here is a fun fact: At least one former Nittany Lion has played in 36 of 40 Super Bowls and Penn State alums have earned a total of 43 NFL Championship rings.
                        Last edited by lancane; 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Robinson the QB from Penn State is underrated, simply he is gifted as a quarterback and an athlete. He is a lot like Matt Jones, he has played both the receiver and quarterback positions and respectively. Though his lack of numbers is what kills him. I have not heard much from the Senior Bowl yet on any of these kids, but I will get full tapes from the practices and from the game. I hear his upside is tremendous, he has a winning attitude, but right now according to what I know he is a fourth to sixth round pick, but his interview and combine numbers will alter that and anything I see from the Senior Bowl.

Wilson the receiver from Oklahoma has terrible numbers, but his stock he has is that he is an all-out athlete, Kick returns, rushing and as a receiver, so unless he steps up and has nothing but clear skies from now till the draft, well he will likely be a fourth round to fifth round pick, he may be worth a risk, if his injury from earlier this season is better and stays that way.

Stovall is one of my favorites in this years draft, he can bust it long but he is large at 6-5 and 222 lbs., he is a receiver I would love to see in Denver, unfortunately I and others are unsure where he will fall depending on SB and Combine, but I hope he is a late first round pick or late second round pick. He is a monster with tremendous upside, he is one of my top five receivers in the draft as of now. He also is second all time in ND football for touchdown receptions, he knows how to win.

Hali is a relentless pass rusher, this kid has a motor, but his size is better left for 3-4 teams, he is only 6-3, 267lbs. If he has beefed up he could go to a 4-3 team, but only if it has not hindered his performance and I will have to wait and see what the turnout forms from the SB have him at. But I think if he can have a good performance and combine numbers he will go on the first day of the draft.

I saw you asked me about Penn State athletes… You a fan? Cause here is a fun fact: At least one former Nittany Lion has played in 36 of 40 Super Bowls and Penn State alums have earned a total of 43 NFL Championship rings.
                          Yes I am a fan, Jo Pa, how can you not root for the relic Although I have a soft spot for Notre Dame. I also root for who ever is playing against a florida team on any day! Thanks for the info. Working all day makes it hard to keep up with what is happening at the Senior Bowl.

Just an FYI, I went home for lunch and caught abit of the practice. The commentator was saying Wilson's stock should be on the rise. Appearantly he is having some pretty solid practice time.

Comment

Originally posted by Krugan
                            Yes I am a fan, Jo Pa, how can you not root for the relic Although I have a soft spot for Notre Dame. I also root for who ever is playing against a florida team on any day! Thanks for the info. Working all day makes it hard to keep up with what is happening at the Senior Bowl.

Just an FYI, I went home for lunch and caught abit of the practice. The commentator was saying Wilson's stock should be on the rise. Appearantly he is having some pretty solid practice time.
                            And that is what is needed, he seems to have all the ability and athleticism needed, but the injury killed his stock cause of course it hinders your playing time, but if he is fully healthy and ready to go and can like I said keep gaining support and show his ability, he will be a great pick up for any team, I heared that Oakland and Minnesota are interested in him, but I hear rumors like that all the time.

Anyways, you are welcome, you can ask me anytime.

Comment

HEY LANCANE:

got a coupla questions for ya;

1. you seem to think pretty highly of lelie, and i'm curious about that 'cause it's an opinion that hasn't been heard too much lately. . . anything in particular that you like about him. . . other than his great measurables, of course? seems to me that the organization would LOVE for him to TAKE the #1 spot away from smith, but i think they want lelie to earn it, which he really hasn't-- his production's decent for a #2, but he still doesn't run the best routes-- he's got fantastic COD and agility, he can make some truly acrobatic catches and adjust to the ball in the air-- then he loses focus and drops an easy one. of course, denver doesn't neccesarily need a true #1 with the production from the running game-- and i agree with you about a possession receiver, 3rd down really bit the team in the a$$ this year. . . you really think lelie has the mental makeup to be more productive than he has been so far? it certainly wouldn't hurt him to have a little more dedication in the weight-room this off-season, he's got the kind of frame to add more muscle without losing much quickness. . .

2. you suggest an O-line coach from atlanta-- i'm assuming you don't mean gibbs himself? i wish!! aren't the other guys there trained by gibbs? do you think that their guys are better than dennison? and if denver does add a guard through FA, anyone stand ou to ya (other than hutchinson, obviously-- again, i wish!!) i read the other day that herm will do everything he can to keep their O-line coach (can't remember his name)-- do you think one of their assistants would be better than dennison? should have never let gibbs get away, i don't care if he "retires" every year. . .

3. the safties. . . what about sam brandon, who is already on the roster? they used him quite a bit this year in their various nickel packages, and i thought he did a pretty decent job when they lined him up against gates and gonzalez-- he's faster than lynch or ferguson, he's got more range but probably isn't as instinctive. . . looks like he can hit a little bit. . . do you think he can be an every down type of player? right now, the broncs are basically starting 2 strong safeties, that's the "natural" position of both lynch and ferguson, and both are better in the box than playing center field. . . jerk or not, i'd give just about anything for a head-hunter like sean taylor who still has coverage speed, with his size and athleticism he's got great versatility and gives gregg williams a lot of options. . .

also. . . i like the idea of dj williams back at the "will", it would allow him to run to the ball and make more plays-- gold is good (and fast!!), but he's tiny and also gets run over sometimes. . .

whatdaya think?

BRONCOS LOCOS!!
                              Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X