Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shut down corner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
    there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
    No corner in the history of the NFL can shut down a wr on every play, game in and game out, When you name a corner a shut down corner that usually means he is excellent in Man to Man coverage, besides qb , corner is probly the hardest position to play in the NFL , Bailey has proved he is one of the best if not the best in the NFL right now, if you throw at him you probley will only complete 2 out of 10 passes, when he gets burned it is usually because he falls down or slips, i think i saw him make around 3 bad mental mistakes where he bit on play action all year. The guy had 15 defended passes, the other two pro bowl corner Ty Law and Deltha Oneal had 8 each, thats 1 more then champ combined. This guy is an excellent pass defender and his Interceptions even went up this year, so people cant complain about that any more either.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      My only problem with Bailey is that sometimes he gets too aggressive and bites on a double-move. This happened in the AFCCG in the first quarter when he bit on the inside move made by Cedric Wilson before Wilson bolted past him and caught the TD pass from Big Ben in the corner of the endzone. But he is an athletic freak and can run with the fastest receivers in the league, and more importantly a guy who has the ability to change a game, so I'm high on him.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by DaWildHorse
        My only problem with Bailey is that sometimes he gets too aggressive and bites on a double-move. This happened in the AFCCG in the first quarter when he bit on the inside move made by Cedric Wilson before Wilson bolted past him and caught the TD pass from Big Ben in the corner of the endzone. But he is an athletic freak and can run with the fastest receivers in the league, and more importantly a guy who has the ability to change a game, so I'm high on him.
        He bit on the pump fake, because Hines would have been wide open.
        sigpic

        Broncs All the Way Baby!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
          He bit on the pump fake, because Hines would have been wide open.

          And when you are playing man, you are taught to go on the first move. You have too or you will get burnt or give up too many yards every time.

          Comment


          • #20
            It doesn't matter if he "shuts down" the competition every time, IMO. He can't cover everybody by himself, but I'd rather have the best corner in the league than the 5th or 6th best back (if that...) in the league. A back has to have an O-line to be good, kinda like Champ needs the D-line to step it up.

            Denver isn't going to be rollin' corners outta the factory, with the talent of a Champ Bailey. But they can roll RB's outta the factory who can match or supercede CP's production...

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
              He bit on the pump fake, because Hines would have been wide open.
              Hines is one of the best. The best is going to beat the best at times; that's why he is the best. The disadvantage to being a cornerback is that he can beat the receiver all day, and it's all invisible. But the one or two times he is burned is out there for all to see. The cameral rolls a replays, the color man comments on it . . . it's news! And if it is on someone of Champ's caliber, it's really news!

              That's why last year, when the 10 or so times Champ was beaten was brought up to Coyer, Coyer pointed out the 500+ times Champ won those matches. You may be the best, but when you come up against the best, it's the best you're coming up against. You're going to get beat at times. It happened to Willie Brown, it happened to Darrell Green, it happened to Deion Sanders, and it happens to all the present day wonders, including Champ.

              All this has been explained before.

              -----

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by topscribe
                Hines is one of the best. The best is going to beat the best at times; that's why he is the best. The disadvantage to being a cornerback is that he can beat the receiver all day, and it's all invisible. But the one or two times he is burned is out there for all to see. The cameral rolls a replays, the color man comments on it . . . it's news! And if it is on someone of Champ's caliber, it's really news!

                That's why last year, when the 10 or so times Champ was beaten was brought up to Coyer, Coyer pointed out the 500+ times Champ won those matches. You may be the best, but when you come up against the best, it's the best you're coming up against. You're going to get beat at times. It happened to Willie Brown, it happened to Darrell Green, it happened to Deion Sanders, and it happens to all the present day wonders, including Champ.

                All this has been explained before.

                -----
                Top, it reminds me of a quote from Michael Jordan...

                I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
                ~ Michael Jordan

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                  Top, it reminds me of a quote from Michael Jordan...

                  I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
                  ~ Michael Jordan
                  Thanks for that, WTM. Are you sure that is the exact quote? . . . Because I'm going to put it into my SAYINGS archive.

                  -ts

                  -----

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    In Champ's defense, a blitz had been called. The assumption by the defense is to go for the first move that close to the goal line the pressure won't allow the QB to reload. The fallacy of course is that the blitz may not get there but you have to play the odds.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by topscribe
                      Thanks for that, WTM. Are you sure that is the exact quote? . . . Because I'm going to put it into my SAYINGS archive.

                      -ts

                      -----

                      I am pretty sure it is. I got it from one of my favorite sites.

                      http://www.famous-quotes-and-quotati...ts-quotes.html

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
                        there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
                        denver had two backs almost go for 1000 yards each.....

                        denver does NOT need Portis.....

                        and bailey made 8 INT's....and saved the playoff game against NE.....

                        lets see.....Portis.....no divisional win....no playoff win....just running yards.....

                        or bailey.....divisional win.....playoff win.....best corner in the league....oh and helped with the great run d this year too
                        "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

                        sigpic
                        -The best in the business-

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
                          there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
                          The "truth" is Bailey is not and never was a "shut down" corner.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                            Top, it reminds me of a quote from Michael Jordan...

                            I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
                            ~ Michael Jordan
                            THat's a great quote WTM, points to you.

                            sigpic

                            Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

                            There are three things you can expect in life:

                            1. Death
                            2. Taxes
                            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Derock
                              The "truth" is Bailey is not and never was a "shut down" corner.
                              He's one of the best in the league. What are you talking about?

                              He has a great number of INTs. I think 8 or 9 and had two TDs, one that turned our season around.

                              sigpic

                              Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

                              There are three things you can expect in life:

                              1. Death
                              2. Taxes
                              3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Mike Ditka hates Champ Bailey: "The most overhyped and over-rated player in NFL history" Those were Ditkas exact words earlier this year.

                                If Mike Ditka can learn to finish a sentence, before jumping to the next sentance, then maybe I would care what he thinks.
                                Last edited by Arab Bronco; 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM.
                                "HOW THEY GONNA TRY ME LIKE DAT?!"- Champ Bailey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X