X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco Head
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck'n Broncos
    there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
    oooooooooooooooooo

Leave a comment:

• SimonSteele
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    BTW, can you provide a link or source to document that?

Now, would you like a list of those who DO like him?

(I'm not sure there is enough bandwidth here.)

-----
    I would like a list of some Top--not because I doubt you but because I like to read good stuff about Champ!

Leave a comment:

• diesel51
    replied
    there was this big fuss made about bailey being a shut down corner. i'm not hatin' on him or anything, even though i totally would've kept portis cause he was a beast in denver. i mean come on, he had something like 15 or 1600 rushing yards in 12 games and one quarter, where he got injured after the 1st quarter and still had 110 rush yards. it was the same day lewis set the single game record, portis would've broken it. i'm not a believer of bailey yet, but still not hatin' i'm given him a chance, my question is, whats the point of a shut down corner if your not gonna play man to man coverage. broncos played man to man and bailey was an inch away from a int and a touchdown the other way. another play the broncos almost stole one in the endzone. i think they should've stuck man to man. rothlisberger picked the zone apart. if ur gonna make a big fuss about getting a shut down corner, use his shut downness and let the man play the man.
    I thought this arguement was over.

Guess not.

Leave a comment:

• bklynbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
    Okay gang go back and read again. The thrust of his argument was why, if we're going to trade a marquee back for a corner why don't we play more man coverage. If you want to criticize his post focus on the fact that no d plays man all the time. But to name call or imply someone's brain cells aren't working or whatever is just showing yourself to be less than you purport. If he has an opinion that is favorable to Portis, well that's fine. You can disagree but good grief let's chill a little. He didn't say anything bad about Champ. He just said WHY diid we play D the way we did? As a matter of fact a lot of people have asked the question about Coyer's D playing off so much. And yet no one callled Top or the others an idiot for that. This guy just had the misfortune of adding that if you're going to trade a feature back to get the shutdown corner why not use him more? So what exactly was so offensive about that.
    the reason why denver doesn't play man coverage more often was because you had rookies on the opposite side of champ. Coyer did not want to put darrent williams in the fire so quickly so once he became a starter he played more zone until williams became more confident with the position and coyer became more confident with darrent, there was alot more man to man. then darrent got hurt and that put foxworth out there and again coyer went to a zone and max blitz which led to denver's demise in the afc championship game.

the more experience those young corners get the more man coverage they will get and it wouldn't hurt to get a talented safety to replace nick ferguson.

Leave a comment:

• Clock
    replied
    Originally posted by Derock
    I agree, Champ is one of the best cover corners in the leagu...perhaps even "the best" in the league. However, I wish people would stop referring to him as a "shutdown" corner and saying "no one will throw to his side of the field" because the truth is Champ is not a Deion Sanders type of defender. The real truth is Champ is as solid of a cover corner you will find in the game "today" but he gets burned and sometimes even embarrassed. No one is afraid of Champ and to refer to him as a shutdown corner in the same respect as Deion is ridiculous. Lets just say Champ is the best CB in the league today and leave it at that...please!

now that is just ridiculous...when did DEION ever come up in run support and put a hit on a guy. Champ Bailey is a SHUT DOWN corner because he is the COMPLETE package. Not only will he shut down the #1 receiver, but he will come up in run support and put a hit on the rb. Deion Sanders was too "dainty" and too "pretty" for that.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Bump.

-----

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    KMartin is right no defense ever plays man coverage every down. However we still do play it a great deal its just that many times our corners play well off the line of scrimage. For Bailey that worked because he good at read and react. It was also major reason he had a career high in ints.

Leave a comment:

• Derock
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    It doesn't matter if he "shuts down" the competition every time, IMO. He can't cover everybody by himself, but I'd rather have the best corner in the league than the 5th or 6th best back (if that...) in the league. A back has to have an O-line to be good, kinda like Champ needs the D-line to step it up.

Denver isn't going to be rollin' corners outta the factory, with the talent of a Champ Bailey. But they can roll RB's outta the factory who can match or supercede CP's production...
    In all fairness and respect to Clinton Portis, he was the "best" running back the Broncos have had since Terrell Davis. And had he remained a Bronco, it was likely he would have broken every Broncos rushing record. Consider since CP left, the Broncos have used multiple backs sharing the rushing load while when he was here, CP was "the" runner and a team leader. The fact that the Broncos needed 2 or more backs to replace him should say enough about the impact he made while here. CP was a major running threat and did a lot for the Broncos so give him his respect.

Leave a comment:

• RBDynasty
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
    Any back we have is capable of 1000+ yards a season, we almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

I'll make that trade every time if I had the chance again.
    End of discussion!

Leave a comment:

• Derock
    replied
    Originally posted by Snk16
    He's one of the best in the league. What are you talking about?

He has a great number of INTs. I think 8 or 9 and had two TDs, one that turned our season around.
    I agree, Champ is one of the best cover corners in the leagu...perhaps even "the best" in the league. However, I wish people would stop referring to him as a "shutdown" corner and saying "no one will throw to his side of the field" because the truth is Champ is not a Deion Sanders type of defender. The real truth is Champ is as solid of a cover corner you will find in the game "today" but he gets burned and sometimes even embarrassed. No one is afraid of Champ and to refer to him as a shutdown corner in the same respect as Deion is ridiculous. Lets just say Champ is the best CB in the league today and leave it at that...please!

Leave a comment:

• Arab Bronco
    replied
    Mike Ditka hates Champ Bailey: "The most overhyped and over-rated player in NFL history" Those were Ditkas exact words earlier this year.

If Mike Ditka can learn to finish a sentence, before jumping to the next sentance, then maybe I would care what he thinks.
    Last edited by Arab Bronco; 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Originally posted by Derock
    The "truth" is Bailey is not and never was a "shut down" corner.
    He's one of the best in the league. What are you talking about?

He has a great number of INTs. I think 8 or 9 and had two TDs, one that turned our season around.

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Originally posted by watchthemiddle
    Top, it reminds me of a quote from Michael Jordan...

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
    ~ Michael Jordan
    THat's a great quote WTM, points to you.

Leave a comment:

• Derock
    replied
    The "truth" is Bailey is not and never was a "shut down" corner.

Leave a comment:

• TheMastermind
    replied
    denver had two backs almost go for 1000 yards each.....

denver does NOT need Portis.....

and bailey made 8 INT's....and saved the playoff game against NE.....

lets see.....Portis.....no divisional win....no playoff win....just running yards.....

or bailey.....divisional win.....playoff win.....best corner in the league....oh and helped with the great run d this year too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X