Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shut down corner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • shut down corner

    there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.

  • #2
    No team in the NFL will always play the same kind of coverage all game. Defensive coordinators switch between man coverage and zone coverage to confuse the offense. Of course each team will tend to use one type of coverage more than the other, but no team is going to run man coverage 100% of the time.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

    It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know why people keep questioning Champ. He has turned the tide for us over and over. Corner is one of the hardest positions on the field especially with most rules favoring the reciever. Contact is limited and the receiver is always one step ahead of you. All the while you're trying to read the Quarter Back to get a jump on the route.

      KMartin said it. Defences wont give the same look twice.

      Bottom line, the guy is proven. Nuf said.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
        there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
        I believe that the "big fuss made about Bailey being a shut down corner" lies in his abilities to make plays that change the outcome of the game. The first San Diego game and the play-off game against New England come to mind.

        Comment


        • #5
          Any back we have is capable of 1000+ yards a season, we almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

          I'll make that trade every time if I had the chance again.
          sigpic

          Broncs All the Way Baby!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
            Any back we have is capable of 1000+ yards a season, we almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

            I'll make that trade every time if I had the chance again.

            Nuff said!!

            Champ shut's down the best in the league and makes plays when we need them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
              Any back we have is capable of 1000+ yards a season, we almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

              I'll make that trade every time if I had the chance again.
              I agree. AND..... these two running backs will do almost everything that the coach ask's.

              Portis.... just wanted more money.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't know of a coach, player, or analyst in the league who doesn't like Champ.

                Anyone who doesn't must not have all three of their brain cells arranged in a row.



                -----

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by topscribe
                  I don't know of a coach, player, or analyst in the league who doesn't like Champ.

                  Anyone who doesn't must not have all three of their brain cells arranged in a row.



                  -----
                  LMAO, all 3 more like 2.
                  sigpic

                  Broncs All the Way Baby!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
                    there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
                    Washington Boy:

                    Bailey is the consensus best CB in the NFL, and 1st team Pro Bowler. I believe he made the biggest plays of the year for the Broncos and single handedly turned around games that could of easily been defeats into victories.

                    To start a thread and question Champ's place in this team and compare his value with "Big Mouth" Portis, is ludicrous and insane.

                    No one will buy your argument on these boards, go try and sell your Champ is worse than Bailey in the Redskins MBs or the Raider's MBs to make those people happy.

                    Here people know too much football to buy that argument.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mike Ditka hates Champ Bailey: "The most overhyped and over-rated player in NFL history" Those were Ditkas exact words earlier this year.

                      My adopted Broncos, Uncle Rico, Alfred Williams, & Antonio Fargas.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        With Champ Bailey and with a year's exp, the Broncos Secondary will finally be a strength again. He's one of or arguably the best CB in the league. I'd make the Portis/Bailey deal 10 out of 10 times. Even the best CBs get beat sometimes, and it's largely a fault of their own, (slipping) because he generally changes directions so fast. Plus, he's great vs. the run too. Champ is the whole package. He makes up for the years I wanted a Deion Sanders type...
                        "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million."-Shannon Sharpe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SouthCarolina24
                          Mike Ditka hates Champ Bailey: "The most overhyped and over-rated player in NFL history" Those were Ditkas exact words earlier this year.

                          So!!!

                          Ask one of the premier WR's in the league (Chad Johnson ) what he thinks about Champ. He only says he is the best CB in the league.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hold the Horses!

                            Okay gang go back and read again. The thrust of his argument was why, if we're going to trade a marquee back for a corner why don't we play more man coverage. If you want to criticize his post focus on the fact that no d plays man all the time. But to name call or imply someone's brain cells aren't working or whatever is just showing yourself to be less than you purport. If he has an opinion that is favorable to Portis, well that's fine. You can disagree but good grief let's chill a little. He didn't say anything bad about Champ. He just said WHY diid we play D the way we did? As a matter of fact a lot of people have asked the question about Coyer's D playing off so much. And yet no one callled Top or the others an idiot for that. This guy just had the misfortune of adding that if you're going to trade a feature back to get the shutdown corner why not use him more? So what exactly was so offensive about that.
                            Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 01-29-2006, 03:37 PM.
                            "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wow, we have ONE analyst who doesn't like Bailey!

                              Originally posted by SouthCarolina24
                              Mike Ditka hates Champ Bailey: "The most overhyped and over-rated player in NFL history" Those were Ditkas exact words earlier this year.
                              BTW, can you provide a link or source to document that?

                              Now, would you like a list of those who DO like him?

                              (I'm not sure there is enough bandwidth here.)

                              -----

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X